Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Launch Flat Battery

Hibird

Hi All

First post here but a regular reader. So the other day I jumped in my Yaris and was unable to fire it up, cigar lighter volmeter said 7.7 volts. I am aware of the many threads on 12v batterry giving problems but the car is in daily use and has given me no issue over the last 12 months. The thing is I can't be 100% sure the car was actually left in 'Park' so my question is if the car was left overnight in anything other than 'Park' would that drain the 12v Battery ?. I am sure the car was locked and 'off' and the keys nowhere near the car so a bit mystified. Anyway fired up instantly with a Noco boost pack. Just trying to figure out why it happend. Look forward to any thoughts

I had the exact same thing recently with my Yaris Excel...

There is always that nagging doubt, did I leave the lights one, interior lights on etc etc. 

Locking the car and off does not work if you didn't select Park or forgot to press off and ignored bong bong. 

My first flat Battery was because I left the lights on/door open/something but I had not heard of the Battery issue. You can never remember. 

Good to hear I am not alone with this. I wil now pay more attention to when parking the vehicle. It has not happened again so I am ruling out a duff Battery for now and that cigar lighter voltmeter gives a good indication of charge status. Look forward to any further thoughts from you guys.

21 minutes ago, Hibird said:

Good to hear I am not alone with this. I wil now pay more attention to when parking the vehicle. It has not happened again so I am ruling out a duff battery for now and that cigar lighter voltmeter gives a good indication of charge status. Look forward to any further thoughts from you guys.

And do read the Handbook Mike, it is all within.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, john p williams said:

And do read the Handbook Mike, it is all within.

I am not sure the handbook will tell me what state I left the car in the day before the disharged Battery !

I will check though. Thanks for your input

• Haha 2

Just now, Hibird said:

I am not sure the handbook will tell me what state I left the car in the day before the disharged battery !

Sorry Mike, it`s my poor wording. I find that constantly reading and re-reading the Handbook helps my discipline of thought and mind in my increasing old age.Do enjoy your fine car.

John, do you read both manuals? 😊

My printed on, at about 250 pages is so so but I find the index is near useless.  The online version at around 600 pages is less easy to read but you can use a search function. 

The problem with both is you need to know what you are looking for. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hibird said:

I am not sure the handbook will tell me what state I left the car in the day before the disharged battery !

Have you connected the MyT app to your car ? If so, the application will tell you where the car is and if the doors are correctly locked.

26 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

John, do you read both manuals? 😊

My printed on, at about 250 pages is so so but I find the index is near useless.  The online version at around 600 pages is less easy to read but you can use a search function. 

The problem with both is you need to know what you are looking for. 

Yes Roy, but I admit to reading the Nav one infrequently. I have set the Nav to do what I want it to do, so I am no longer interested in knowing what it can do in total.

I agree that terminology is important and it is sometimes beneficial to think  both inside and outside of the box. And to cast one`s mind back to when we first started  motoring and ask "what did we used to cal it" or "what is it called now?" or "what do the Americans call it?"

I believe that the use of the Handbook is with a minority of motorists today, but so many motorists invest a small fortune in their cars and simply do not bother to read it for reasons that are best known (or not known) to them.

I find that the modern search facility is one of the better facilities available Roy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

Have you connected the MyT app to your car ? If so, the application will tell you where the car is and if the doors are correctly locked.

Hi Peter, The MyT app has only worked since the 'Ecall' recall was done some weeks ago but how do I see the locked status in the app. I see car location, fuel, milage etc but not the locked status. Please educate me as it could help out while trying to track down the Battery issue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hibird said:

Hi Peter, The MyT app has only worked since the 'Ecall' recall was done some weeks ago but how do I see the locked status in the app. I see car location, fuel, milage etc but not the locked status. Please educate me as it could help out while trying to track down the battery issue.

Under the mileage is a padlock button, press on this for the locked status of your car

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Under the mileage is a padlock button, press on this for the locked status of your car

Thanks for that but I have no padlock under mileage or anywhere else mmmm

1 hour ago, Hibird said:

Thanks for that but I have no padlock under mileage or anywhere else mmmm

IMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.0e6d7266423cea92f42896aadc4a78dd.jpeg

Should look like above, padlock below % fuel and mileage. It will even send you an alert if you have allowed notifications from the app, if the car is unlocked and you have taken the key some distance away, such as going into a shop, or even leaving it in the driveway.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, john p williams said:

I believe that the use of the Handbook is with a minority of motorists today, but so many motorists invest a small fortune in their cars and simply do not bother to read it for reasons that are best known (or not known) to them.

I think that's true, I almost never read the handbook for the Clio or the 208, but I have examined closely the online handbook for the Yaris, I have not bothered with the print copy. One thing is certain, the English used is, let's call it, universal, it certainly isn't written by a UK English speaking person. The main giveaway is the use of the word gasoline. 

I may not have spent as much time examining the manual if I had not had to wait so long for the car, but the use of LTA, RCTA, etc is not necessarily intuitive, and it's nice to know some of the side effects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

IMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.0e6d7266423cea92f42896aadc4a78dd.jpeg

Should look like above, padlock below % fuel and mileage. It will even send you an alert if you have allowed notifications from the app, if the car is unlocked and you have taken the key some distance away, such as going into a shop, or even leaving it in the driveway.

I have a car made in 2020 and I don't have a lock in the application. 

The car lock will only be applied to new cars manufactured in 2021 and 2022.

ADD : I fixed the years, I'm sorry

ADD2 : 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dala said:

The car lock will only be applied to new cars manufactured in 2020 and 2021.

I thought OP had 2022 Yaris, but I see that's not possible, so maybe he has a Yaris III ?

I don't see the padlock for my 2021 Excel..

• Like 1

I also don't see the padlock on my Mk4 2020 Excel. Warning I deleted the MyT app to try to update to see if the padlock came on. Now the app will not reload only goes to 67% upload then stops. Now no MyT app. There seems to be issues downloading with other comments on Google. As we say if it's working don't touch.  This following a flat Battery 12v which has happened 3 times since Oct 2020. 

I have emailed toyota for some feedback on the MyT app. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AlfK said:

I don't have any padlock there either... 🤔

Neither do I....

7V92FFvLClzG-RybdsdRTbSSI0u0xzaOl4xGe3dBgsTQOS3fgySXlIGbaWdIZheimFHxdckxkmu1SdeBTm1agkphZRe_onorlMsXFDakdD6KwkWjYTT8FBmoS_YUMjC_WVa4Kre38lF9M2vUX73_Y4X0f6Dhlt2I_YaFCP0bYe0dq28yPYPTk6duUTdi13s-qC9xG-CpM3NmWjhCVoTVT2iQd7SjBrOk_SS0s02vCVEAWTSuOc3oo5GuCxz5h64In35Kd8APJQwDEZGZPgSZvv0BWA5ellJYxYTqSBrR_yXdk2iL5ZKlNwJI1nd0xUJPYHmtwvkq5gGq08Yi1fB58oEil68x8_7_QIkT9kBkqAVxvae9e-8WABc0m6g1ejxCwFTpabtOtgEK08SlMU4tJB8drxj92h8PGl9ww9Sqy525sQ1iTv52Md81KDz7nm7UV-5l_zOzl43t8andhq4Ncg11FlPkExJLYEBab3kxdxNXPehXBBFjApLVWBgjMl0uvS-4xoWlXpOfRHhee08kU7jlHbQ-OX1tUPTBl4RVAcUD-dUyuhFt-T7jGZJY7HrP-7EHnOQdUX-B7YeqnPUUcoLKiGIzEBnmRo_0W4s-xR16-klNDSjjkdzIqCfRW10pcHofTB3A5bXveAbocnqwvDTbXtj3ftfPDuiFMO_1XQT8S3bi987hxwKym0x_01xr9B0bvaqcOcQi1f9-HNv38C-M8w=w608-h1035-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

It would appear the 'padlock' symbol is a bit of a lottery but as my original concern was a once in 12 month flat Battery event I think chasing the padlock is a bit of distraction for me.

At one time my MyT app was showing a vehicle that was not even mine so I see it more of a work in progress and buggy. Others may have had a better experience.

Any way I am still interested in tracking down the why I had that flat Battery so please share your experience.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I thought OP had 2022 Yaris, but I see that's not possible, so maybe he has a Yaris III ?

It is a Mk 4 Launch Edition

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hibird said:

It would appear the 'padlock' symbol is a bit of a lottery but as my original concern was a once in 12 month flat battery event I think chasing the padlock is a bit of distraction for me.

At one time my MyT app was showing a vehicle that was not even mine so I see it more of a work in progress and buggy. Others may have had a better experience.

Any way I am still interested in tracking down the why I had that flat battery so please share your experience.

My first flat Battery was due to leaving the interior light on my mistake. 

The second was when car had only been for short runs and not being used for 12 days during the cold weather. I could not open car with key fob. Had to manually open AA were called out, started up using booster battery  took car to dealer who checked and charged Battery to inform me Battery was in good condition.

3rd event had been possibly leaving interior light on again by mistake  this I had double checked light was not left on outcome same 2nd time.

Make sure interior lights are left on drains battery overnight.

Hope this helps?

• Like 1

According to the manual the car should automatically turn off interior lights after about 20 minutes to avoid to drain Battery in case you left on by mistake.

Even if the 12V Battery capacity is lower than other cars one I expect that 20 minutes of interior lights should not flatten the Battery.

Moreover I've seen that if you move close to the car with your keyless fob in your pocket, interior lights turn on.  

Are you shure that keyfob has not been left close to the car ?

• Like 1