Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Annoying Dashboard Sound

venomx

Anyone have any ideas as to what causes this annoying popping sort of sound when I drive over small bumps in the road? It's a clicking/popping sort of sound.

Sometimes when I press the dash where I've circled it replicates the sound, usually more when the car is warm. When cold if I press it, it makes no noise. But regardless of temperature, when I drive, it makes the noise over small bumps every time

Been trying to figure it out for months now and just cannot get rid of it.

dashboard.jpg

I have a ph1 yais and it too has these annoying rattles and squeaks. There's no easy solution I'm afraid. Best to remove the clocks and check all the harness es are properly fitted. Use self adhesive felt to cover hard areas, especially where there is plastic to plastic contact. One annoying buzz I located was actually outside of the windscreen on the scuttle -the join of the two perforated portions.

Check the vent duct is in place and not touching the dash when it moves

• 2 weeks later...

Tried everything to get rid of the annoying click/pop sound when going over small bumps.

Removed A pillar, used anti-rattle tape near all the cabling, even replaced the A-Pillar with a new one off eBay. Still no luck

Guess I'll just have to live with it and turn the radio up 🤣

Yes, just take it easy with these cracks and pops, it’s a Toyota and not a Bentley or S Class, it can’t be perfect. My one is full of these , seats springs are noisy, seatbelt adjuster if put high up, dashboard, door cards, but all that comes on and off and I learned to live with and not paying attention. If not broken don’t touch it. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

Are you sure it's not from the radio?

Definitely not the radio as it does it when it's off.

Took the pillar off again and stuck loads of anti rattle tape on it, still no luck. 

I'll have to live with it.

26 minutes ago, venomx said:

Definitely not the radio as it does it when it's off.

Took the pillar off again and stuck loads of anti rattle tape on it, still no luck. 

I'll have to live with it.

Many years ago if the rattling sounds stopped then you knew then that you were in trouble😂🤣🚘

• Like 1

The problem with sounds is that because they transmit (quickly) through solids they may actually be elsewhere. Might be worth moving trim around, pressing different areas and checking inside the dash for contact, even minor, between hard surfaces. It may even be on the other side of the car!

• Thanks 1

Finally narrowed it down to how the A-Pillar connects into place.

It was making the sound quite a lot, I then pulled the A-Pillar towards the inside of the car and it has helped a fair bit.

• Thanks 1

Mine is a ph1, but one noise similar to yours was the base of the pillar trim was rattling against its slot fixing at the bottom. Its a kind of a loop. Used some fabric tape around that portion before refitting which solved that one. Only 200 more to isolate and locate now!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

Mine is a ph1, but one noise similar to yours was the base of the pillar trim was rattling against its slot fixing at the bottom. Its a kind of a loop. Used some fabric tape around that portion before refitting which solved that one. Only 200 more to isolate and locate now!

Do you mean here ?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7d170cc671972f32b2f03c48ffba720a.jpg

Put loads of anti rattle on the pillar the other day, seems to make the noise at times still though. 

I'm getting the underside of the front bumper tightened next week as its quite loose, only realised that my bumper wasn't connected on the drivers side so I have a temporary fix by sticking a screw into it where the original one must have fell out. 

The loose bumper may have something to do with it

It's not quite a rattle but the occasional pop/tick sort of sound 

20220213_175235.jpg

23 hours ago, venomx said:

Do you mean here ?

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.7d170cc671972f32b2f03c48ffba720a.jpg

Yes exactly those points. When refitting just shake it around before clicking into place. That way you'll know if you've isolated the correct points on the trim.

On 2/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, corradovr6 said:

Yes exactly those points. When refitting just shake it around before clicking into place. That way you'll know if you've isolated the correct points on the trim.

Thanks for the advice but I have tried that and it still persists, seems to be getting worse

20220219_083502.jpg

sorry, looked at your image on the phone so it wasnt so clear.  What i was referring to were the nubs that clip in - effectively along that whole bottom edge of the trim. In your image above cover the whole edge with felt and wrap it around the rounded corner before the sharp edge corner

I would cover the mating sections of the pillar with small squares of duck tape..to deaden the sound

2 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

sorry, looked at your image on the phone so it wasnt so clear.  What i was referring to were the nubs that clip in - effectively along that whole bottom edge of the trim. In your image above cover the whole edge with felt and wrap it around the rounded corner before the sharp edge corner

Thanks. If you could point to the bits you mean that'd be great 

Just put some on as you said.  Will monitor it, if it persists I'll leave it 

20220219_135006.jpg

not sure how much effect the felt pieces you have added will have if they are not in contact with anything, but i've tried to illustrate where i would apply the felt.  As it is the parts on the bottom would be most important, but once you fit it, press it in various areas to see if theres any contact.  It might just be easier to get a large piece and cover the whole area. 

The attachment clip could also be an issue - i cut some felt circles and used those there. Made it a bit harder to refit the clips but at least you know it is not a potential noise source 

Inkedyaris trim_LI.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks @corradovr6

Stuck a load of anti-rattle in all of them places, no more noise ! Will monitor it over the next few days

Glad to hear it and good on you for sticking with it!  The only issue now is some of the other masked noises will become more audible...but its a nice project to do.

• Like 1

Noise came back a few hours later.

Over the past week, many times I have taken the A pillar off - applied anti-rattle tape to various things, clipped it back in, noise stops then starts again shortly after.

Took the A pillar off, went for a drive and the noise continues.

Really strange how when I re-seat the A pillar ( or apply anti-rattle to a different place behind it ) it can stop for a while then just mysteriously comes back again

If I pull the A pillar towards the steering wheel it stops for a bit then comes back. Really odd.

Behind the A Pillar, all of the cabling has been anti-rattled so there is no contact at all. Nothing seems loose either

I know I should just live with it but the noise is really annoying

As Hasan has written previously, are you 100% sure that the noises are coming from where you suspect? Noises etc. in cars are not always where they seem to be suspected. My car recently had a rattle and I thought it was the little compartment in the dash, next to the driver's door. As it transpired, it was a broken front suspension spring! The noise has now gone since the spring was replaced.🙄

If it is the A pillar trim then maybe continually removing and refitting might make it worse?

Could be a spring yes. But then why would taking the a pillar off then back on again solve it for a while ? 

E.g. it was making the noise more than usual last week, so I took the a pillar off, then back on again and it was silent for a while.

And the noise existed well before I'd even touched the a pillar in the first place. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links