Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo rust and MOT failure

cowboyjoe

8 hours ago, Antonio2 said:

Were there any "advisories" on the previous MOT Nick?  It's hard to believe that IF there were no advisories on the previous MOT  - how that level of corrosion could have deteriorated to that extent within 12 months !

Hi Antonio, yes, last year it failed because of rust but it was in a different position (still at the rear but more near the wheel archers near the sills). At the time it cost me £500 to fix. I suspect that perhaps the Garage I took it to last year applied some "liberal" interpretation of the MOT test rules. I looked at it at the time that I'd rather pay £500 than look for another cheap car. In December, I bought the Mrs a Pug107 (60plate). Its in much better condition and will hopefully last a few years. 

7 hours ago, KevinStone said:

I used to be an MOT tester and motor fitter years ago. At this level of rot it will turn out to far worse than it looks. 
I agree with a previous statement, what's the mileage, what's the body work and interior like.
If it was my vehicle I would scrap it, there could be more rot hidden elsewhere and the results of an accident could be catastrophic. 

Cheers Kev. The mileage is 120K and the interior is okayish. There is a fair bit of rust on the front axle beam but not as bad as the back. I think its time to call it quits. Appreciate your reply.

6 hours ago, fordulike said:

Kevin, in your professional opinion, do you think that level of rot is caused by a salty environment?

I do hose down the underside of mine every now and again in winter (maybe not as often as I should 😬). What frequency of underside hose downs would you recommend when the gritters are about?

I do ACF50 all the exposed brake union joints and any reachable metal parts too (twice a year). Obviously avoiding brake discs etc.

Dave, I was thinking of using a product called Lanoguard for use on my Wife's Pug107. You clean the underside of the vehicle and then just spray it on.  They makers say it gives protection for a year. Its pricey though (around £80)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Would you consider wax treatment to keep it going longer ?
I don't know if it's still a lot of use to do it when it's 5- 10 years old ..  There's always a start of rust at that age, somewhere.

Hi Ivan, I'm thinking of getting a product called Lanoguard to use on the Wife's car. It's meant to give you a years protection. Cheers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cowboyjoe said:

Dave, I was thinking of using a product called Lanoguard for use on my Wife's Pug107. You clean the underside of the vehicle and then just spray it on.  They makers say it gives protection for a year. Its pricey though (around £80)

Crikey, and I thought ACF50 was expensive. Although I've got the spray version, I find there's too much overshoot, so I spray loads in the cap and use a paint brush to apply it to as much of the rusty metal I can access.

I only have the luxury of jacking the car up and not a vehicle lift, so it can be a little awkward to reach every rusty spot.

• Like 1

Good to hear it didn't put you off getting another citybug, had our 107 13 years now and it been spot on, for what is a cheap no frills car it been very reliable and cheap to run and work on. Must admit your very rusty one is worse I've seen in years following these car, for what they are they can usually take some abuse, but there are limits. I usually give ours an underside clean and spray once a year, not with anything fancy or expensive and it still looks good, although certain parts ours had surface rust within 6 months of ownership!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, fordulike said:

Crikey, and I thought ACF50 was expensive. Although I've got the spray version, I find there's too much overshoot, so I spray loads in the cap and use a paint brush to apply it to as much of the rusty metal I can access.

I only have the luxury of jacking the car up and not a vehicle lift, so it can be a little awkward to reach every rusty spot.

Apparently, this Lanoguard product was used to protect equipment underwater. It inhibits the rust process. I'm like you, I can only jack the car up with Axle stands! A bit of a pain but nevermind. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Puglet said:

Good to hear it didn't put you off getting another citybug, had our 107 13 years now and it been spot on, for what is a cheap no frills car it been very reliable and cheap to run and work on. Must admit your very rusty one is worse I've seen in years following these car, for what they are they can usually take some abuse, but there are limits. I usually give ours an underside clean and spray once a year, not with anything fancy or expensive and it still looks good, although certain parts ours had surface rust within 6 months of ownership!

Cheers Steve. I think they are still good little cars. I've taken to giving the underside a clean when I wash the car now.  I think it pays to look after your motors. I must admit, our Aygo is exceptionally rusty. I will scrap it and get a little bit of money back. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cowboyjoe said:

Cheers Steve. I think they are still good little cars. I've taken to giving the underside a clean when I wash the car now.  I think it pays to look after your motors. I must admit, our Aygo is exceptionally rusty. I will scrap it and get a little bit of money back. Cheers!

Scrapping this is the wise decision, it’s a death trap and not worth spending money on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cowboyjoe said:

Cheers James. You're right, once rust takes hold its curtains.  Your Volvo 940 is doing really well considering its age eh? Good on yer for keeping it going. It sounds like its well looked after. I've already bought another little run around for the Mrs (Pug107 - 60 plate). Its in much better condition rust wise so should last a couple of years. I will most likely scrap the Aygo (scrap metal company has offered £150 for it) which I don't think is bad. 

I like my Volvo and try to look after it, but used as a work van! A previous owner must  of cavity waxed the sills at some point as rubber bungs in arches/sill ends. I bought it off a forum member who was going to break it for parts but had done his leg in and paid him £250 for it 5 years ago. Had 7 months MOT. Cosmetically not the best externally but after 1k in basic maintenance/service items only one breakdown in 5 years. In tank fuel pump died at 201,000. £80 off eBay and fitted it myself. Every 2 years I re underseal it in a couple of cans of waxoil. This Summer will re- do it once welding has been done. 

Glad you have another car. James👍

• Like 1

This is a test of a 2008 , Peugeot 107, 422.487 km.

That's about 265.000 miles.

See from 06:15 min.

Since you bought it about one year ago with high mileage, this tells me something must have been wrong with the car. 

Maybe a treatment or no treatment could make a big difference like this but I don't know if I can believe that. 

Car been flooded was maybe a reasonable guess.

• Like 1

Well it is pretty old, and given the age nothing so extreme as flooding if it's happened over a period of time. All it takes are some stone chips in the wrong places and living in a damper part of the country and this is not unusual; Extra points if it isn't driven every day!

The backend of the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris have a tendency to rust as they age because it's all exposed.

The one I sold to my bro was fine at first; Where he lives is very damp all year round and all sorts of weird things started happening to the car a year or so after he had it, minor electrical faults like the accelerator pedal position sensors disagreeing making the car go into limp mode, and the radio display failing, and I reckon they were all down to the natural damp and condensation getting a foothold in the car, and the car not being used regularly enough to air it out.

It also didn't help that he kept ignoring the advisories about rust until it finally failed!

I'm hoping all these plastic undertrays help protect the Mk4 from so much chip damage...!

• Like 1

Salt is a bad thing too... I put a beanbag in the car to suck the moist. 

I found the car to be very damp inside otherwise. It's a lot better now.

Totally different thing than a rotten bottom

but not bad to think about too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Auris James said:

I like my Volvo and try to look after it, but used as a work van! A previous owner must  of cavity waxed the sills at some point as rubber bungs in arches/sill ends. I bought it off a forum member who was going to break it for parts but had done his leg in and paid him £250 for it 5 years ago. Had 7 months MOT. Cosmetically not the best externally but after 1k in basic maintenance/service items only one breakdown in 5 years. In tank fuel pump died at 201,000. £80 off ebay and fitted it myself. Every 2 years I re underseal it in a couple of cans of waxoil. This Summer will re- do it once welding has been done. 

Glad you have another car. James👍

Nice one James. Well 1K over 5 years is nothing. Beats paying for a new car on HP over that time. Imagine how much that would of cost? 🙂  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flash22 said:

Bilt Hamber make some good rust inhibitor products, they very well regarded in classic car world

https://bilthamber.com/

Great. I will take a look. Thanks Bob.