Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla test drive

Spo2

Hi all,

I test drove Corolla hybrid today. I had requested 1.8l Icontech for the test drive but the dealer provided a 2 litre car in Excel trim. I drove hybrid for the first time- so thanks to those who provided pointers for this. The car felt very good- 2 litre engine was nice and punchy, and I also liked the simplicity of the CVT box. Averaged like 52 mpg in mixed driving condition during the test drive. 

Things took a turn, as we saw CH-R there, and my wife prefers that. We did not drive CH-R but we might go for a 2- litre version of that vehicle. 

Thanks,

Sol

There basically the same vehicle mechanically under the skin, there are differences in trim / equipment fitted between the 2 different models.

Ask the dealer for a test drive in a C-HR to see which one suits you both best before making a decision. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Ask the dealer for a test drive in a C-HR to see which one suits you both best before making a decision. 

Wise words. My dealer insisted I try both cars that interested me. My surprise was to choose the one, that going in I was least likely to buy.

• Haha 1

I would still take a test drive in the 1.8 as well.   Less cost to buy, better mpg, lower insurance, and for your use maybe 1.8 is most suitable….only you can tell that. Big is not always best.

• Like 5

Do try the 1.8.  If it does what you want, dont worry about the salesman's lower commission.  😉

Their job is to sell cars not give you exactly what you need.  I bought Toyota and Corolla precisely because the salesman matched my needs to the car.  Sadly he no longer works at my dealers.  We are going to an event next week.  No intention of buying just yet but gives us a chance to evaluate the sales team. 

• Like 3

I hate those "events" - it was ultimately what led to me changing dealers as it was just a mess and nothing more than getting numbers in the door in the hope of closing sales...dumb thing was I was right on the time to be changing and was ready to do it with them and they lost me as a customer as well as the other half and both our replacement cars.

But yes, there is nothing wrong with the 1.8 or for that matter the Yaris Mk4 1.5.

But 1.8 I drove happily for 6 years (2 cars) and for same conditions (i.e. the town stuff) the 2.0 feels much the same - I just fancied a change. On the open road/motorway the 2.0 comes into its own. So weigh up when you will use the car and what matters most. 1.8 in Power mode might surprise you off the line.

• Like 4

Thanks guys. @trashman1965: i drive the  car in the morning for a mere distance of 3.5 miles in town (to journey), park it for a couple of hours, and then come back (back journey). However, I do longer motorway journey 100-250 miles every month or so. 

Re 1) your town driving, do you see any mpg difference between 1.8 and 2 litre engine? 2) On motorway, I assume 2 litre is more pleasant and economical to drive?

I've just bought a 2.0 GR estate.

I'm coming from a GT 86 so the 1.8 wasn't really on my radar.

Spo, I can't speak for the 2.0 but last summer I had a 350 mile journey so time was of the essence. First, and most importantly, despite the time and the rotten weather I found the car extremely comfortable. 

My journey was in two stages, 57 mph and 54 mpg and 55 mph and 46 mpg.  That latter was in diabolical conditions. How the 2.0 would have performed, I don't know. 

The 1.8 will generally be in the low 60s mpg range on long motorway drive 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

I would still take a test drive in the 1.8 as well.   Less cost to buy, better mpg, lower insurance, and for your use maybe 1.8 is most suitable….only you can tell that. Big is not always best.

Also, unless it's finally been updated the C-HR doesn't have an LED dashboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spo2 said:

Re 1) your town driving, do you see any mpg difference between 1.8 and 2 litre engine? 2) On motorway, I assume 2 litre is more pleasant and economical to drive?

Define 'more pleasant'. If you like to duke it out with the others in the outer lane then the 2.0 might be. OTOH if you do what I do and sit quietly in lane one at 60mph it won't be. I very much doubt that anything you do in a 2.0 that feels different to what you can do in 1.8 will be more economical.

Faster acceleration requires more power which requires that you burn more fuel. That's basic physics. I'd be surprised if there was anything the 2.0 could do that was more economical than the 1.8 like-for-like. It's possible that a 1.8 driven hard might be worse than a 2.0 being driven cautiously but for the same journey and same driving style I think the 1.8 will always use at least 10% less fuel.

I think it comes down to driving style. If you are (or want to be) an efficient driver get the 1.8. If you don't care about your fuel bill or the planet and are forever rushing around like blue-**sed fly then get the 2.0 😄

• Like 4

@AndrueC Thank you. We care for the planet, and my wife is staunch believer and supporter of this!

When you drive 1.8 on motorway, is it enough powered to overtake or do you have to plan to overtake? Power mode is also mentioned- so do you switch on the power mode if you require more power? Is this equivalent to the 'sport' mode in other cars? 

Thanks,

S

• Like 1

I have had a Corolla 1.8 Hybrid for 2 years and never had any problems overtaking on a motorway. Even going up hill it has plenty of power.

I would be less confident on a B road. I am driving a hybrid car to save fuel and would not want to increase speed fast.

F

Spo2 (it would be so much nicer to have a name), the Corolla 1.8 hybrid gear is basically the same as my Prius (the Prius is the daddy of all the Toyota hybrids, been on the uk market over 20 years), I hate getting in a bunch on a Mway, finding a gap and going for it to find a open space ahead of them is no problem. Even if I am near the 70 limit I can put my foot down and the car responds very well….and vast majority of my journeys are in Eco mode, I rarely use Normal, and even less Power mode. It is not going to accelerate like a Porsche, but it will probably surprise you how it does respond.

• Like 1

Speed, my first Toyota experience was an extended test in a 1.8 Corolla.  Normally they offered a round the block run but the salesman sensed that that would not clinch a sale.  We had the car for half a day and did just over 100 miles.  At one point, overtaking a truck, I didn't realise the speed until I glanced down and saw 85 indicated. I had simply pulled out and accelerated until passed. What we did notice was the increased noise over 60 compared with my previous car, a Merc.  It was mainly road noise from the tyres. 

Trashman, on events, I recall one event slightly different from what you said.  At the time a new James Bond book, not Fleming, had been written and Q had modified a SAAB Turbo for Bond.  SAAB,  hoping for a film featuring their car made it. The car was then toured around various dealers and I was invited to the new dealership in Inverness. The smoke dispensers and grenade launchers were dummies but the bullet proof glass was real.  In the glove box was a Walther PPK.  I bought two SAABs from them over time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1.8 is more than adequate for pretty much all situations and driving conditions, where it’s not very capable is to race it with sport cars as obviously this one it is not,. It’s an efficient everyday multipurpose car. If you about efficiency and if you do a lots of miles 20-30k or more a year perhaps this is the one to go , if you don’t mind spending extra £2k and always be 10mpg behind but 3 seconds 0-60 ahead then the 2.0 is better option. Either of those two you pick you will not be disappointed on performance or fuel consumption, both does brilliantly in their own league. Driving 1.8 on motorways in UK is not a problem at all if you drive within the speed limits, usually Toyota hybrids are not the best for high speed motorway driving, 80-90 and above, in Europe you almost can’t see a Toyota hybrids on the motorways but once you enter the towns and there are plenty of them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks guys. @trashman1965: i drive the  car in the morning for a mere distance of 3.5 miles in town (to journey), park it for a couple of hours, and then come back (back journey). However, I do longer motorway journey 100-250 miles every month or so. 

I do longer journeys now and again, never found the 1.8 lacking. I wouldn't have been keen on overtaking on A roads, but dual carriageway and motorway it's fine. If you like to sit at 90mph all day long on a motorway then 1.8 (indeed hybrid) is probably not for you. If you enjoy relaxed mixed driving with great economy,  it is a great solution. I just fancied something a little different and as my mileage is low, economy was not the major factor this time.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Driving 1.8 on motorways in UK is not a problem at all if you drive within the speed limits, usually Toyota hybrids are not the best for high speed motorway driving, 80-90 and above, in Europe you almost can’t see a Toyota hybrids on the motorways but once you enter the towns and there are plenty of them. 

Things have moved on, Tony. The last 2-5  years, many people have moved to a Toyota Hybrid. Round my way, where there are some dirt tracks leading to houses, there are plenty of RAV4, but Corolla/Auris, Yaris III & IV, especially IV are common. The C-HR is a big favourite, too. When I take motorway runs, admittedly not every day, I see enough Toyota hybrids to convince me that people are making the choice to reduce emissions.

OTOH, it's true, given a choice between the B road route, and the Autoroute, which time wise are equivalent, I'll take the B road with the Yaris in preference to the Autoroute, unless weather conditions are bad. Two reasons; fuel consumption in better on the B road, where a 80 kph (50 mph) speed limit applies, and the toll fee* on the autoroute adds to cost. 

* There is no annual road tax in France.

• Like 2

I find the Mk4 is more fun on B-roads than 'autoroutes' too :naughty: 

• Like 1

if you go for full safety package,is insurance any cheaper? hav'nt seen any answers to this.

13 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

I do longer journeys now and again, never found the 1.8 lacking. I wouldn't have been keen on overtaking on A roads, but dual carriageway and motorway it's fine. If you like to sit at 90mph all day long on a motorway then 1.8 (indeed hybrid) is probably not for you. If you enjoy relaxed mixed driving with great economy,  it is a great solution. I just fancied something a little different and as my mileage is low, economy was not the major factor this time.

Thanks, my situation is similar. My annual mileage is less than 6-7000, and almost 85% is short distance urban. My current 1 litre turbo has returned 45mpg over last 6k miles. 

26 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

Thanks, my situation is similar. My annual mileage is less than 6-7000, and almost 85% is short distance urban. My current 1 litre turbo has returned 45mpg over last 6k miles. 

You can easily buy and enjoy the bigger 2.0 engine then if you are ok with the price of the car. , the consumption will be better than your current car., it will most likely start from 45mpg and goes up to 55-60mpg in summer days with relaxed driving. 👌

• Like 2

I'm doing roughly 8k miles a year & my commute to work is 10 miles each way on the ring road so I ordered a 2 litre.

My current vehicle can average 45 mpg without trying so a 2 litre Toyota hybrid should be able to better that pretty easily. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links