Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

OBD fault meter at Aldi

G L J

Not sure this will do anything other than check engine lights 👍

16.99 on eBay free shipping - Streetwise SWOBD4, same thing no name £11 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144335797739

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCiJb6uWGg

Its a rip-off of the Autel MS300/MS309

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-MaxiScan-Diagnostic-Retrieve-Readiness/dp/B07Q86G6MX

• Thanks 1

So, I buy an £11 scanner, it shows up fault codes…… how do I know what these codes mean?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Catlover said:

So, I buy an £11 scanner, it shows up fault codes…… how do I know what these codes mean?

There is normally a manual ( either paper or a cd ) that comes with these cheaper scan tools that you look the code / codes up in.

Remember a fault code is only a guide of where to start looking & you need to investigate further.

My previous car over the 13 years I owned it flagged up a secondary lambda fault code twice - both times the sensor was fine & the code had been flagged due to an exhaust joint leak.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Google

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flash22 said:

16.99 on eBay free shipping - Streetwise SWOBD4, same thing no name £11 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144335797739

Is it really the same? 

Saw a YouTube of someone examining two pieces of kit apparently identical same printed detail on the plastic.  Inside the electronics was different. One had fewer components. 

His conclusion was not that one was fake but that one appeared to be better.  He was not convinced that either was genuine. 

We see this with a certain type of jump starter, compressor, light pack.  Cases are a standard yellow.  The only difference is the label and the price. 

My point is the plastic cases can be produced in hundreds of thousands. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Possibly of interest to the curious and could scare the hypochondriac. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

That's the issue, codes are just a symptom, not a cause, they are to be use as a diagnostic aid

Codes can also be specific to the manufacturer and model of vehicle

You can go to a Chinese supplier and get any devices made to your price point and have it screen printed with what ever - the problem is the Chinese make a good clone of a genuine device, other Chinese companies then make a clone of the clone but cut the costs for maximum profit, copyright and intellectual property mean nothing

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Joe,

I don’t think this can be of any help to your car ownership. That device and all of a similar kind are very limited to only engine sensors data reading and perhaps clearing mil when comes on, these are more suitable for older petrol cars like Corolla or Yaris 2005-2010 for example. The minimum that you have to look at and any hybrid owner is the Carista obd 2 for £25 or OBD Link LX £79, both available on Amazon. These adapters with appropriate app you can dive in the Battery, over 20 ecus and modules , change factory settings like reverse beep, seatbelt alarms and other convenience functions. Check Battery health , Battery cells charge, deviation, 12v battery, you can check and clean more manufacturer specific faults , live data, a lots of things. I get access to most of that you need a subscription, but there is 30 days trials and also you can use the adapter without subscription for basic checks on the engine and only if you have some issues then you can purchase a subscription and go further. , this is what I have done myself, without that would had been dealing with dealers or other garages , unpleasant experiences, Carista saved my day few times and lots of money 💰 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@TonyHSD you say "Carista obd 2 for £25 or OBD Link LX £79, both available on Amazon. These adapters with appropriate app you can dive in the Battery, over 20 ecus and modules , change factory settings like reverse beep, seatbelt alarms and other convenience functions" I'm not techinally minded, but you peaked my interest. What app do you use with these? I ask as the few I have looked at Hybrid Assistant
Dr. Prius / Dr. Hybrid seem only to read what is going on, but cannot rest anything. I am asking as I have been following the Hybrid system malfunction tread and don't want to be caught out. I have no respect for the dealer I bought my car off and I am sure they would enjoy emptying my back account to "fix" this problem. Many thanks in advance. Keep it simple please, for a simple guy.

2 hours ago, Ripped off said:

@TonyHSD you say "Carista obd 2 for £25 or OBD Link LX £79, both available on Amazon. These adapters with appropriate app you can dive in the battery, over 20 ecus and modules , change factory settings like reverse beep, seatbelt alarms and other convenience functions" I'm not techinally minded, but you peaked my interest. What app do you use with these? I ask as the few I have looked at Hybrid Assistant
Dr. Prius / Dr. Hybrid seem only to read what is going on, but cannot rest anything. I am asking as I have been following the Hybrid system malfunction tread and don't want to be caught out. I have no respect for the dealer I bought my car off and I am sure they would enjoy emptying my back account to "fix" this problem. Many thanks in advance. Keep it simple please, for a simple guy.

Exactly because of that matter Carista helped me twice where otherwise would had been dealer (garage) diagnostic or tech stream with laptop that I have non of these. First time was a speed sensor that these cheap obd readers does not support, second time was exactly that fault: “Hybrid system malfunction “, both cases I was able to read, fix the car and delete the faults by myself. I had Carista for 2 years and never used for anything other than try it to see if it works until the faults came up, the first one I activated the free trial then after I had to purchase a subscription £49 a year, you can buy one year only or 3 months for £19.99 or one month for £9.99 and cancel any time. The obd 2 adapter can be used with various other apps like dr Prius , hybrid assistant etc for live data monitoring., well worth the £25 imo. Here some screen shoots. 

D6AAA1BA-4D65-4B06-8943-DEAF95D87B11.png

ED9C813A-C5FC-4FD1-9790-2998B0809B57.jpeg

23CDB8E6-3AE2-40F0-B91B-D10EC82B8812.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi Joe,

I don’t think this can be of any help to your car ownership. That device and all of a similar kind are very limited to only engine sensors data reading and perhaps clearing mil when comes on, these are more suitable for older petrol cars like Corolla or Yaris 2005-2010 for example. The minimum that you have to look at and any hybrid owner is the Carista obd 2 for £25 or OBD Link LX £79, both available on Amazon. These adapters with appropriate app you can dive in the battery, over 20 ecus and modules , change factory settings like reverse beep, seatbelt alarms and other convenience functions. Check battery health , battery cells charge, deviation, 12v battery, you can check and clean more manufacturer specific faults , live data, a lots of things. I get access to most of that you need a subscription, but there is 30 days trials and also you can use the adapter without subscription for basic checks on the engine and only if you have some issues then you can purchase a subscription and go further. , this is what I have done myself, without that would had been dealing with dealers or other garages , unpleasant experiences, Carista saved my day few times and lots of money 💰 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Exactly because of that matter Carista helped me twice where otherwise would had been dealer (garage) diagnostic or tech stream with laptop that I have non of these. First time was a speed sensor that these cheap obd readers does not support, second time was exactly that fault: “Hybrid system malfunction “, both cases I was able to read, fix the car and delete the faults by myself. I had Carista for 2 years and never used for anything other than try it to see if it works until the faults came up, the first one I activated the free trial then after I had to purchase a subscription £49 a year, you can buy one year only or 3 months for £19.99 or one month for £9.99 and cancel any time. The obd 2 adapter can be used with various other apps like dr Prius , hybrid assistant etc for live data monitoring., well worth the £25 imo. Here some screen shoots. 

D6AAA1BA-4D65-4B06-8943-DEAF95D87B11.png

ED9C813A-C5FC-4FD1-9790-2998B0809B57.jpeg

23CDB8E6-3AE2-40F0-B91B-D10EC82B8812.jpeg

Thank you so much! Will look into getting one from Amazon when I get paid next month. If I get anything "funny" i can always do th eone month then end it and do another one when needed. Is it straight forward to attach to the car? I have an Android phone, so app plus bluetooth is all I need? lastly can you run the diagnostics without the payment or does the app needed to be paid for before the Diag and fix? Told ya I wasn't a techie 😞

8 minutes ago, Ripped off said:

Thank you so much! Will look into getting one from Amazon when I get paid next month. If I get anything "funny" i can always do th eone month then end it and do another one when needed. Is it straight forward to attach to the car? I have an Android phone, so app plus bluetooth is all I need? lastly can you run the diagnostics without the payment or does the app needed to be paid for before the Diag and fix? Told ya I wasn't a techie 😞

Hi, 

Yes it’s as simple as can be, just plug into the obd 2 port on your car , open the app and connect with your phone, you will need to download the app first. You can run diagnostic trouble codes for free or use with other apps, however for more advanced work you will need a subscription, one month free and then you can cancel it if you don’t want to pay. , you can read the reviews too before you make a purchase 👍

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links