Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

UK global window opening & turning off door open alerts

Louie

2 minutes ago, Spartan_Shorai said:

Hi TonyHSD,

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! I've just checked the specs for the icon tech and it says that it has smart entry and auto up, down windows. I presume this is something different then?

Ok, I can see it too but either it’s new for the 2021 icon tech or it’s a mistake, since it’s not listed on the other higher trim grades like design or GR. Best to check with the dealer for confirmation. If you are a night driver design will suit you better since it does have auto dimming rear view mirror, that’s very helpful driving in the night .👍

I have a 2019 2.0 Design hatchback with panroof and my dealer programed my car to open and close all windows including the panroof by holding the unlock button to open the windows and panroof and by the lock button to close windows and panroof.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leo63 said:

I have a 2019 2.0 Design hatchback with panroof and my dealer programed my car to open and close all windows including the panroof by holding the unlock button to open the windows and panroof and by the lock button to close windows and panroof.

And it won't be long before you come back to your parked car to find all the windows open because you sat on the key. If you are lucky it won't be raining.

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

And it won't be long before you come back to your parked car to find all the windows open because you sat on the key. If you are lucky it won't be raining.

Agree entirely. I’ve had it happen in pub car parks. It didn’t take me long to disable it. 

On 6/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, TonyHSD said:

The only three version above have sensors in the handle, the rest you will need the remote to unlock and lock the car. This extra is so useful, once you have the key fob in your pocket that’s it, no need to take it out, minimising the risk of loosing it.

Although getting home after a round of golf and discovering that you don't have your keys in your pocket to unlock the front door can make your heart skip a beat 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Although getting home after a round of golf and discovering that you don't have your keys in your pocket to unlock the front door can make your heart skip a beat 🙂

Daily use before as cabbie in London never had a single funny moment, just got use to it and it’s so helpful especially when you need to jump out and open the doors for passengers and holding an umbrella. Now with my car even not been a driver I still love the extra not to touch my key fob and keep it in the pocket for the whole time. Ok sometimes I start driving the car after been relaxing for a few hours and find out the key it’s not in my pocket, however the car was working as usual therefore I am sure that I will find the key somewhere under the seat in my next stop, and I always do so , for me this together with auto dimming rear view mirror and reversing camera are ultra important extras. 👍

• Like 2

The only thing I'd add to that list is that I quite like automatic dipping headlights. Unfortunately like many here I don't trust the ones on the Corolla.

Oh and all my cars now have to have a digital dashboard. Physical dials are just so last century 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

The only thing I'd add to that list is that I quite like automatic dipping headlights. Unfortunately like many here I don't trust the ones on the Corolla.

Oh and all my cars now have to have a digital dashboard. Physical dials are just so last century 🙂

Yet to try these, still driving an old school car 😂 

8 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Gah! I still keep doing this! Still getting used to this whole keyless thing; It's so weird!!

I still manually lock and unlock the doors, then try and put the key into the ignition, and am confused for a moment, then remember it's keyless, throw the keys into the binnacle, start the car, drive, stop, get out and then go back because I left the keys in the car!

Undoing 15-odd years of muscle-memory is proving harder than I thought! :laugh:

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

That's another one of the things that swung the Mk4 for me - The Mk1 Yaris had a digital dash from the get-go and after that I just couldn't go back to 'normal' dashes! It had such a big clear display without being obtrusive, and was focussed out in front of the car so you didn't even have to refocus your eyes to look at it or squint at some tiny needle - Was definitely ahead of its time. It was also one of the reasons I skipped the Mk3 - How un-Yarissy to go back to analogue dials!

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I had a digital dash on my 1985 Astra GTE and now always switch from analogue to digital speedo when it's available, so I suppose digital displays are also so last century.  My first digital watch in 1972 was not electronic but mechanical, it had two metal disks etched with minutes and hours and you read the time through two small windows in the centre of the display.  It broke after a week, sent back under warranty, replacement broke after a further week, decided to give up on the 'new watch technology' and go back to traditional watches.

On 6/17/2021 at 11:04 PM, Rambler56 said:

I had a digital dash on my 1985 Astra GTE and now always switch from analogue to digital speedo when it's available, so I suppose digital displays are also so last century.  My first digital watch in 1972 was not electronic but mechanical, it had two metal disks etched with minutes and hours and you read the time through two small windows in the centre of the display.  It broke after a week, sent back under warranty, replacement broke after a further week, decided to give up on the 'new watch technology' and go back to traditional watches.

I think you'll find the watch was analogue,  digital requires binary coding to drive 😉

I love digital dash displays,  speed is much more accurate,  as opposed to trying to estimate if the speedo is on this mph or that.

A quick glance is much less distracting!

• Like 1

What a great response to my post.  Thank you all that has replied!

I think its just convenience for me, as I'm an engineer and its good to just have your keys in your pocket and just being able to open the boot/doors.

I have been a victim of having keyless entry where I used to live.  I used to lock my front door but leave my keys in the door....well, my car was parked on the road and they used a repeater and gained entry to the car.  Luckily there was nothing of value in there.  And I learned from my mistakes now!

• 5 months later...

I wondering if there was a way for total window closure on my toyota corolla touring sport like I've had on other cars via car alarms.

Then I found out that you can buy a carley obd2 reader & decoder. Which you can add the window setting but this is a europe & usa settings but cost you nearly £100!

So I went back to the dealers to ask about this & but no one was none the wiser but a lexus manager was in toyota which the 2 dealers are next to each other.

The lexus manager said yes it is possible as it's a europe & usa setting but it can be put on so I said get it in the car then 🙈

So here it is.

Press 🔓twice & hold to open & you can open your desire opening

Press 🔒 twice & hold to close this & let go when you desire if you don't want to fully close your windows.

• Like 1

I've customised a few things on mine with carista, but can't remember if the window operation was amongst them or not.

In any case, I've just had a check and it's working on my car, but honestly don't know if that's because I've done it in Carista or it just came like that. I definitely haven't asked the dealer to change it. It's a feature I never bother with except to ventilate the car before I get in on a hot summer day. So, living in the UK, I tend to use it 2 or 3 times a year 😆

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

I've customised a few things on mine with carista, but can't remember if the window operation was amongst them or not.

In any case, I've just had a check and it's working on my car, but honestly don't know if that's because I've done it in Carista or it just came like that. I definitely haven't asked the dealer to change it. It's a feature I never bother with except to ventilate the car before I get in on a hot summer day. So, living in the UK, I tend to use it 2 or 3 times a year 😆

What features did you manage to unlock? I had OBD Eleven from VAG cars, which had loads of customisation options. 

• Like 1

Hi my dealership programmed my windows to open and close including the panoramic sunroof via the key fob free of charge. On my 2019 Corolla Design hatchback 

• Like 2

Same here, asked them to enable the option on my Yaris when it was in for servicing - Just need to hold unlock to open or hold lock to close all the windows!

Very handy for when I forget to close the windows when I get out of the car, as it saves me having to get back in the car and turn it on again just to close the windows!!

• Like 1

The icon tech now includes smart/keyless entry 

Auto windows refers to 1 touch as in when you open and close them from inside you don’t have to keep holding the switch till it opens/closes

even if you don’t have the option from the dealer (which they happily do for free though you may have to book in advance) if you press the unlock key twice on the fob and keep holding it in the se one press it should open the windows and vice Vera’s on the lock button for closing the windows

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gray86 said:

What features did you manage to unlock? I had OBD Eleven from VAG cars, which had loads of customisation options. 

Nothing very exciting, just things like extending the time it takes for the car to re-lock if you haven't opened the door etc.

I used Carista on the Skoda I had before and I could do a lot more on that car. For example, two things I like to change that I can't on this car: First is disabling the hazards flashing with the locks and enabling beep instead. That's because I prefer not to distract other drivers by flashing my indicators if I happen to have parked on a busy road. The second is disabling the seat belt chime. That's because it's not something I'm ever going to forget, and I work on large industrial sites where I often need to return to the car just to park it after checking in at security - typical speed limit on such sites is 10mph. In such situations, I appreciate *not* having the car insist that I buckle up.

• Like 1

According to the manual for my Mk4 you can change the indicator flashers activating on the remote central locking through the main display, so you might be able to? Less sure about the seatbelt chime, but I'm in the habit of always wearing it out of paranoia, even when I'm e.g. parked in a services :laugh:  If it's possible at all the dealer would be able to do it even if carista can't. Historically these android apps have lagged behind a bit on hidden options for Toyotas compared to german cars - Toyota's Techstream will always be the most up to date way of accessing them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Very handy for when I forget to close the windows when I get out of the car, as it saves me having to get back in the car and turn it on again just to close the windows!!

I run the car with climate control active all the time, so except for the occasional few hundred metres to let out excessive heat, having the windows open when locking the car just doesn't happen.

But, Being able to en the windows with the key fob would be nice, can you do that too ?

• Like 2

Peter, I think it's more useful for cracking all the windows open when leaving a passenger in the car when powered off; opening all the windows when returning to a locked car; closing all the windows after powering off. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Peter, I think it's more useful for cracking all the windows open when leaving a passenger in the car when powered off; opening all the windows when returning to a locked car; closing all the windows after powering off. 

Hi Roy, yes I rushed my last post. I was thinking of when returning to a locked car that I left baking in the sun, which I avoid, but around here not always possible, it would give a bit more time for the hot air to dissipate.

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

According to the manual for my Mk4 you can change the indicator flashers activating on the remote central locking through the main display, so you might be able to? Less sure about the seatbelt chime, but I'm in the habit of always wearing it out of paranoia, even when I'm e.g. parked in a services :laugh:  If it's possible at all the dealer would be able to do it even if carista can't. Historically these android apps have lagged behind a bit on hidden options for Toyotas compared to german cars - Toyota's Techstream will always be the most up to date way of accessing them.

Hmmm I'll double check, but only remember seeing the setting for the number of flashes when you flick it for a lane change. It seems like illicitly licensed copies of Techstream, along with a suitable interface, sell for around £40 on everyone's favourite auction site. Food for thought. I could be tempted to buy an interface and then get the software from the official source to have a look what's possible. I think it can be licensed for use on a one day basis, so not very expensive to use legitimately.

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I run the car with climate control active all the time, so except for the occasional few hundred metres to let out excessive heat, having the windows open when locking the car just doesn't happen.

But, Being able to en the windows with the key fob would be nice, can you do that too ?

It works both ways (open with unlock or close with lock). But you can't combine locking the car with opening the windows, as far as I'm aware.

Been a common feature on cars with both central locking & electric windows for donkeys years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it works by either HOLDing the LOCK to CLOSE the windows, or UNLOCK to OPEN the windows.

This will also lock (or unlock) the doors, so if you wanted to e.g. open the windows but keep the doors locked, you have to hold UNLOCK until the windows opened as much as you want them to (Or hold it until they open all the way), then press lock (press, not hold it!) to re-lock the doors. Or double-press it to deadlock the doors to stop people reaching in to unlock them :laugh: 

It also makes a fairly audible and long beep, which I think will help me locate it next time I'm parked in a field surrounded by hausfrauenpanzers as I was at Goodwood and the British Car show earlier in the year!! :laugh:  The Mk4 is definitely the shortest Yaris out of the 4!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links