Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dash cam recommendations?

Bcc212

Hi guys,

I was involved in a crash last week and thought it might be useful to have a dash cam on the RAV4 when it arrives. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Ideally I’d like it as small as possible so I cannot see it from my driving position. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Toyota use Nextbase Dash cams, the 380GW usually. Great footage, can be hard wired, free app to download footage. I was first on scene to a very serious motorcycle accident a year or so ago, I was able to show the Police the footage at the scene and email it over to them so some drivers could be eliminated from their enquiries, very worthwhile to have one these days 

• Like 1

The Nextbase dash cam appears on the Toyota pricelist as a dealer fit option. You can choose front only or a front and rear pair. They are not overly intrusive and it's really easy to get the dealer to fit before you pick up your new car ...

• Like 1

I swear by the Nextbase dashcams. They are brilliant and the after sales customer care are really helpful.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, philip42h said:

The Nextbase dash cam appears on the Toyota pricelist as a dealer fit option. You can choose front only or a front and rear pair. They are not overly intrusive and it's really easy to get the dealer to fit before you pick up your new car ...

Unless they follow the manual to the letter and but the rear camera right in your field of view out the back. I had to move my camera to see clearly out the back. It's now to the right of the brake light cluster and and image is clear.

I had dashcams in my cars for at least 10 years now. Nextbase produce good quality video, but their cameras use Battery instead of supercapacitor as an internal power source (needed to finish recording correctly when car is turned off). Unfortunately, batteries will start to fail in a few years and it will result in the video corruption. I switched to supercapacitor dashcams and had no failures, my 1080p viafo is about 6 years old and still works fine (I just change memory card every 2 years).
Have a look here: https://viofouk.co.uk/

You can get a single or dual camera, or have two single cameras front and back. I tried dual camera, but it was killing a memory card too quickly.
Currently, I have single Viofo front facing (hardwired) and little cylinder ddpai on the back (connected to a power outlet in the boot). There are plenty of guides how to install dashcams and takes about 2 hours each, to do it nice and clean.

Another one worth a look is this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003251261292.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.61dc2e0ekeT8ua

H15449b0bcc4e48dab6cf70aa30dddadaw.jpg

Interesting posts, so do Toyota supply a 5V line to the housing or is there a voltage reducer in the camera? Presuming it would normally be a 12v supply.

My friend has Nextbase installed by Toyota in his Corolla and it uses a hardwire kit plugged into to the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. (it transforms 12v to 5v, like any other hardwire kit).

I personally wouldn't buy one from Ali Express......or auction sites if I'm honest, you are on your own if it all goes belly up. Buy one from a reputable seller, at least you have some back up if you need it 

4 minutes ago, Rav4ster said:

My friend has Nextbase installed by Toyota in his Corolla and it uses a hardwire kit plugged into to the diagnostic port under the steering wheel. (it transforms 12v to 5v, like any other hardwire kit).

That is what I thought but I was unable to tell from the images.

It surprises me no manufacturers has not started fitting USB sockets to that to that cover unit.

I initially used a Nextbase 312GW which has a rubber sucker to fix it to the windscreen. Didn't hardwire it but plugged it into the cigar lighter. It worked for recording but had two problems: The passenger often hit it with the sun visor knocking it out of adjustment (not worried about crashing into aeroplanes !) but the worst was that if left on the windscreen it had a habit of falling off at random on sunny days setting the alarm off.

To fix the above problems I had the dealer fit the Toyota standard Nextbase 380GW at the last service. Been happy with it, sticks to screen better and being hardwired is less to think about. Not having a little screen on the back is not an issue as that was of little use.

2 hours ago, Roger_N said:

That is what I thought but I was unable to tell from the images.

It surprises me no manufacturers has not started fitting USB sockets to that to that cover unit.

It’s about time is was legislation to have at least front fitted at the factory.

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

It’s about time is was legislation to have at least front fitted at the factory.

Citroen / DS offer a couple of models with factory fitted front dash cams built in to the rear view mirror surround. 

• Like 1

I reckon insurance rates would drop if all new vehicles were fitted with at least front.

45 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

To fix the above problems I had the dealer fit the Toyota standard Nextbase 380GW at the last service. Been happy with it, sticks to screen better and being hardwired is less to think about. Not having a little screen on the back is not an issue as that was of little use.

I might well get this done before I collect it, I had it ordered and then remove it from the options as it would of took me over the £40,000 list price if the dealer had included it on the main invoice.

I have been looking at this Thinkware cam with optional rear cam, not sure if anyone has any experience of these? I currently have a Nextbase 312GW but want something a little more discreet for when my new RAV is delivered.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/q800pro/

Looks about the same size of a Nextbase!
My Nextbase is mostly hid behind the interior mirror, I can see just enough that I can tell it is recording..

I use Nextbase 412GW's in our cars. Very reliable, tucked mostly behind the mirror (don't need to 'see' it most the time, using their super strong 3M sticky pad - pad sticks to dotted bit of screen a suction pad won't so I can tuck the camera high out the way, cable tucked into trim back to the lighter adaptor) As Rav4ster mentions the batteries can wear out, I recently replaced the Battery in one. As an electronics engineer not difficult (but probably not so easy for an amateur though.)

My wife's MG ZS has a nice usb port up on the mirror surround, brilliant for a Dashcam.

Its sad that the mirror surround already contains a very good high resolution camera for the lane keeping, speed sign reading etc.
Shame manufacturers don't incorporate a Dashcam function in the car using this, add an SD card slot to record video and able to replay on the multimedia screen if needed. The car system would also have access to internal data such as speed, GPS location, collision information. This applies to many cars not just the RAV.

I know the Citroen C5 uses its camera as a built in Dashcam

57 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Looks about the same size of a Nextbase!
My Nextbase is mostly hid behind the interior mirror, I can see just enough that I can tell it is recording..

I do the same, mine goes blank after a few seconds to reduce distraction, the only bit I need to access is the bottom left corner button to lock the current recording file if needed to stop it getting overwritten.

5 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Interesting posts, so do Toyota supply a 5V line to the housing or is there a voltage reducer in the camera? Presuming it would normally be a 12v supply.

I’ve got the Fitcamx one. Not sure how the voltage is handled, there is a lump in the suppled wiring loom, but it’s wrapped in foam tape. It’s all plug & play.

5 hours ago, Parts-King said:

I personally wouldn't buy one from Ali Express......or auction sites if I'm honest, you are on your own if it all goes belly up. Buy one from a reputable seller, at least you have some back up if you need it 

I got the Fitcamx from Amazon USA - not sure if they are reputable or not 😊.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

I reckon insurance rates would drop if all new vehicles were fitted with at least front.

Or it could go up as they can't wriggle out of paying so easily from lack of evidence of fault!

47 minutes ago, Vogit said:

I got the Fitcamx from Amazon USA - not sure if they are reputable or not 😊.

Ah! Thank you!! Someone was asking about integrated dashcams like this in another thread (Which I now probably can't find...) and I couldn't remember what the company was called!

Hi.

Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for the fitment of an HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links