Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help please. Alarms going off for no reason.

Waheed Faza

Hello everyone, I own 3 prius. 2012, 2008 and 2007. About 2 months ago I noticed my 2012 prius alarm would go off anytime dat or night. Read forums and tried clearing out any metal objects in sunglasses holder as well as door panels. Most of the time when alarm went off their was no one around the car, no cars passing by. It would go off twice a night or sometimes 10 times a night soon after. During the day it happened as well but was not noticeable due to people around not complaining or me not being home. I tried changing remote batteries too and finally started switching it off using the button in the car and can now avoid this but it was not a solution. Recently my 2008 and 2007 prius have also started showing similar problems. Now I have to keep all 3 cars theft alarms off. If I ever forget they can go off at any time. The only thing I have not done is change my 12v Battery which some people suggested as I don't honestly see any reason while knowing cars that they will need replacing. Specially with 2007 one as it changed around 2 years ago. Has anyone faced similar problems or does anyone have a suggestion as to what should I do?

Sorry about the details. Thank you everyone for your help in advance.🙂

It has been known for things like spiders to trigger alarms. Someone on the forum had that a few months ago and during the summer I had the same problem, spiders. 

• Like 1

Is there any particular place or places in car I should spray to make sure no spiders remain or anything else can be done to locate the sensor that is getting triggered?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Waheed Faza said:

Is there any particular place or places in car I should spray to make sure no spiders remain or anything else can be done to locate the sensor that is getting triggered?

Thank you.

You can hoover properly the whole interior and clean plastics and windows from inside. If still have alarm issues after that you can turn off sensor with button located near the rear view mirror and interior lights switch. 👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waheed Faza said:

Thank you.

Where do spiders usually winter in your home…… corners and dark places, maybe behind sun visors, in storage areas, under seats etc.

I would put a mask on (you not the spider 😄), and spray some fly killer or such like into every corner you want low down-high up and anywhere inbetween, or jus a general spray high up all over, close up the car and leave it for a day.

In my Gen 2 if I leave a turned on mobile phone in the car the alarm goes off. It's a well known issue with the Gen 2. Don't know about newer models though but worth checking.

Thank you. Will certainly try after I finish my isolation and will update on this...🙂

On 1/28/2022 at 12:57 AM, Catlover said:

It has been known for things like spiders to trigger alarms. Someone on the forum had that a few months ago and during the summer I had the same problem, spiders. 

Mine was a moth.