Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do I complain to?

John Marriott

Joe I know this is a Toyota forum & we’re digressing so to speak, but I was pleased to hear your operation like mine was a success. My keyhole surgery was not robotic but performed by a really skilled surgeon who certainly knew what he was doing. Mine had not spread but was confined entirely within the prostate capsule. The surgeon had a biopsy done on the tissue he removed. He told me it was an aggressive form of the cancer & had I not had the operation, I’d be dead within 5 years. However, I do hope other men on this forum read this information & if they’re over 40, they ask their doctor for a yearly PSA, (prostate specific antigen), blood test, which might just save their lives if they happen to have developed prostate cancer, because early diagnosis, like many cancers is crucial. Many apologies to the mods for using this Toyota forum to mention this matter but it is important that men are aware of this cancer that can as Joe & I have proved, be cured.

• Like 3

Many thanks for all your input.

I have sent the info from Devon Aygo to my Toyota dealer. Thanks for that.

The coolant level had dropped. A friend bought me the correct Toyota coolant and I topped it up. (I still had steam)

I did ask for a loan car but none were available. A friend picked me up from the dealer.

I will not attempt to contact a CEO until I hear more.

I’ll keep you all up to date and thanks again to you all.

John, good, yes use the CEO route when you have no joy lower down the food chain. 

Hi Roy. That seems to be the thing to do. I contacted Toyota using their help system and I was told that Toyota are waiting for info from the dealer. No idea what the info is. Keeping my fingers crossed. At least they haven't told me to get lost!

Actually John that can still give you a reason for emailing the CEO.  Let them know who has helped and how well they have done if it is all ended to your satisfaction. 

Always handy for the future 😉

On 4th Feb I contacted Toyota via their web help system. They advised me that my case its being investigated and they are in contact with my Toyota dealer. Once that have heard from them they will get back in touch with me. Today I had a phone call from the dealer advising me that the catalytic converter has been damaged by coolant and needs to be replaced. This will cost just over £1000.  I am now facing a bill in excess of £4000! I have sent another email to CR saying I am disappointed they haven't been in touch and how shocked I am at this additional charge. 

I am an old guy with limited funds and the whole thing is is really hard going.

1 hour ago, John Marriott said:

On 4th Feb I contacted Toyota via their web help system. They advised me that my case its being investigated and they are in contact with my Toyota dealer. Once that have heard from them they will get back in touch with me. Today I had a phone call from the dealer advising me that the catalytic converter has been damaged by coolant and needs to be replaced. This will cost just over £1000.  I am now facing a bill in excess of £4000! I have sent another email to CR saying I am disappointed they haven't been in touch and how shocked I am at this additional charge. 

I am an old guy with limited funds and the whole thing is is really hard going.

Is the car with the dealer , is work underway?

John, it looks as if Toyota and the dealer are not on the same by hymn sheet. You say the Toyota will get back to you once they have heard from the dealer.  You need to have one point of contact.

To avoid being in the middle, ask your dealer to discuss the issue with Toyota and tell them you are awaiting a response from Toyota.

Just seen your response.  Who authorized the work?

I authorised the work. I'm without a car and the work will have to be done at some point.

• 3 months later...

I’d be interested to know what the outcome was here as this sounds like coolant leaking into the exhaust system and NOT head gasket -(the symptoms appear similar). 

there are multiple threads on this: https://priuschat.com/threads/gen-4-coolant-leak.229705/

https://priuschat.com/threads/any-gen-4-owners-out-there-with-blown-head-gasket.230625/page-2

https://priuschat.com/threads/2016-complete-power-loss-breakdown.232196/

https://priuschat.com/threads/engine-coolant-inside-catalytic-converter.204247/

Seems to affect 2016-2019 Prius. So much for Toyota reliability…

• Like 2

The whole situation was very difficult. I am no car tech expert (and I'm happy to be that way) so I had to go with whatever the dealer told me. I was without a car and needed to get mine fixed.

I emailed the CEO having heard nothing from Toyota through normal channels. Within 48 hours I heard from a customer adviser. There was a protracted period of emails the upshot of which was;

I was advised that the head gasket was blown. Coolant had got into the exhaust system and the cat converter(s) needed to be replaced. I had to take the dealers advise over this.

Toyota paid for all the replacement parts and the dealer reduced the labour charge. The car was not under the extended warranty scheme due to covid and my reluctance to travel to the dealer for servicing (I'm an old guy and part of a vulnerable group). I had the car serviced locally which meant no extension to the warranty. 

The car was returned to me and everything now appears to be fine. 

As and unrelated aside, Toyota have withdrawn their franchise from the dealer (Arnold Clark). I live near Aberdeen, Scotland and the nearest Toyota dealers now are in Dundee and Inverness.  Totally ridiculous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marriott said:

As and unrelated aside, Toyota have withdrawn their franchise from the dealer (Arnold Clark). I live near Aberdeen, Scotland and the nearest Toyota dealers now are in Dundee and Inverness.  Totally ridiculous!

Smart move by Toyota, distance themselves away from Arnold Clark.

• Like 1

Thanks for updating. Glad all went ok at the end. 👍

Thanks for the update John and I’m glad everything was sorted out. The reason for me asking for an update was because I’ve had the same problem. I’m happy to advise that Toyota have also agreed to resolve the issue which was coolant leaking into the exhaust system via a part which has since been upgraded. 

• Like 1

John, having gone the CEO route do take the trouble to say thank you and to name anyone who gave notable help. 

Different company and not car related.  After 6 months of promises not being followed up I got an email after contacting the CEO, I was promised action and tomorrow is the Crich day; we shall see. 

On 5/16/2022 at 9:06 AM, John Marriott said:

This is a big problem in Scotland with Arnold taking over many established dealerships to the detriment of customers. ☹️

Not car related but I had a massive problem with Thames Water at the end of last year when they fitted a water meter.  When they started charging me I was charged for water used, waste water and free water, the free water component doubled the bill.  I spent hours on the phone getting more and more frustrated and finally sent an email to the CEO and had an almost immediate response.  It took a while to sort but it was sorted not only that but I was given compensation and I was kept informed through the whole of the process.  We should not need to do this but it looks like the CEO route is they wat to go if you don't seem to be getting there.

To give you an idea of the type help I was getting ringing customer service one rep suggested it might be my kids using the water (although he could not explain what free water was or why I was being charged for it) I informed that we had no children, his response - perhaps it was the grand children then....honest truth.

Hornet, lol, my event coming is Anglian Water.  My meter is in an inaccessible pit 70 yards away on someone else's garden.  

Ugh, makes me glad I've been refusing to let any of these companies install any kind of smart meter! Not heard any good things about them...