Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tell me all about the 1.2T?

davidif

Hi everyone i am about to 'upgrade' my Aygo 2017 to a slightly earlier but obviously better equipped Auris.

I'll be looking to buy approved used to own for approx. 3 years and of an age that I should benefit from the 10 year Relax Warranty for the duration of my ownership.

Is there anything I need to know about this engine/car combination?

Thanks.

TBH not enough people got one for any major issues to appear; Apparently the intake valves are susceptible to carbon buildup due to the engine being purely direct injection, but other than that I can't think of any major issues... Some have reported increased oil use with age, but that's usually a fact of life with turbocharged petrol engines anyway...

It's probably the most reliable of the small-CC turbo engines around currently (And definitely better than the Ford Ecoboom :laugh: )

Maybe just have a look through old forum posts...?

• Like 1

Two cases of high pressure fuel pump needed replacement as far as I am aware from the forum and it’s not cheap, but if the car is under warranty then nothing to worry about. If it’s a manual I am ok with it but if we are talking about cvt auto then a hybrid is a better choice. 👍

• Thanks 1

Yeah, with any automatic the HSD is just better. Heck, I'm a die-hard manual driver and I hate automatics, but the HSD is more like driving an EV so I don't hate it so much :laugh: 

And technically it isn't a gearbox so it gets out of my autobox hate that way too :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting, I had to have the high pressure fuel rail replaced on my 1.5 3cyl Ford turbo, also direct injection. This was though the latest ecoboost which doesn't seem to have the same issues as the previous ones.  Nice engine actually.

16 hours ago, davidif said:

Hi everyone i am about to 'upgrade' my Aygo 2017 to a slightly earlier but obviously better equipped Auris.

I'll be looking to buy approved used to own for approx. 3 years and of an age that I should benefit from the 10 year Relax Warranty for the duration of my ownership.

Is there anything I need to know about this engine/car combination?

Thanks.

Hi, I've got an Auris 1.2  2016  it's almost a year since I bought it  , faultless so far , I've only changed wipers blades , on a long run the MPG it's quite decent , my best is 49 , but now it's 36 average ,  probably because of short runs , it a bit noisy , to be honest sometimes I am struggling to control it specilay in the morning , I do regret that I didn't save a bit more to buy a hybrid , but now it to late ))) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

TBH not enough people got one for any major issues to appear; Apparently the intake valves are susceptible to carbon buildup due to the engine being purely direct injection, but other than that I can't think of any major issues... Some have reported increased oil use with age, but that's usually a fact of life with turbocharged petrol engines anyway...

It's probably the most reliable of the small-CC turbo engines around currently (And definitely better than the Ford Ecoboom :laugh: )

Maybe just have a look through old forum posts...?

I have been looking although as you say there are not too many about either for problems to be widely known or for there to be many forum posts.

My use pattern involving an approx. 20 mile commute to work each day(almost all motorway/A road) usually lends itself to good fuel efficiency and I am hoping that this may help with the carbon buildup due to direct injection.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Two cases of high pressure fuel pump needed replacement as far as I am aware from the forum and it’s not cheap, but if the car is under warranty then nothing to worry about. If it’s a manual I am ok with it but if we are talking about cvt auto then a hybrid is a better choice. 👍

This car will be a manual, I am familiar with the Hybrid System as our 'main' car is a 2019 CH-R Hybrid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Filip.08 said:

Hi, I've got an Auris 1.2  2016  it's almost a year since I bought it  , faultless so far , I've only changed wipers blades , on a long run the MPG it's quite decent , my best is 49 , but now it's 36 average ,  probably because of short runs , it a bit noisy , to be honest sometimes I am struggling to control it specilay in the morning , I do regret that I didn't save a bit more to buy a hybrid , but now it to late ))) 

Thanks Filp, I was hoping for somewhat better fuel economy than you report. no doubt the short runs will do the economy no favours.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidif said:

This car will be a manual, I am familiar with the Hybrid System as our 'main' car is a 2019 CH-R Hybrid.

If it’s me looking for a second car that can be smaller I will probably buy a Yaris hybrid 2020-> , these little cars are ultra efficient, nice looking and very agile. With the rising number of cars and less space to park this seems to me like one of the best hybrid option for commuting., I would be very interested of getting one myself but the problem is that I drive 200miles a day longer wheel base really matters here, otherwise definitely will have one myself 👌🚗 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davidif said:

If it’s me looking for a second car that can be smaller I will probably buy a Yaris hybrid 2020-> , these little cars are ultra efficient, nice looking and very agile. With the rising number of cars and less space to park this seems to me like one of the best hybrid option for commuting., I would be very interested of getting one myself but the problem is that I drive 200miles a day longer wheel base really matters here, otherwise definitely will have one myself 👌🚗 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks Tony. I am not particularly looking for a smaller car(its replacing an Aygo). As much as I like the Mk4 Yaris Hybrid it is a little over budget of up to approx. £10k

The appeal of this age Auris is that I can get into one for budget and be able to benefit from the remaining 3/4 years of the Relax Warranty.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davidif said:

Thanks Tony. I am not particularly looking for a smaller car(its replacing an Aygo). As much as I like the Mk4 Yaris Hybrid it is a little over budget of up to approx. £10k

The appeal of this age Auris is that I can get into one for budget and be able to benefit from the remaining 3/4 years of the Relax Warranty.

Ok, I was thinking a budget of £20k. 1.2 manual make sense then for the money 👌 if there aren’t any Auris available and you can stretch a bit £13-15k then there are some good Corollas with the same engine. I do think that 1.2T manual  at least would be a fun to drive, although I had never tried one. I only tried Auris 1.33 and 1.6 but they both seemed to me very sluggish to accelerator input  in comparison with the hybrid one. 

I have the 1.2L 6 speed manual Corolla ,Icon Tech   in Scarlet flame  .

It is good to drive once you get out of town but not as nice as the Auris hybrid it replaced in urban areas .

Fuel economy , not great and it does prefer the premium juice .

In the Corolla you get  rev matching on down shifts ( sports mode only ) and a stall resistant clutch . Let the clutch up slowly in 1st gear and reverse and it will pull away without touching the gas pedal ( provided brake hold is not engaged ) . Similar to the creep function on an automatic .

Not sure if the Auris 1.2l  has the same

Performance is pretty good though , this chap on youtube managed 0-60mph in 8.7 secs using sports mode .

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, st901 said:

I have the 1.2L 6 speed manual Corolla ,Icon Tech   in Scarlet flame  .

It is good to drive once you get out of town but not as nice as the Auris hybrid it replaced in urban areas .

Fuel economy , not great and it does prefer the premium juice .

In the Corolla you get  rev matching on down shifts ( sports mode only ) and a stall resistant clutch . Let the clutch up slowly in 1st gear and reverse and it will pull away without touching the gas pedal ( provided brake hold is not engaged ) . Similar to the creep function on an automatic .

Not sure if the Auris 1.2l  has the same

Performance is pretty good though , this chap on youtube managed 0-60mph in 8.7 secs using sports mode .

Heheh, I am driving these roads so often 👌🏎 the car seems like a good one to me and the engine is nice too, plus positive reviews from other people. Only I missed the manual handbrake, would have suits the manual transmission a lot for those winter days on the snow 🏁🚗

5:04 - Heeey I know that road, it's the Dunstable bypass to get onto the A5! :driving: :naughty:

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, I was thinking a budget of £20k. 1.2 manual make sense then for the money 👌 if there aren’t any Auris available and you can stretch a bit £13-15k then there are some good Corollas with the same engine. I do think that 1.2T manual  at least would be a fun to drive, although I had never tried one. I only tried Auris 1.33 and 1.6 but they both seemed to me very sluggish to accelerator input  in comparison with the hybrid one. 

I hadn't realised that I could get a current model car for a little more. Hmm budget creep thoughts!!

• Like 1

Another thought has just come to mind. Is the catalytic converter easily stolen or is it more integrated in the engine bay??

Once again thanks.

1 hour ago, davidif said:

Another thought has just come to mind. Is the catalytic converter easily stolen or is it more integrated in the engine bay??

Once again thanks.

No, these are ok and cat is closer to engine but there are plates available for Corolla that fit all engines and protects about thieves, also cat things are kind of going down recently 👍

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

No, these are ok and cat is closer to engine but there are plates available for Corolla that fit all engines and protects about thieves, also cat things are kind of going down recently 👍

Great news, I'm going to look at an Auris later this afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davidif said:

Great news, I'm going to look at an Auris later this afternoon.

Auris is the same as Prius gen3 and has been targeted a lot, Corolla is more secure in terms of cat thefts. 👍

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Auris is the same as Prius gen3 and has been targeted a lot, Corolla is more secure in terms of cat thefts. 👍

Thanks Tony, does this apply to all petrol engines or just the Hybrid?

1 hour ago, davidif said:

Thanks Tony, does this apply to all petrol engines or just the Hybrid?

Actually they do steal from the hybrids mostly and the 1.6 petrol which is very similar engine and exhaust layout. But again , there are plates that protects and easy to add on, plus cat thefts are on decline recently it seems like., 👍 1.2T not affected as far as I am aware. 

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Actually they do steal from the hybrids mostly and the 1.6 petrol which is very similar engine and exhaust layout. But again , there are plates that protects and easy to add on, plus cat thefts are on decline recently it seems like., 👍 1.2T not affected as far as I am aware. 

Good news. Thanks 

Deposit placed today and hopefully collecting an Auris 1.2T later this week. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links