Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone upgraded the dash speakers? (UK)

Steve169

11 hours ago, Steve169 said:

Any rattles longer term? 

Cheers 

Only from the boot area 🥲

• 4 months later...

I’ve just done this upgrade too using the JBL 3 1/2” club 322F. I used 220uf muse capacitors (green ones from eBay) in line with the positive cable(after crossing the wires as the harness is wired in reverse for rav4). It all went well but trying to fit the modified harness with the large diameter capacitor is difficult as the space is very limited. I can confirm that the sound is far better than the OEM tweeters which are only 1” diameter.

I didn’t disconnect the cable from the sos Speakers I just unscrewed it from the large plastic bracket and placed it deeper towards the bulkhead. This only applies to the passenger side speaker though. The drivers side only has the tweeter in its plastic housing. I think people get confused that the sos speaker on the passenger side is the tweeter because the housing on the drivers side tweeter is larger to fill the space, whereas on the passenger side, the plastic housing has to accommodate both the tweeter and the sos speaker. The sticker on the back of the two tweeters are a different colour which could also confuse people. The tweeters are a silver colour whereas the the sos speaker is all black. 
I’m very happy with the fairly cheap mod. The sound quality is far richer.
I won’t be replacing the door Speakers as the car will be traded in after 3 years and the dash Speakers can be easily changed back to oem. 
I was in a rush when fitting so I didn’t take any photos unfortunately. 

On 1/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, ernieb said:

Luke, interesting I still find it very confusing and I’m not sure I’d be happy just disconnecting the SOS leads and leaving then disconnected. However, it will be interesting to see how other get on with the modification and how well is performs. I’m usually not bothered about car speakers as I figure it’s a car and not a HiFi system and hardly an environment that is made for quality sound. However, I do find that the speech frequencies are very poor and muddled this may of course be in part due to my age and hearing?

Hi Ernie, is your system JBL ?

Mine is, and I feel that although not mind blowing, is adequate and have not felt the need to improve re Speakers, etc

7 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Mine is, and I feel that although not mind blowing, is adequate and have not felt the need to improve re speakers, etc

No, my PHEV is just the standard Speakers and find the sound a but muddled. I’m usually happy enough to go with the standard Speakers in all my cars but this one is not great. I normally take the stance that it is a car not a home HiFi system and I did try the upgrade but mistakenly thought the extra speaker was a tweeter of some description but had only looked at one side. I may well try again.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Mine is, and I feel that although not mind blowing, is adequate and have not felt the need to improve re speakers, etc

Mine is also JBL and if you pop off the front dash grille it looks totally different.

• Like 1

Hi Reesm and welcome, On the Yaris Dynamic MK4 it has a seperate sos speaker in the center of the dash.

All the rest are JBL Speakers.

10 hours ago, Bill65 said:

Mine is also JBL and if you pop off the front dash grille it looks totally different.

Hi Bill, how do you find the JBL system ?

My own feeling is that it was worth the extra money, also find the 360° camera very useful.

JBL takes a bit of setting up, I found the "mids" were overpowering but a small tweak of the eq fixed that. I'm very pleased with it now.

No 360° camera on my top spec PHEV 😡 I had it on my previous Tiguan and really miss it.

• Like 1

I had the premium pack installed on my 2022 Excel, I'm still getting used to the JBL system and it does seem better with some use. However I'm not sure its worth the extra cost though, I was just expecting a little more of a premeium sound to be honest.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links