Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2021 Windscreen Speckles

Stephen_52

Noticed when driving into the sun that what seem like thousands of speckles can be seen across the clean windscreen, very distracting. I found one post about a Rav4 describing this https://bit.ly/3ud3rsM  but wonder, before I contact the dealer,  has anyone else had this problem with a new Yaris? What was the outcome?   

The picture isn't mine it's from the Rav 4 post, but shows the issue, it's only when driving into bright sunlight which is why it wasn't really noticed before.

314862804_RAVWINDSCREENDEFECT.jpg.dd7223c2767bd3195350c75ed1a9f0b8.thumb.jpg.f05eba56e998d043d0491d0f66fca0d7.jpg

• Like 1

Have you thoroughly cleaned the windows inside and out.

Thank you Catlover you're right to ask although the post mentions it's a clean windscreen we've used proprietary Autoglym and also white vinegar nothing affects the issue. I've seen various posts 'off forum' mentioning using things like clay bars etc, but at this stage it's for the dealer to identify the issue, it's booked in for next week I'm sure they'll try the cleaning options first.

I'm looking to see if others have this issue as the dealer seems unaware of an issue. I note on the Rav 4 forum his screen was replaced. The problem is only when in low level direct bright sunshine the screen is perfect otherwise.

• Like 1

don't forget to clean the inside as well as the outside of the windscreen.  

Think you need to raise it with the dealer.

Thank you Trewithy and Frostyballs your comments had already been answered.

The question was has anyone else, other than a Rav 4 owner, had this issue? 

I know this is not the same as your problem but I did have a similar thing in a Ford Fiesta caused by the very fine wires of the heated windscreen.  Sometimes caught sunlight and always caught street lights at night which made it look as if the screen was covered in dust.  As I live in a largely frost free area and usually park overnight in a garage I wouldn't have another car with a heated windscreen.

Good luck with getting it sorted. 

Thanks Trewithy it's only when the sun is at a low level in the sky presumably catching on either surface artifacts I haven't managed to clean, anythings possible, or something within the glass layers. 

The dealer sounded sympathetic when I rang to book it in but hadn't come across this issue before. I expect they'll try a thorough clean and send me away the first time.

It's a plain unheated glass AFAIK. I'm not really speculating on cause at the moment let the dealer come up with the answers. When not in those lighting situations the screen appears perfect.

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

I know this is not the same as your problem but I did have a similar thing in a Ford Fiesta caused by the very fine wires of the heated windscreen.  Sometimes caught sunlight and always caught street lights at night which made it look as if the screen was covered in dust.  As I live in a largely frost free area and usually park overnight in a garage I wouldn't have another car with a heated windscreen.

That’s interesting. I think a lot of Toyota owners on here, including me, would love a heated windscreen. No garage for me, out in the open so catch the frost.

• Like 2

I think I had before that extra in a Ford Focus back in 2015 and I could see the heater elements in the night, a bit annoying in the beginning but than after a while I got use to it, never use this anyway. 

On 1/31/2022 at 9:56 AM, Stephen_52 said:

but wonder, before I contact the dealer,  has anyone else had this problem with a new Yaris? What was the outcome?   

Yes, I'm seeing that on my 2021 Yaris, strange. I put it down to out gassing, for the moment. I have also seen this on previous cars, but I put it down to abrasion from dust and grit over time. Way back in the day, I lived near Denver and I had a 50 mile commute to go to work, and in winter they grit the roads there intensively. The windscreen was replaced after two years !

• Thanks 1

I had a similar thing. It ended up being microfiber cloth lint that got stuck on the inside with the vapors expelled by the new plastic that also gets baked on the inside of the windscreen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, baxuz said:

I had a similar thing. It ended up being microfibre cloth lint that got stuck on the inside with the vapours expelled by the new plastic that also gets baked on the inside of the windscreen.

Now, that makes sense, I probably used too low a grade of microfibre, it was cheap, when I cleaned the window the last time !

Re microfibre cloths, they are amazing, but yes,quality improves matters. I find it best to have slight dampness in the microfibre cloth, helps stop the pulling.

• Like 2

To be honest Catlover I'm more concerned about plastic vapours presumably from the dash area causing the fibres to stick to the windscreen.

The cloth we use would be damp when cleaning the window and a dry one for drying off and removing any moisture smears.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stephen_52 said:

I'm more concerned about plastic vapours presumably from the dash area causing the fibres to stick to the windscreen.

It's normal, and continues for a very long time. 

• Like 1

It's more than likely road traffic film some of it is very acidic/alkali, clean the screen with warm water and a drop of washing up liquid, then dry and use some cutting compound

You can test it on a small area if you like, and it costs nothing

Thanks flash22 as already stated the windscreen has been cleaned thoroughly inside and out.

I certainly have no intention of using any abrasives until the dealer has inspected it and confirmed the issue.

Washing up liquid is a harsh degreaser compared to the like of Glass cleaner that are IPA (Propan-2-o) and PP Glycol based like Fast Glass

Do you have the HUD option on your car ?

Hi flash22 no HUD, it's also not reflected dashboard etc, you are right about detergent and ingredients of course, perhaps I should have said used a product whose sole purpose was to abrade.

At this stage I shall continue to wait for the dealer to examine it and report back.

Any other examples of this problem are welcomed.

Bit of an update we have stickers on the front window, usual National Trust etc, been there since day one, removed one today afraid the microfibre / plastic vapours theory no longer works as they are also under the sticker. The small speckles definitely look to be between the glass not inside, or out.

I'll update as the dealer investigates.

May be a result of stock being left exposed during COVID lockdowns at supplier or Manufacturing plant. Continuous rain, sun, rain, cold, sun………may have left embedded blemishes on glass. It’s also acoustic glass so may be something to do with it?

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 7:03 PM, Trewithy said:

I've not experienced the problem with my mk4 Yaris screen but had exactly the same problem with my 2010 Ford Fiesta. The low harsh sunlight at this time of year does show up any imperfections. Ford made a lot of fuss but eventually replaced the screen. 

This may be a problem with the lamination. Let your dealership take a look and good luck. I hope you get a satisfactory solution. 

• Thanks 1

UPDATE:

Dealers today, told they had cleaned the screen and most of the problem had gone. Tried the torch test through the screen once home and have to admit it looks clear so far. I didn't ask what they'd used, should have done. But, not the technician but the master technician, told me it did look like microfibre.

So thank you to those who suggested this and also properly cleaning the screen you seem to have been right. As a normal driver I was sure the screen was clean inside and out, I was wrong.

Hopefully this is the problem solved.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links