Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow chains

TonyFR

Just discovered to my surprise (understatement) that snow chains that I have bought for my RAV4 PHEV cannot be fitted to the 235/55R19 tyres.  I hadn't noticed this in the manual, so my fault ultimately. I only carry chains for in extremis conditions in the mountains (and hope never to have to use them) and I have snow tyres (Michelin Alpin) fitted anyway. I only put this post on the forum to warn anybody else who might be contemplating chains for these tyres.

It's in the manual

English

Vehicles with 235/55R19 tires

Tire chains cannot be mounted. Snow tires should be used instead.

French (where I live)

1. *: Il est interdit de monter des chaînes à neige sur les véhicules avec pneus 235/55R19.

Under French law, certain departments (including where I live)  require that  you have winter tyres fitted between 1 November and springtime (I forget date) or else carry chains in the car.

Roger, I love the ease with which the tie wrap is brought round the tyre. 

The instructions in chinglish a delight are 😊

• Like 1

Are they a one fit use?

The instruction say they can be removed and are fitted using a blade of a screwdriver.

pic_013_8541da08-54f6-4081-9ae9-97a9695ec1a6_large.jpg?v=1570765765

On 1/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, TonyFR said:

Just discovered to my surprise (understatement) that snow chains that I have bought for my RAV4 PHEV cannot be fitted to the 235/55R19 tyres.  I hadn't noticed this in the manual, so my fault ultimately. I only carry chains for in extremis conditions in the mountains (and hope never to have to use them) and I have snow tyres (Michelin Alpin) fitted anyway. I only put this post on the forum to warn anybody else who might be contemplating chains for these tyres.

I have the same wheels and tyre - I ended up buying Weissenfels Automatika S chains .

These are quick fit chains with a low profile -very similar in design to the Thule summit (but £100 cheaper). Still pricey though.

I’ve only tried them in the drive and not on snow as a practice fitting - unfortunately our planned Xmas drive to the Alps got curtailed by Covid.

There is plenty of space around the tyre and definitely no risk of rubbing/fouling on the car.

I had some chains from Cyprus.  They were mounted two plastic. Covered rings, drop one half over there wheel and I think you then had to move the car slightly. 

The spacers were chains.  Easy to use but awkward when not being used.  Wish I could get new ones. 

Now I carry snow socks, very much first aid rather than use in the alps though I don't know. 

Thanks MattO - I hadn't heard of Weissenfels so that's very helpful. It does look as if the SUV 10 model is good for our 235/55R19 tyres as seems to be nothing "on the inside" to foul the mechanisms.