Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T25 2.2 D4D oil leak from PCV Breather.

robt100

Hi all, Hoping someone might be able to help....

Just bought the car recently and been giving it a going over, and noticed that there is a lot of oil leaking down the back of the engine and seems to be starting from the PCV breather pipe that goes to the air intake from the Rocker cover end (the pipe circled red in this picture i nabbed from elsewhere on the forum, but the other end https://toyotaowners.b-cdn.net/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-125194-0-57616800-1439662348.jpg)

Could it just be a simple case of the pipe not seating/sealing properly, or have I got a more expensive issue to think about?

2 hours ago, robt100 said:

Hi all, Hoping someone might be able to help....

Just bought the car recently and been giving it a going over, and noticed that there is a lot of oil leaking down the back of the engine and seems to be starting from the PCV breather pipe that goes to the air intake from the Rocker cover end (the pipe circled red in this picture i nabbed from elsewhere on the forum, but the other end https://toyotaowners.b-cdn.net/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-125194-0-57616800-1439662348.jpg)

Could it just be a simple case of the pipe not seating/sealing properly, or have I got a more expensive issue to think about?

well on my last car my 1.9tdi i did not want dirty oil r fumes going into my air intake so i ran the pipe down at the bottom of the car engine going to the ground and put a wee air filter where the intake hole was .great job that i am going to do that to my 2.0 d4d as soon as the summer comes i want no dirt oil or fumes going in  clogging up my turbo or other things 

4 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i did not want dirty oil r fumes going into my air intake so i ran the pipe down at the bottom of the car engine going to the ground and put a wee air filter where the intake hole was

Exactly what I did on my bike when I fitted an aftermarket air filter.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a similar issue too. The car is working perfectly. Doesn't use any oil or water. However, there is a small puddle of oil just prior to the turbo charger inlet. I'm not overly concerned and yet, would like to know if this is normal? Don't really want to reroute the breather pipe from rocker cover and vent it outside. I just would like the reassurance that there's nothing seriously wrong. 

Appreciate and comments.

Peter ling.

10 hours ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Hi,

I have a similar issue too. The car is working perfectly. Doesn't use any oil or water. However, there is a small puddle of oil just prior to the turbo charger inlet. I'm not overly concerned and yet, would like to know if this is normal? Don't really want to reroute the breather pipe from rocker cover and vent it outside. I just would like the reassurance that there's nothing seriously wrong. 

Appreciate and comments.

Peter ling.

why not reroute the breather pipe to bottom of the car and put a wee air filter going to the other pipe or just blank off the one going into the air intake .tbh its a great job keeps that old crud from jamming up the turbo etc im going to look at mine when the weather is good and run a pipe to the ground on my car .can do anything only help the engine .there are only positives doing this mod 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you 2009Joe,

Appreciate your suggestion. Will give it some thought.

Peter

1 hour ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Thank you 2009Joe,

Appreciate your suggestion. Will give it some thought.

Peter

It's not the best idea in the world, it's illegal, and it's not how the engine was designed to run.

Hey!

My car was doing this exact thing, actually felt like a lot of oil too!

In case you don't know (sorry if you do), it's a rocker cover breather rather than a PCV, the difference is due to the way the fumes are removed I believe, they basically do the same thing in all honesty. The "oil" is made up of the engine blow-by, so it's a mixture of condensation, oil and diesel.

But, running a pipe to the floor with a filter is an option, however it is illegal and will fail an MOT, as the rocker cover/ PCV valve is part of the emissions system. 

Personally, I chose to go down the catch can route, I'd recommend getting your cylinder pressure checked, if it's really really bad, all you're doing is masking a bigger problem, but that's your choice!

I went with the cheap basic eBay catch-can, believe it's called Billet Aluminium catch-can, it has some minor baffling in it which is definitely necessary! I have to empty mine about every 4-6 weeks, and the contents are awful! However, I prefer this option than loads of blowby and oil going back through my turbo and intercooler. Some people will definitely claim that the catch can isn't big enough to actually do anything, but based on my experience over the past 9 months, it definitely is helping!

For the catch-can, tubing and jubilee clips and a small adaptor I think it cost me around £40, and it will pass an MOT. The more expensive option, sure, but legal and works! - If you need a list of items, the catch can, diameter of the tubing and such things, let me know and I'll compile one for you!

I hope this helps!

Hello Kyle,

Sound advice to me. I don't want to do anything illegal compromising the MOT.

If possible, could you please send me a picture of you catch can in situ, and pass on the list of details I need to do this.

Despite the increased blowby pressure, the cars exhaust immissions are always within the parameters of the test. 

Really appreciate your reply.

Peter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Infiniti said:

Hey!

My car was doing this exact thing, actually felt like a lot of oil too!

In case you don't know (sorry if you do), it's a rocker cover breather rather than a PCV, the difference is due to the way the fumes are removed I believe, they basically do the same thing in all honesty. The "oil" is made up of the engine blow-by, so it's a mixture of condensation, oil and diesel.

But, running a pipe to the floor with a filter is an option, however it is illegal and will fail an MOT, as the rocker cover/ PCV valve is part of the emissions system. 

Personally, I chose to go down the catch can route, I'd recommend getting your cylinder pressure checked, if it's really really bad, all you're doing is masking a bigger problem, but that's your choice!

I went with the cheap basic eBay catch-can, believe it's called Billet Aluminium catch-can, it has some minor baffling in it which is definitely necessary! I have to empty mine about every 4-6 weeks, and the contents are awful! However, I prefer this option than loads of blowby and oil going back through my turbo and intercooler. Some people will definitely claim that the catch can isn't big enough to actually do anything, but based on my experience over the past 9 months, it definitely is helping!

For the catch-can, tubing and jubilee clips and a small adaptor I think it cost me around £40, and it will pass an MOT. The more expensive option, sure, but legal and works! - If you need a list of items, the catch can, diameter of the tubing and such things, let me know and I'll compile one for you!

I hope this helps!

I had this mod done on my last car and we'll was great never a bother threw mot was like that a long time plus I never had any turbo problems at all ever .plus I had that oil catch can in and tbh was a pain in the ***** it's 2 aqward 2 empty unless u can get a can where there is a pipe running 2 bottom of engine with a a quarter turn valve on it to drain into a bottle .for all the oil my last car lost I just ran it directly to bottom of my engine .as soon as the weather gets good I'm going 2 do the same to this Toyota as I only bought it and no much time 2 do it rather do car things when weather is good not cold 

On 3/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, 2009joe said:

Hi 2009joe,

I'm waiting too before I fit some new suspension arms.

Let's hope the weather improves soon. Let us know how you get on please.

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Yep for sure going 2 do it tbh if anything happens will loose mpg r Fk knows what use that dam pcv is uslefull for only running it to bottom of car .tbh for all oil comes out of it it's way better than going in clogging up turbos etc .i did 2 last car was great job .well kept car cleaner anyways