Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart key

Bogan

Hi I just buy a Corolla hybrid have smart key. How  I protect my self from Thief to copy my key . Than you

1 hour ago, Bogan said:

Hi I just buy a Corolla hybrid have smart key. How  I protect my self from Thief to copy my key . Than you

My22 models already have security for this

21 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

My22 models already have security for this

Thank you

When you store at home put the key into a cola can and will stop all signals from and to the key fob. Job done  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

When you store at home put the key into a cola can and will stop all signals from and to the key fob. Job done  

Why a cola can Tony, is it because of the type of metal in the cola can ??. I keep mine in an empty bean can, a clean empty one of course 😃.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bernard Foy said:

Why a cola can Tony, is it because of the type of metal in the cola can ??. I keep mine in an empty bean can, a clean empty one of course 😃.

I thought it is most popular, I actually use a Pepsi one 😉beans it’s fine if it’s Heinz😅👌

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I thought it is most popular, I actually use a Pepsi one 😉beans it’s fine if it’s Heinz😅👌

Yep you got 57 varieties 😃

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Yep you got 57 varieties 😃

On paying more attention to the fob of my 21 Yaris, I noticed that it stops emitting a signal once I move away a couple of yards, so maybe I have no need for the bean can after all.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

No. Coke ruins your remote and deactivates signals 😀

• Haha 2

I've been told that the key stops transmitting after a couple of minutes inactivity. I still play safe and use a Faraday pouch.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Big_D said:

I've been told that the key stops transmitting after a couple of minutes inactivity. I still play safe and use a Faraday pouch.

As I mentioned on a previous post, if using a Faraday pouch please check it's integrity regulary as mine failed after only a few months :taz:

• Like 1

Thanks 50p. I tend to check mine regularly.

I try to unlock the car by using the button on the smart key while it's still in the Faraday pouch. So far so good. Thanks for the warning though 👍

On 2/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Bernard Foy said:

On paying more attention to the fob of my 21 Yaris, I noticed that it stops emitting a signal once I move away a couple of yards, so maybe I have no need for the bean can after all.

The car stops receiving the signal but the key does not stop emitting the signal

21 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

The car stops receiving the signal but the key does not stop emitting the signal

The key fob emits a flashing red light when in close proximity to the car. Once I move away a couple of yards the fob stops emitting the flashing red light, which I take to be the signal. Am I mistaken please explain??

10 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

The key fob emits a flashing red light when in close proximity to the car. Once I move away a couple of yards the fob stops emitting the flashing red light, which I take to be the signal. Am I mistaken please explain??

Had the same thing with keyless entry on a Hyundai Ioniq (American version) which had the same thing

The alternative to faffing about with Faraday pouches, metal tins and boxes is to simply switch off the smart key function in the car's configuration options, then it behave like a regular key fob, using the push buttons on the key fob to lock and unlock the vehicle and put the fob next to the start button for starting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AJones said:

The alternative to faffing about with Faraday pouches, metal tins and boxes is to simply switch off the smart key function in the car's configuration options, then it behave like a regular key fob, using the push buttons on the key fob to lock and unlock the vehicle and put the fob next to the start button for starting.

Sounds like a smart course of action.  I don't want a car with smart entry for as long as I live! 

There are 2 ways; either use the button combination to put the fob to sleep, or use the method Andy described to stop the car from polling for it's presence.

First way preserves your keyless ignition but is a bit of a faff every time you lock the car up. Second way has the side benefit of reducing the draw on the Battery while parked, but requires similar faffing when starting the car.

Consensus on the auto sleep is that only 22-on vehicles have it. Mine's a 21.5, I tried sitting the remote on the floor beside the drivers door for 20 minutes after locking up and the door still opened after that time.

My opinion: biscuit barrel FTW!

On 2/6/2022 at 12:05 AM, Bernard Foy said:

Had the same thing with keyless entry on a Hyundai Ioniq (American version) which had the same thing

You can buy a new key off your dealer which will have motion activated technology where the key shuts off if not moved for 40 seconds

• Like 1

Is car theft in UK that bad nowadays? I know that high end cars are sometimes stolen but a Corolla? Don’t mean to offend anyone but it cracks me up when I read that folks deactivate their keys or put them in Faraday pouches (never knew these were a thing before this forum) 

17 minutes ago, RzrAzr said:

I know that high end cars are sometimes stolen but a Corolla?

Cars are stolen for all kinds of reasons. A car that is/was often stolen is the Megane II. AFAIK it was because of its reputation for unreliability, so the cars were worth a lot as spare parts. In France, at least, one of the most stolen cars is the Clio IV, apparently because the hands free key is easily hacked.

I found some league tables of often stolen cars, based on the number of cars stolen vs number of cars insured, and the Clio is in the top 5, as is the BMW X6.

6 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

Is car theft in UK that bad nowadays?

Yes, even keyless Fiesta's and Yaris' are getting stolen:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/ford-fiesta-toyota-yaris-stolen-22252620

6 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

I know that high end cars are sometimes stolen but a Corolla? Don’t mean to offend anyone but it cracks me up when I read that folks deactivate their keys or put them in faraday pouches (never knew these were a thing before this forum) 

If thieves are exploiting keyless vulnerabilities to steal Ford Fiestas and Focuses, and police are advising all motorists with keyless cars to invest in a Faraday pouch then yes I'd say it's an issue. If thieves will take a Fiesta I'm sure they'd happily take a nice new Corolla.

https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/news/staffordshire/news/2021/december/officers-urge-drivers-to-be-vigilant-after-keyless-car-thefts/

6 minutes ago, AJones said:

Yes, even keyless Fiesta's and Yaris' are getting stolen:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/local-news/ford-fiesta-toyota-yaris-stolen-22252620

If thieves are exploiting keyless vulnerabilities to steal Ford Fiestas and Focuses, and police are advising all motorists with keyless cars to invest in a faraday pouch then yes I'd say it's an issue. If thieves will take a Fiesta I'm sure they'd happily take a nice new Corolla.

https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/news/staffordshire/news/2021/december/officers-urge-drivers-to-be-vigilant-after-keyless-car-thefts/

Ford has fixed the keyless relay theft issue on newer vehicles with the updated motion detection keyless fobs.

I've yet to see any mention of Ford fixing the other known weak point in its factory security system to prevent drive away theft which doesn't even require the keyless fob OR a relay device. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links