Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 AWD 2.2 Question

Ant-Rav

Good morning everyone, I am thinking of buying a Rav 4 2.2 AWD Diesel 2013-14.(Not the BMW engine Rav) Is there anything i need to look out for, any potential problems - with the AWD system - engine etc, if i am right in my thinking the engine problems were sorted in 2009/10. I also have a caravan 1.4 tonne in weight, i am pretty sure i am ok in that department. Any advice tips or helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.. 

I ran a 2013 2.2 D-CAT auto for seven years from new - it never missed a beat; no engine issues at all ... 🙂

That said, and although the acknowledged issue was resolved in 2008/2009 as you say, the engine is of a very similar design and includes the fifth injector and DPNR in order to reduce emissions. It benefits from good quality fuel and or clean burn additives and regular long runs to reduce / avoid build-up of deposits. The trouble with buying a seven year old car is that you don't know how previous owners have treated it.

Thanks for your input Phillip, here's a stupid question on a Toyota forum - have you any thoughts on the Honda CRV 2.2 AWD diesel similar years, or has anyone any experience of them, AWD is a must have in perfect working order and reliability is a key factor. Though having said that if everyone thinks loke you do the Rav would be my choice. Is the fifth injector a problem in them in general at all

I have no knowledge of the Honda specifically, and the CX5 diesel might be another equivalent alternative but ...

Emission control technology is / must be fitted to most recent Euro 5 or later compliant diesel engines. This adds complexity to an otherwise simple diesel engine and a significant opportunity for things to go wrong. It's then a question of whose diesel technology you really want to trust? Those of us who run Toyotas tend to recon that Toyota's reliability is as good if not better than anyone's.

Thankyou Phillip much appreciated advice. I was thinking Toyota are as good as any.

As far as I know, the Honda 2.2 i-DTEC (N22B - euro 5) is a tried and tested unit with good characteristics. Those I know who've had one did not have any problems. 

I have no experience of the rav 4 so cannot help there , but I did run a 2012 CRV 2.2 idect for 2 years prior to my current Yaris t sport.

I found it reliable, well built and very comfortable and good on fuel for such a large heavy car.

The reason I sold it was only due to my car use reducing substantially , and I worried that my low mileage and short journeys around town would cause problems with blocked dpf and not getting the engine hot enough for long enough for it to run as it should.

Had I kept it and used it as intended ie long journeys I expected it to last to 150,000 miles at least.

Of course , I understand that this is a Toyota forum not Honda , and I respect the advice of rav 4 owners who know them well whereas I do not , and Toyota in general are very reliable and we'll built.

I have a 2013 Rav4 2.2 with just under 65K on the clock purchased in March 2014. Without doubt the best tow car I have had. Caravan towing in Europe is effortless.

Dare I say it but its been spot on and ultra reliable. Tailgate struts replaced in first year and air con condenser replaced under the extended warranty. The only expenditure over and above service plan has been a Battery. Lockdown finally killed it off. 

This age Rav4 features very highly in the "Which" used car Best Buy for medium and large SUV's