Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash cam recommendations?

Bcc212

Is it only a list of specific dashcams you give discounts for? Or just any HD or better Dashcam?

Got this bundle in a sale (about half current listed price) - plus a hardwire kit , waiting to put it in my new RAV expected this Summer.

Bit worried about fitting it myself - especially for the rear and removing headlining etc. on my expensive new car!

Will Toyota fit cameras they didn't supply? Any recommendations of fitters (I know Halfords offer it but that doesn't fill me with confidence).

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-450454.html

4 minutes ago, Fish N Whips said:

Got this bundle in a sale (about half current listed price) - plus a hardwire kit , waiting to put it in my new RAV expected this Summer.

Bit worried about fitting it myself - especially for the rear and removing headlining etc. on my expensive new car!

Will Toyota fit cameras they didn't supply? Any recommendations of fitters (I know Halfords offer it but that doesn't fill me with confidence).

https://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/nextbase-522gw-front-and-rear-dash-cam-bundle-450454.html

Get the dealer to fit it, you have spent enough on a new car 😉 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fish N Whips said:

The dealer has fitted mine in the past and even moved from one car to the other, no charge as long as you provide them with the hardwire kit

• Like 1

Ugh, one of my dealers quoted £150 to fit my Viofo A129 Duo, haggled them down to £70 as I was getting other stuff done at the time, and they came back and said they were unable to do it as there is a 1-use trim panel that had to come out and I would have to pay another £50 to replace the part... unbelievable!

Ended up doing it myself...

Kinda glad I did tho' judging by how it seems to be standard practise for them to just leave the fuse panel cover off where people here have had it done! My run is so much neater :biggrin:  (Although it was a bit scary ripping out the dash and trim in a brand new car to get at the 12v socket wiring! :eek: )

On 2/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Firecycle said:

I have been looking at this Thinkware cam with optional rear cam, not sure if anyone has any experience of these? I currently have a Nextbase 312GW but want something a little more discreet for when my new RAV is delivered.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/q800pro/

I had the F800 pro on my Land Rover (which is an older model ) and is absolutely 100 times better than the Toyota supplied one, of which i'm already at the second one, due to repeated malfunctions... I won't touch Nextbase with a barge pole from now on.

Mine (a standard dash cam) is fitted (suction) in the top right of my screen. I ran an 8 ft power cable from the USB power supply in the rear middle, goes under the seat, tucked the power cable under the mat, into the inside door trim and works a treat. I cannot see any cable at all. 

• Like 2

Done exactly the same in my Prius

9 hours ago, Fish N Whips said:

Will Toyota fit cameras they didn't supply?

Yes. I supplied the hardwire kit and Nextbase camera. Dealer fitted it for £95.00. At least I know my warranty is intact as I never fitted it.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:14 PM, Firecycle said:

I have been looking at this Thinkware cam with optional rear cam, not sure if anyone has any experience of these? I currently have a Nextbase 312GW but want something a little more discreet for when my new RAV is delivered.

https://thinkwaredashcam.eu/q800pro/

Just incase you have not found the one on offer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075C7JMHN?tag=track-ect-uk-842807-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&ascsubtag=ecSEPlc7hi2rvkz8l0lk4

On 2/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, Fish N Whips said:

Steve when I was ordering my new Yaris Hybrid, and asked them if they would transfer the f&r dash cams to my new car, and they were reluctant to do so. I told them that if they didn’t include transfer to the new car then it was no deal. They weren’t long in changing their tune and agreed to do it as part of the deal. It’s amazing, if you use every lever you can, then they get very cooperative. Don’t get me wrong I’ve used this dealership frequently and in general they are very customer oriented and cooperative. It can’t hurt to pressurize a little.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 8:59 AM, Bcc212 said:

Hi guys,

I was involved in a crash last week and thought it might be useful to have a dash cam on the RAV4 when it arrives. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? 

Ideally I’d like it as small as possible so I cannot see it from my driving position. 

Thanks!

I can recommed the Nextbase 380GWX front and rear cameras, as fitted by Toyota Dealers (£350, or £250 for just the front). Very neat and discreet, very well made and reliable. In my Auris, you can't see it from the driving position at all. You can download the footage to iPhone or Android (quick and esay to do), ready for Police / Insureance if needed. You can also upload footage to Nextbase's server, to save it there. The footage resolution / quality is not as good as some other cameras, such as Viofo, but is perfectly adequate for recording whats occured in a RTC. Cheers, Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, Peterd23 said:

I initially used a Nextbase 312GW which has a rubber sucker to fix it to the windscreen. Didn't hardwire it but plugged it into the cigar lighter. It worked for recording but had two problems: The passenger often hit it with the sun visor knocking it out of adjustment (not worried about crashing into aeroplanes !) but the worst was that if left on the windscreen it had a habit of falling off at random on sunny days setting the alarm off.

To fix the above problems I had the dealer fit the Toyota standard Nextbase 380GW at the last service. Been happy with it, sticks to screen better and being hardwired is less to think about. Not having a little screen on the back is not an issue as that was of little use.

I just had a 380GW fitted by Toyota. How do you get on with the app, every time I use the app I have to put my password in and reconnect, 

• Like 1

I think that’s normal.  Apparently the wifi connection disconnects each time the power is switched off.

See here …..

I don't remember having to enter the password every time but have to confess that I hardly use the app and haven't used it in ages. My process is to take the memory card out after about 6 hours driving and save it to my desktop PC for a couple of weeks before deleting. I am not using the 32Gb card supplied but a 64Gb Sandisk which I had lying round. After the download I empty the memory card.

This may sound OTT but once an oncoming car triggered a speed camera and I thought it worth saving the video in case they thought I had triggered the camera - fortunately then I didn't need to prove anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

I don't remember having to enter the password every time but have to confess that I hardly use the app and haven't used it in ages. My process is to take the memory card out after about 6 hours driving and save it to my desktop PC for a couple of weeks before deleting. I am not using the 32Gb card supplied but a 64Gb Sandisk which I had lying round. After the download I empty the memory card.

This may sound OTT but once an oncoming car triggered a speed camera and I thought it worth saving the video in case they thought I had triggered the camera - fortunately then I didn't need to prove anything.

Thank you 

13 minutes ago, Peterd23 said:

I don't think this is OTT. I do the same thing with my Dashcam. I rotate two 128gb cards in my Nextbase

• Like 1

I recently fitted a Vantrue S1 4K to the Aygo.   The 4K part is a bit misleading as this is only possible if you use only the front camera it is 1080p if you run it two channel with a rear camera.  

Both cameras are glued to the screen rather than on suction cups so they don't fall off but the are removable as they are on brackets that are glued to the screen.  I mounted the front behind the rear view mirror so it does not interview with the forward view.  Quality of the recording is good and one nice touch is the the free app shows both front and back views and also the location of the vehicle on goggle maps.  Power is from the accessory socket which means the parking monitor does not work as power switches off with the ignition.  I have a partial work around in that I have and adapter with a USB plug on one end the cigarette light type socket on the other end.   When I want the parking monitor to work I use this to plug the dash cam into a power bank which is normally used to charge mobiles when away for a mains supply.  

Only been using the dash cam for a few weeks but so far it has been first class.

VANTRUE S1 4K Dash Cam Front and Rear Camera, FHD 1080P Dual Dashcam for Cars, Front 1080P 60fps GPS Dashboard Camera, HDR Night Vision, Motion Detection Parking Monitor, Supercapacitor, Support 256GB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Vbestlife USB Port to 12V Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Female Converter Adapter Cord: Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Anker Power Bank, PowerCore Essential 20000 Portable Charger with PowerIQ Technology and USB-C (Input Only), High-Capacity Battery Pack Compatible with iPhone, Samsung, Huawei, iPad, and More.: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

8 hours ago, Richard Wood said:

I just had a 380GW fitted by Toyota. How do you get on with the app, every time I use the app I have to put my password in and reconnect, 

I don't have to put the password in every time with mine, just touch the "Connect your Dash Cam" icon on the App's home screen (connects instantly, i've got an iPhone SE). You could try asking Nextbase for advice, via their website, they are very helpful (380GW Dash Cam Support (nextbase.com)  

10 hours ago, Graham47 said:

I think that’s normal.  Apparently the wifi connection disconnects each time the power is switched off.

See here …..

I think any password is accepted, I have always used 12345678 and that works. Lol. 

• Like 1

I swear by dashcams. I was involved in an accident where someone drove into the side of me. My insurance company was trying to tell me it was a 50/50 blame. Sent in the Dashcam footage and they came back a couple of days later to say I wasn't at fault.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2022 at 9:53 PM, Cyker said:

Is it only a list of specific dashcams you give discounts for? Or just any HD or better dashcam?

A few insureance companies give a bit of a discount, its not much. Last year, my cheapest quote was from a company that doesn't give a discount (Aviva). Swiftcover and Sure Thing specify the Dash cam has to be a Nextbase. AXA say it has to be "insureance approved", whatever that means. Cheers, Mark

It was a question to the Adrian Flux rep; In my experience most insurance companies that give discounts for dashcams ONLY give them for *specific* models and not just any random Dashcam.

Most of them seem to only give discounts for certain Nextbase dashcams, and occasionally Blackvue, but I've never known one to give discounts for example Street Guardian or Viofo dashcams, which are some of the best dash cams out at the moment IMHO.

• Like 1

Hi.

Where are insurance schemes offer a discount for a dash cam it only needs to be a HD model to qualify.

Regards,

Dan

• Thanks 1