Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Aygo 1 Starts but does not idle or rev


bwel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

My daughters Aygo 2007 will not start and run. It had not been driven for a couple of weeks and now when trying to start it:

- Fuel pump can be heard priming

- Turning ignition, it fires up but does not continue to run or idle

- even dabbing the accelerator when staring does not seem to push it further. 
 

Battery seems very healthy in terms of the starter and I’ve also charged it fully just in case. 
 

Any ideas ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I’ve attached a video of the dash lights when starting. Sorry it’s taken just now in the dark…
The car has not been jumper started. 
Unfortunately I don’t have Code reader. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same rules always apply

check if you still have petrol,

read codes

See if all connections are connected under the bonnet

Try to jumpstart.. check Battery charge and alternator loading or not

does it get spark and fuel.

>>>Imho if you need to choose one of both, go for spark first as that is, in my experience, a more common failure than not getting fuel.

If the car is not running the lights on the dash say nothing..

In case of no solutions found : call AA / RAC or tow it to a dealer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you using the same key as before, and is the small immobiliser grey chip still present in the key?

I ask because this was exactly the symptom (crank but no start) when I tried to use a key without immobiliser.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How old is the Battery ?, to me, it looks like a Battery and/or alternator issue - the Battery may be fully charged but during crank the voltage may be dropping and causing the electronics to freak out hence the rapid flashing P/S and abs lights

the immobilizer cuts the fuel pump and spark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

How old is the battery ?, to me, it looks like a battery and/or alternator issue - the battery may be fully charged but during crank the voltage may be dropping and causing the electronics to freak out hence the rapid flashing P/S and abs lights

the immobilizer cuts the fuel pump and spark

The Battery is not so old and is cranking full on many times with no determination. I also tested it with a load tester. The alternator was replaced last year. 
 

I’m going to try some tests re the immobiliser today as I found another post that seems similar to my starting problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Check the battery voltage at crank, if the battery was flat and left overnight the cold could have got to it - Alternator, was it a New Denso replacement or a cheap reconditioned unit

The Battery has been load tested and is very strong on starting. The engine starts but stops after a second or so.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Are you using the same key as before, and is the small immobiliser grey chip still present in the key?

I ask because this was exactly the symptom (crank but no start) when I tried to use a key without immobiliser.

I only have the one key and the covers are sealed hard on. 


When you had a starting problem, did the engine initially start but not continue to run or was there no firing up at all ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The immobiliser would normally disable the ignition system, so I'd be very surprised if that's the problem knowing that the engine does fire.

Need to establish that the fuel pump is supplying and maintaining the correct pressure, then move onto electrical checks such as coolant temperature, mass airflow etc. You could experiment with those sensors unplugged but be aware that this will set the check engine light on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

Wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs x

Spark plugs removed and cleaned. They were dry with a little carbon but not too bad. Cleaned up and tried again but no difference. 
 

it’s starting but will then immediately not idle or pick up reva with gas. It does definitely fire up. 
 

New starting video attached. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

The immobiliser would normally disable the ignition system, so I'd be very surprised if that's the problem knowing that the engine does fire.

Need to establish that the fuel pump is supplying and maintaining the correct pressure, then move onto electrical checks such as coolant temperature, mass airflow etc. You could experiment with those sensors unplugged but be aware that this will set the check engine light on.

The fuel line has pressure. I removed it yesterday to check albeit just with a finger over the end plug to feel pressure. I don’t have a pressure meter or connector.  
 

The pump is priming when you first start the key. It could still well be a fuel issue, but I’m not sure what else I can check with limited tools for that. 
 

I understand the Fuel filter is a non changeable part of the fuel pump on these models.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bwel said:

The fuel line has pressure. I removed it yesterday to check albeit just with a finger over the end plug to feel pressure. I don’t have a pressure meter or connector.  
 

The pump is priming when you first start the key. It could still well be a fuel issue, but I’m not sure what else I can check with limited tools for that. 
 

I understand the Fuel filter is a non changeable part of the fuel pump on these models.  

It's a positive sign but not conclusive, unfortunately. It needs to be able to deliver and maintain around 50psi, or whatever the spec is for your particular system. I appreciate that you're trying to do a DIY diagnosis and this is not what you want to hear ☺️

Do you have a simple OBDII code reader to be able to read & fault codes? That might give you some direction and, if you can reset the light, there's no harm in trying it with the sensors that I mention unplugged, just to get some clues.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

It's a positive sign but not conclusive, unfortunately. It needs to be able to deliver and maintain around 50psi, or whatever the spec is for your particular system. I appreciate that you're trying to do a DIY diagnosis and this is not what you want to hear ☺️

Do you have a simple OBDII code reader to be able to read & fault codes? That might give you some direction and, if you can reset the light, there's no harm in trying it with the sensors that I mention unplugged, just to get some clues.

 

Unfortunately I don’t have a code reader. 
I have just unplugged and replugged the sensors around the top of the engine, but it’s made no difference.

Im Running out of ideas now and dont have any specialist tools for fuel pressure or code reading, so I may have to tow it down to a garage tomorrow.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bwel said:

Unfortunately I don’t have a code reader. 
I have just unplugged and replugged the sensors around the top of the engine, but it’s made no difference.

Im Running out of ideas now and dont have any specialist tools for fuel pressure or code reading, so I may have to tow it down to a garage tomorrow.  

Not unplug & replug. Leave unplugged while you try to run it. This will force the system to use a default fuel strategy rather than the value from the sensor, but will also set a fault code.

There's also the classic method of squirting easy start or flammable brake cleaner down the air intake while an assistant turns it over. If you can make it run for longer using that method then you know it's fuel delivery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Billyboy81 said:

Buy an ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 adapter for less than a fiver on ebay and get the free version of the Torque app on your phone. You will then be able to do basic code readings (among other things).

I’ve found a wiFi ODBII reader in my draw that I used on another car a few years back. 
 

Any recommendation for an IOS App that seems to work best with Toyota Argo’s 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bwel said:

When you had a starting problem, did the engine initially start but not continue to run or was there no firing up at all ?

No firing at all - this is how the Toyota immobiliser behaves.

 

NOTE - not all immobilisers behaves this way, e.g. the VW immobiliser behaves differently, it allows the engine to fire but then run only briefly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

No firing at all - this is how the Toyota immobiliser behaves.

 

NOTE - not all immobilisers behaves this way, e.g. the VW immobiliser behaves differently, it allows the engine to fire but then run only briefly.

Aha. Mine is firing up but does not continue to run in steady idle of if you give it gas. 
thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bwel said:

I’ve found a wiFi ODBII reader in my draw that I used on another car a few years back. 
 

Any recommendation for an IOS App that seems to work best with Toyota Argo’s 

 

I’ve got an ODBII connection now, but it reports No DTC codes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rapid flash of the P/S and ABS show it as an electrical issue as i said above, because it's new or only a year old doesn't mean it's not faulty

Take the aux belt off and see if the car runs

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got Car Scanner OBD reader working and it found the B2799 Immobiliser fault. 
There are quite a few YouTube videos on this and how it results in the Car starting but immediately cutting out after 1 or 2 seconds, as mine does. 
 

Unfortunately the process of re syncing  the key, Immobiliser to ECU does not work for me.  I.e. linking OBD pins 4, 13 for 30 mins with key turned does not work. 
 

Any other suggestions to fix this ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership