Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris (2017) Reversing Camera blurred

Notoyboy

I've found the camera's image on the screen to be blurred - I can see the outline of bushes etc, but no detail.  Nothing like what I expected or think it should be, but I've not previously had a car with a reversing camera before, so unsure how good the image should be.  So yesterday took the car to my nearest dealer,  Johnson's of Southport.  The services manager had a look, verified the camera was clean, and just said the camera would dry out in the summer.  This isn't quite what I expect of Toyota.  Felt I was being fobbed off. 

Bought the car from Lindop Toyota in Wrexham just before Xmas.  It has just a few weeks of it's 5 year warranty left.

So had a further look at the image today, and I think the image may be a bit better, so it could possibly be drying out.  So, options as I see it:

1.  Go back 40 miles to original Toyota dealership where I bought the car for 2nd opinion, and a more friendly service manager. (I might speak with them to discuss, as I have seem to have a good relationship, having bought the car from them)

2. Trying warming the camera gently with a hair drier, and see if there's any improvement.

Should I really have to just accept the present situation when the car is still within it's warranty?

27 minutes ago, Notoyboy said:

This isn't quite what I expect of Toyota.

The response was from a dealer, not Toyota.

Anyway if there is an issue within the first six months with a car bought from a dealer, you have some protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 regardless of any warranty.

See: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

Extract from the above:

"If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days."

In my view the best approach would be to contact Lindop, speak to the service manager, mention the Consumer Rights Act, and take it from there

It's moisture ingress, as it's a recent purchase it comes under the new Toyota Relax warranty - i would think the camera is classed as part of the multimedia system so isn't covered, but as above

An Aygo owner had a similar issue recently, so it not just an Auris thing

@FROSTYBALLS Thanks very much-  I've seen replies you've previously made to other members about not confusing dealerships with Toyota itself, and now I've made the same mistake myself - doh. And thank you for your consumer rights info.  The 6 months protection is something I'd forgotten, not having bought a "new" car for decades.  I've been concerned about the 5 year warranty running out, but the 6 months cover will allow me to become better aquainted with the car.

As you suggest, I will probably contact Lindop.  Quite like the car, especially the way the 1.6 Turbo diesel pulls, even if diesels no longer in favour due to ESG issues

@flash22Thank you for your reply.  I'm going to monitor the camera's performance over the next few weeks.  Since my original post, I've seen a few posts about cameras problems.  Seems I'm not the only one.

Yours is the most recent car (2017) that I remember seeing suffering with this.  I had wondered if the facelifted Auris, 2015->, might have avoided this problem - they certainly have a slightly redesigned camera lens and a different part number for the camera.

Understandably, the problem is aggravated by hosing the car with a pressure washer, which the selling dealer will almost certainly have done to prepare the car.

Fitting the new camera will take about an hour or so at the dealer.  The interior plastic boot trim, as well as the exterior horizontal trim has to come off.  And also the rear lights on the hatch have to be removed to allow access.  If this is being done under warranty, then I would try to make sure the large foam weather seals, that fit underneath the rear lights, are replaced also.  Ours weren't initially, and the rear light units then literally started to fill up with water when the car was washed after the dealer repair.

The price for a new camera part is around £500+ when I last looked, you really don't want to pay for this repair yourself.  And if you do try a simple fix of your own, then the warranty will probably be voided if/when it subsequently fails.

Auris 05/2015 onwards

86790-02120 - Hatch

86790-02130 - Wagon

looks like they are no longer produced

19 hours ago, Gerg said:

Yours is the most recent car (2017) that I remember seeing suffering with this.  I had wondered if the facelifted Auris, 2015->, might have avoided this problem - they certainly have a slightly redesigned camera lens and a different part number for the camera.

Understandably, the problem is aggravated by hosing the car with a pressure washer, which the selling dealer will almost certainly have done to prepare the car.

Fitting the new camera will take about an hour or so at the dealer.  The interior plastic boot trim, as well as the exterior horizontal trim has to come off.  And also the rear lights on the hatch have to be removed to allow access.  If this is being done under warranty, then I would try to make sure the large foam weather seals, that fit underneath the rear lights, are replaced also.  Ours weren't initially, and the rear light units then literally started to fill up with water when the car was washed after the dealer repair.

The price for a new camera part is around £500+ when I last looked, you really don't want to pay for this repair yourself.  And if you do try a simple fix of your own, then the warranty will probably be voided if/when it subsequently fails.

It’s my aygo that the picture references … with the blurry yellow line on it ..it was water ingress 

I bought a new camera part  off eBay for £30 , my mechanic charged me £10 to fit it 

I didn’t even think of going to dealer , as I know their prices are crazy 

my camera is perfect now 

I get blurry view on mine when its wet and rainy, never really bothered changing it.

3 hours ago, Bitch1001 said:

I bought a new camera part  off eBay for £30

Was that a new one or used?

2 hours ago, roks said:

I get blurry view on mine when its wet and rainy, never really bothered changing it.

Used, tbf prices are all over the place, be aware with the Auris the Hatch and wagon use different cameras

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roks said:

Said used but not a mark on it ..works perfect 

I shall see how the camera performs over the next few weeks.  Unfortunately I didn't really look carefully at the camera's image when I first bought the car.

On the one hand , it would be good for it to work correctly, but if it ultimately it means it's back to the dealership, then I ask myself whether I want bits removed to get at it (thanks Gerg for itemising the work involved).  A few years ago, a dealer left marks on the facia when my previous Corolla was recalled for airbag work.  Maybe with mine being the TS version, the rear lights don't need removing? (spare wheel well presently nice and dry 🙂)

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure you wipe the lens clean regularly, especially in damp or wet weather. It gets dirty quickly with spray and the camera evades the car wash at this time of year. 

Here’s the view from mine currently.

2016 Auris Excel Hybrid hatchback. 

E53B407C-F13E-43E1-B369-FB9A6338191C.jpeg

• Like 1

Also check the camera settings in the menu. Change the contrast and brightness to mid way. I had to do that to mine when I bought my car last year. It improves the image considerably. Hope this helps. 

38EAAA4D-2BBA-47A3-BD58-FC99A79030A5.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaddyBaddy said:

Make sure you wipe the lens clean regularly, especially in damp or wet weather. It gets dirty quickly with spray and the camera evades the car wash at this time of year. 

Here’s the view from mine currently.

2016 Auris Excel Hybrid hatchback. 

E53B407C-F13E-43E1-B369-FB9A6338191C.jpeg

This is at night time by the way. The image is even better in the daylight. 

I imagine that water ingress could be a problem. Hair dryer on it may make a bad situation worse. Try the screen settings though. Mine improved after changing the camera settings back to default. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links