Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HEV or PHEV? More to it than just economy?

Centaur

10 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

Sorry to OP for thread drift - Ernie, thanks for that info, much appreciated. I have also seen on a US forum or similar, a dynamic indicator replacement for the rears too, is it something you have looked at? 
Back to the OP, the info on the Toyota website is only as good as the dealers input. Bear in mind the Corolla is made in the UK so paint colours are likely to be different. Try searching Autitrader or Carwow used cars for a demo in the red. 

I have looked at front and rear indicator LED’s these would need a 50 ohm ballast resistor so that they would not show a fault code. (Either the front or rear OK but not both without the ballast). As I do all my changes outside I’ve not looked any further until the weather improves. I still have a dual dash cam and bonnet deflector to fit.

• Like 1

The replacements I saw is the complete light assembly, not just the bulb. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

The replacements I saw is the complete light assembly, not just the bulb. 

I’ve seen them also, I’ll take a look at them in the spring.

One other thing that I overlooked to mention about colours was about the metallic black and black two-tone finish on Dynamic models.  I saw what Ernie was saying about the blue fleck in the paint.  It's not a solid black but appears to be a metallic finish, almost what you might call a midnight blue.  This was the same on all the Dynamic models that I looked at but also a fully metallic black Excel model.  It's only really noticeable when you stand quite close to the car, although a bit more obvious on the fully black car, but smart nonetheless.

• Like 1

Mark, in the summer it’s more noticeable. I like the fact it’s there but does not detract from the red/black line but gives the surprise in the roof when you get close and sun light catches the blue flake.

According to the current PHEV brochure, you can have a Design grade  in 218 Galaxy Black (and other colours) or you can have a Dynamic grade in a range of colours with a 218 Galaxy Black roof. Similarly, the HEV is available in 218 Galaxy Black. They are all exactly the same "218 Galaxy Black". 

It is, of course, a metallic paint so will reflect / scatter a proportion of the available light which gives ample scope for colour variations. It may well look different by comparison to an adjacent colour.

6 minutes ago, Centaur said:

One other thing that I overlooked to mention about colours was about the metallic black and black two-tone finish on Dynamic models.  I saw what Ernie was saying about the blue fleck in the paint.  It's not a solid black but appears to be a metallic finish, almost what you might call a midnight blue.  This was the same on all the Dynamic models that I looked at but also a fully metallic black Excel model.  It's only really noticeable when you stand quite close to the car, although a bit more obvious on the fully black car, but smart nonetheless.

We chose Obsidian Blue for our Excel HEV and as you say in sunshine it is definitely blue with flecks in it, we think it suits the car. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:11 PM, ernieb said:

A well know selling auction site.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Sequential-Dynamic-Indicators-For-Toyota-Rav-4-2019-Mirror-Turn-Signal-/265334505262?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

there are a few video that go through the fitting process, I linked one on an earlier post, I also changed the puddle lights as I had the cover off, big difference.

I bought some of these a while ago but haven't fitted them yet. I did the puddle lights and realised it was pretty straightforward so ordered some. I note the ones I ordered were described as "smoke" but are completely black, not like the smoke the guy in the video had. Also, mine doesn't have the wire with the connector, it's just the socket moulded to the unit like the OEM. Was this the same for you Ernie?

Nigel, as far as I remember that it exactly how mine were, plenty bright enough and great contrast.

19 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Nigel, as far as I remember that it exactly how mine were, plenty bright enough and great contrast.

Thanks Ernie. You motivated me to get off my bum so I fitted them at lunchtime. Less than 10 mins to fit both, very straightforward but I had taken the covers off before to change the puddle lights.

I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed by the brightness. Side on, around the same as the OEM they replaced but, because of the design, they are far more visible from the front. It was sunny for once so I might check again when the light is a little lower. With the black trim of the mirrors, it gives the impression there are no lights fitted when they aren't being used.

Nigel, I like the all in one dark look with the new lights it seems to look better to me.  I’ve played with looking at different angels and there I’d no doubt that the new ones give a better field of view.  The front and quarter view is  certainly much improved.

It’s always a worry recommending something like this as it can be very personal as to what works and what does not.

18 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Nigel, I like the all in one dark look with the new lights it seems to look better to me.  I’ve played with looking at different angels and there I’d no doubt that the new ones give a better field of view.  The front and quarter view is  certainly much improved.

It’s always a worry recommending something like this as it can be very personal as to what works and what does not.

Don't worry on my account Ernie. I do like them, I just expected them to be a bit brighter from the supplier information. They are no worse than the OEM ones and like you say, all around visibility is worthwhile alone. In any case, they were only £25 so if they were rubbish, I'd have just but the originals back.

• Like 1

We have a hev. Costs me £60 to fill it up and we get about 480 miles from a tank full, that equates to 1.2p per mile. This is winter driving as only got it last October….. and yes we have heating, heated seats, radio etc on all the time, which I understand eats into the Battery

based on the info above as Ev electric home charge rate being 7.5p per kWh between 12am and 4am and the phev achieving 3 miles per kw (is that with heating / air con, heated seats etc on?) means it costs 2.5p per mile …. That’s on the cheapest rate at home, charging when out and about or during the day at home will cost more. 

coupled with the increase purchase cost of the phev over the hev and the extra boot space in the hev the hev for me wins hands down. 

just my uneducated opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lovinglifesaidwithjazzhand said:

that equates to 1.2p per mile.

... that equates to about 12.5p per mile if you do the arithmetic correctly ... 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lovinglifesaidwithjazzhand said:

We have a hev. Costs me £60 to fill it up and we get about 480 miles from a tank full, that equates to 1.2p per mile. This is winter driving as only got it last October….. and yes we have heating, heated seats, radio etc on all the time, which I understand eats into the battery. 

based on the info above as Ev electric home charge rate being 7.5p per kWh between 12am and 4am and the phev achieving 3 miles per kw (is that with heating / air con, heated seats etc on?) means it costs 2.5p per mile …. That’s on the cheapest rate at home, charging when out and about or during the day at home will cost more. 

coupled with the increase purchase cost of the phev over the hev and the extra boot space in the hev the hev for me wins hands down. 

I can assure you your maths is wrong - so completely wrong I cannot understand why you didn’t see your flaw. Just think about it, would anyone buy any EV or PHEV if your figures were correct?! 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lovinglifesaidwithjazzhand said:

We have a hev. Costs me £60 to fill it up and we get about 480 miles from a tank full, that equates to 1.2p per mile. This is winter driving as only got it last October….. and yes we have heating, heated seats, radio etc on all the time, which I understand eats into the battery. 

480 miles at 1.2p/mile means it would only cost you £5.76 to fill up!

• Like 2

I think once Philip42h pointed out the simple arithmetic mistake Nikki would be aware of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Phillip42h …. Those dam decimals when your half a sleep on a Sunday morning 😩 

Thank you Catlover for coming to my defence. You are quite correct, I only need it pointed out once, which Phillip42h did politely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well could have been worse; At least it wasn't a mixup between metric and imperial units that caused a multi-million dollar satellite to crash into Mars :laugh: 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well could have been worse; At least it wasn't a mixup between metric and imperial units that caused a multi-million dollar satellite to crash into Mars :laugh: 

😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Generally 3 to 6 times cheaper to run in energy costs is a rough rule of thumb. Interesting that in many US states the difference is down at the 2.5 to 3 times because 'gas' is very cheap but electricity costs are high. Still works out much more economical but if you're doing a return on investment calculation it'll put your RoI out to the right.

Above said with all the rebates and incentives and so on many folks are able to buy a Prime at roughly the same price as the regular RAV. No brainer in that case. And they already pay not a lot for their cars in the States. With all the extra goodies they get that we don't I'd say they're on a winner. No wonder the Prime is selling out everywhere in the US and with very long waiting lists.

Extra goodies... I'm still miffed!...

Panoramic view monitor

Digital rear view mirror 

Heated steering wheel 

wiper defroster

Kick sensor

1.5kW? Mains in the boot.

What else have I missed? Flappy paddles? Pointless but.

Crazy strategy from a customer perspective!  I mean, they get all that stuff as options yet they don't get illuminated door switch lights, a locking glove box, or folding wing mirrors. Wonder why?

To be honest I'd still have got the car even if it cost the same to run. BiK tax resulting in a net c. 33pc benefit and the 'power'.

• Like 1

….and in the US they get State and Federal tax benefits and incentives to buy a Toyota RAV4 PRIME.

• Like 1

Yep, Toyota UK have a weird idea on spec and options for the PHEV. Why it doesn’t mirror the HEV is a mystery - would love PVM and in my case headlamp washers. The other options are not critical for me but wouldn’t say no to heated steering wheel either….. 

• Like 1

So paid penance yesterday for my tailgating and repeated my journey of the previous Tuesday. Ambient temperature about 8C, strong cross winds and rain, higher speeds generally sitting between 60-70 mph depending on traffic and smart speed limits. 42miles before ICE cut in. No Seat heating, lights on, radio on, wipers on and climate set at 21. 

• Like 2

I set out with the SOC saying 48 miles and I did two trips on mainly A roads, with lights and heating, seats etc and very windy. I actually got the 48 miles with the ICE only cutting in for the last few miles. I was happy enough with that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links