Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4e-fe, 5e-fe Differences

jamesbissland

Hi All

I was wondering if someone would please be able to tell me the difference's between the 4E-FE & 5E-FE.

YES I know one is a 1300cc and the other is 1500cc.

Are they exactly the same, bar the stroke length?

I would have thought the 5E would have bigger valves than the 4E (being 1500, compare to 1300)

I'm just asking this, as I am bulding up a 4E-FE engine for racing in 0-1300cc class, and being n/a, obviously the more air you can get, the better, so bigger valves would be the go!

-oh yeah, they are both j-spec engines too.

I would really appreciate peoples thoughts....good, or bad :P

Cheers,

James

Hello mate i think you will find the the only difference is the displacment ie. bigger bore. The head is the same size in dimensions but you may as well ploish and port the standard 4e-fe head? ;)

bore is the same.

Stroke is different - different crank and rods.

Slightly off topic, but would it be possible to make a hybrid 4EFE/5EFE turbo. As in 1.5 turbo? <_<

Now that I'd be interested in :yes:

thats what im trying to sort out now

not as difficult as people make out, well running a low psi anyway

well im just gonna use the ct9 and manifolds too start with, but have a front mounted intercooler, custom piping, and ecu from the 4e, and trying to sort out some type of boost controller, and bigger injectors. then everything else from then on can be upgraded bit by bit with out being off the road to long

all to run at about 6psi untill i can upgrade the internals.

i also wanna try and get a block from a 5e-FHE so it can have higher rev limit.

and one of those 6 speed c160 gearbox's.

but it all cost lots of dorrar

Whats the difference between the blocks that give a 5E-FHE a higher rev limit.

Come to Norwich, get a FHE block...

i'm doing a turbo conversion on my starlet 4e-fe engine and to save changing the ecu i'm just running a 5th injector on a pressure switch that comes in on boost, any cold start valve from a k jettronic fule system will work!

think i might misunderstood summin about what gives the fhe its higher compression

I thought about doing that, but ended up deciding the 4e-fte conversion way the more sensible way to go in terms of power coupled with reliability.

the reason im gonna turbo my 5e, is that i want the extra dispalcement. and being the same engine family i woulda thought it will be just as reiable as the 4e as long as you dont go for to much boost without the proper upgrades, and the 5e will out peform the 4e

• 15 years later...

Is there a camshaft difference between the 4efe and the 5efe? 

im trying to find camshafts that can go to 10,000 rpm

• 1 year later...

hello. ive just recently purchased a 1997 paseo si 5efe. as well ive been doing up and turboin a ep91 uk 4efe starlet. ive recently measured the cams. the ep91 4efe has lower valve lift on the inlet cam these measured 40.5mm cam profile. The 5efe inlet measured 41.5mm cam profile, the same as the 4efte jdm ep82 and ep91 at 41.5mm.  

ive only been on the toyota e series engine for a little over a year now.  it appears this isn't common knowledge.