Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2ZR FE

loz8

Yesterday I watched Utuber Toyota Maintenance he pointed out likely faults on older Corollas with this engine as it ages it uses oil.   I'm asuming it is the same block in my Auris 1'8.  He and the other Utuber master tech always promote 5k oil changes,I'm happy with this as it is my annual mileage. What do others think of Toyotas recommended 10k oil change.?

I do 10k intervals every 2-3 months as I drive a bit more and I have no problems. Been using Petronas 0w20 since 2016 and oem filter. I have some oil consumption around 600-1000ml per 10000miles and the engine started to consume oil around 130k miles, currently at just under 200k and still runs great. No need to change oil at 5000 miles in UK, just stick with manufacturer recommendations and if you prefer do it a bit earlier but never later. 👍

Toyota recommend 11 months or 10k miles whichever comes first so you would end up doing it every 5k anyway. There's a lot of debate on this but personally I do 5k intervals even if I'm throwing money away! Oil burning was due to gummed up piston rings but Toyota redesigned pistons and rings round 2015 so there may not be such a big problem on later ones. Car care nut channel is worth looking at, he's a Toyota master tech, though most of what he says is for US models

Mr Carcarenut actually says 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. That's to cover harsh usage, i.e. cars that are used every day but always for very short distances. Personally, I think that's a little bit OTT if you're using modern fully synthetic oil, but I would agree with at least once a year, even for very low mileage cars.

If a car is hybrid it is likely engine only used approx 60% of time, so a 5000 mile oil change is like changing oil at 3000 in a non hybrid. To me that is excessive, not required. 10000 mile is 6000 the engine run, that’s enough in my mind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

Toyota recommend 11 months or 10k miles

In the UK it is 12 months or 10K miles.

As regards the oil consumption in older Corollas, the issue was supposedly fixed in production in 2005, and I don't recall oil consumption featuring in topics on these forums for later versions of these engines - especially the Auris. There are issues with the 1.33, which is a different engine.

I would suggest Toyota's recommended intervals are fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Saxmaniac got finger stutter ie 11 instead of 12

i agree with FB’s, 12month/10k miles is about right.

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

In the UK it is 12 months or 10K miles.

As regards the oil consumption in older Corollas, the issue was supposedly fixed in production in 2005, and I don't recall oil consumption featuring in topics on these forums for later versions of these engines - especially the Auris. There are issues with the 1.33, which is a different engine.

I would suggest Toyota's recommended intervals are fine.

I think it was fixed, my avensis is 2007 no problem. Or my 2005 yaris, I dont even think the yaris even had that problem. Though I am getting a little lazy with oil changes, as I do low miles and cars are still quiet. Though have to empty my old oil container as still painting the garden shed with it. 

The thing about oil consumption in Auris is really coming from the 3rd generation Prius where 2010 to 2014 commonly had oil burning starting past 100k miles. I know I'm ott with doing 5k oil changes as I don't give it what would be considered hard use, however, the world needs a few eccentrics🥳 

A few years ago I had a motorbike that specified 6k oil changes and I took 3 years to run that up. The smell of petrol contaminating the oil was shocking even though it looked clean

If a car is hybrid it is likely engine only used approx 60% of time, so a 5000 mile oil change is like changing oil at 3000 in anon hybrid. To me that is excessive, not required. 10000 mile is 6000 the engine run, that’s enough in my mind.

you're probably right though I'm happier letting the engine run continuosly for long periods when at motorway speeds. It's under ideal conditions, no starting and stopping, fully to temperature etc. All this is just guesswork but I'm happy changing oil too often! I'm not suggesting anyone else needs to do the same 

So guys,what colour is your oil at 10K and has it changed as car gets older?. those USA cars do high miles and oil looks like treacle.

18 minutes ago, loz8 said:

So guys,what colour is your oil at 10K and has it changed as car gets older?. those USA cars do high miles and oil looks like treacle.

The colour of the old oil will depend on what oil have you been using, how long been in the car, how many miles and how long the car been in ready mode ( any excessive idle). Usually these cars if maintained properly they keep oil very clean until around 4-5k miles after new oil been put in, then the oil starts to darken. When around 9-10k miles the oil becomes darker but never to the colour of a diesel or turbo charge petrol engine and more specifically the direct injected ones. Toyota hybrids are clean burning engines, although they like to accumulate some soot and carbon buildup on egr and intake manifold etc, still the intake galleys, valves, combustion chamber and plugs should be relatively clean and so the oil. I noticed in winter months my oil gets dirtier much quicker than in summer months and also the consumption is a bit higher, up to a litre per 10000 miles., it is like that because I keep the car in ready mode for many hours every day , it’s my work place. Here an example of new oil vs old one 8-9k miles. 

D4D494A4-D9CD-47A0-B0EE-4D48967DE763.jpeg

231F1AB2-3D0F-4121-94BD-AE748229A64C.jpeg

In my Mk1 (1ND-TV), blacker than a midnight blacklight party during a new moon in the stygian abyss on black friday in winter in northern norway

In my Mk2 (1NR-FE), burnt honey

In my Mk4, (M15A-FXE), blood plasma/urine from someone slightly dehydrated