Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My New Yaris after 1st service mpg

YarisOAP

My New Yaris after 1st service mpg Is less by 3 miles per gallon anyone notice this

4 minutes ago, YarisOAP said:

My New Yaris after 1st service mpg Is less by 3 miles per gallon anyone notice this

There are a myriad of reasons for different mpg. How it is driven, colder temperatures, different journeys etc. But having it’s first service is not one of them.

• Like 2

Can you double check what type of oil was used by the dealer, 0w8, 0w16 or 0w20? 

• Like 2

How long after service ? The car is run for service and HHC (Hybrid Health Check) so that will drop the overall mpg

• Like 2

Really? 3mpg?? It's probably just gotten colder or something! 3 mpg is nothing - I reset my average every fillup and there is a 5-6mpg variance across the tank depending on conditions, traffic, driving style etc.!

That said, if you aren't resetting the average, and this 3mpg drop is from your since-new average, it's probably dropped just from the dealer leaving the car on during servicing and it being stationary. According to my dash cam, they took mine for a spin round the block (Presumably to warm the engine up for the oil change because it was stone cold), and then after that it was sat for approx 1 and a half hours 'running' in the service bay before being driven to the cleaning booth.

• Like 3

I can change my car's fuel consumption by shorter journeys, driving faster/slower, driving in snow/rain/ice/sun etc. Or driving on different routes.

So the answer is variable and depends upon driving, let alone using the correct procedure to measure mpg.

• Like 2

As people have said, would suspect time running for service.

Our new Cross shows 76.2 l/100km or 3.7mpg for the day we collected it.

• Like 2

I drive exactly the same and it’s all in town I drive always with active cruise control set to road speed limits this has happened gradually since service and I don’t reset the average mpg 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed a big difference in fuel consumption, not after a service, but after a recall job.

It went down from "an indicated" 67mpg to the low 50's. This did coincide with  a big change

in the weather though.  Now it's not quite so cold, and I've put some air in the tyres, it's  gone

back up to about 60mpg.  Checking accurately on fuel fill up, Between the 19th Jan and 12th Feb

it's doing 55 mpg.  This is with all local stop start driving and no long runs.

• Like 3

Sounds about right. Wind, rain and cold affect the efficiency a lot. Sometimes when the averages consumption indicator has not been reset for a while it may show an old figure from earlier driving especially if the car been used on short trips, if the mileage counter has been reset for some reason like Battery disconnect when in service or recall may reset the dashboard counter too and then you get more accurate figures. 👍

• Like 1

We got our new Yaris in September and have since done 4719 miles recorded on fill to fill.

Up to the end of October we were averaging around 62mpg with a best tank of 66mpg, we now have a cumulative average of 58.7mpg with a lowest figure of 50.2mpg.  MyToyota is claiming 64.2mpg since new so that is about 10% optimistic.

In November we fitted Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres to replace the Continental Eco factory tyres, granted that will have made a little difference, but year round grip overtook ultimate economy for us!!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

The mileage over the last four fill ups seems to be pretty consistent at about 57mpg.

Although the indicate figure is  fairly steady at 61mpg.   We haven't taken it for any long

runs for a while.  Mostly local shopping trips.

• Like 1

Did you have it in Eco mode and dealer changed it to Normal?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, Starensis said:

Did you have it in Eco mode and dealer changed it to Normal?

Not as far as I know.  I did a fill up today and it worked out at  63mpg, so it seems to be creeping up.

Maybe the warmer weather ?

• Like 2

Also the car loosening up as it's broken in probably helps too!

Ironically mine's going down, but I suspect that is mostly my fault... :unsure: :laugh: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Also the car loosening up as it's broken in probably helps too!

Ironically mine's going down, but I suspect that is mostly my fault... :unsure: :laugh: 

hahaha, I am getting your mpg now and you are getting mine ️🪫😂

I think your car will suit wheel covers that look like OZ racing wheels that are mounted on winter rally Yaris to match your wheels size 🚗🛞🏁

9B7171FB-0767-49C3-A69D-AA570C5B2D22.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 11:24 PM, Hadrian1 said:

Not as far as I know.  I did a fill up today and it worked out at  63mpg, so it seems to be creeping up.

Maybe the warmer weather ?

Now averaging 67 mpg  71 mpg indicated on display

• Like 1

The warmer weather definitely helps, up to a point anyway!

I was on for getting into the 80's, but my constant use of AC and being stuck in stationary traffic a lot lately has dropped mine a lot! (Thanks to local councils closing off side roads, funnelling traffic onto main roads, then putting roadworks on those roads! Of course pollution is high with that kind of idiocy!)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The warmer weather definitely helps, up to a point anyway!

I was on for getting into the 80's, but my constant use of AC and being stuck in stationary traffic a lot lately has dropped mine a lot! (Thanks to local councils closing off side roads, funnelling traffic onto main roads, then putting roadworks on those roads! Of course pollution is high with that kind of idiocy!)

True. And also the speed bumps that in fact does not slow down those who are speeding but cause huge amounts of pollution and are big enemy to hybrids efficiency, pulse and glide almost impossible. 

• Like 1

I rest mine after a visit to the delers for a more accurate reading of what I am achiving.

If it in for a service or mot they have to let is stand while it reaches operating temputure for things like sensor, ie radiator & emittion test.

• 3 months later...

We are looking at 59.3 average over 9847 miles on Fuelly. As this involves some towing, I am more than happy.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if dealers are using the 0w8 out of interest? It seems to not be a very commonly used oil