Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

TMC explanation

SimB

Hi all,

Trying to understand how TMC works on my RAV4.   I don't get any alerts on DAB and the only station that appears to work on FM is Classic FM,    Am I doing something wrong or is this it.   In my previous car when on DAB the FM channel alerts were broadcast as I understand in the UK we don't have TMC with DAB channels  for some reason.     Any wise words of wisdom appreciated 

Sorry Simon, I don't think that is going to work on the RAV4P. To be honest on any trip I use Waze/AA and that gives updates on the map screen constantly. If you are travelling a guided route then a change in direction advice will be offered if your original route is compromised.

14 hours ago, SimB said:

Hi all,

Trying to understand how TMC works on my RAV4.   I don't get any alerts on DAB and the only station that appears to work on FM is Classic FM,    Am I doing something wrong or is this it.   In my previous car when on DAB the FM channel alerts were broadcast as I understand in the UK we don't have TMC with DAB channels  for some reason.     Any wise words of wisdom appreciated 

I'm not at all sure that I understand the question but ...

The built-in satellite navigation system uses RDS-TMC traffic data to learn about traffic incidents on your route and alert about delays / reroute accordingly. The RDS-TMC traffic data is received via FM broadcast (on Classic FM as it happens) even when you are not listening to the channel in question.

I believe that is the default setting - that's what mine does & I haven't changed the default - but you can override it to use mobile data to retrieve equivalent information via the internet.

This is, of course, immaterial if you are using AA / ACP for navigation support ... 😉

TMC is only to update the on-board sat navigation. As above, you need to choose if you want to receive this by radio broadcast or Internet in the menu. To receive by Internet, you would need to have your phone connected by WiFi or bluetooth and tethering turned on.

It sounds like you might be talking about the old RDS traffic announcement (TA/TP) service. I'm sure I've seen a setting for this in FM and DAB settings so I guess the unit is capable of it but I think you are correct that the DAB service was turned off several years ago in the UK. I don't use it these days so I'm not sure if the FM service still exists but if it does, and you switched the setting on, it should work. If I recall, it used to cut in if you were listening to a CD or media stick but not sure how it would behave if you were listening to DAB. It's probably worth looking for the options and trying different combinations but I'd try DAB off and FM on to start with.

Found this old thread on the subject and there are some more on other model forums, try a general search across all forums.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links