Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris ignition coil.

sam0056

Hi I'm hoping someone can advise I have a Yaris tspirit 03 reg I have been experiencing some intermittent lack of power issues while accelerating. My troubles first began about a year ago when while driving along suddenly the car lost all power and staled. Upon using my OBD2 software i identified the issue to be one of the coil packs which when changed resolved the issue and I was also able to clear the engine warning light. Fast fwd to now and as of the last month or so I am having the power lacking issues again which happens when trying to pick up speed eg going from 2nd to 3rd gear and accelerating the car will hold back as though there is a lagg before any power like it is accelerating buy the car is not responding for a few seconds. I am suspecting since I only changed the culprit coil pack that now the others or one of the others is also on its way out. I don't really want to be stranded somewhere since I have to take my elderly mother to hospital appointments regularly so I need this issue resolved properly. I have considered strongly to buy a while set of coil packs and replace the lot since I think this is the issue again but I need real advice before doing this and the OBD2 software can't pick up any error until the coil fails. I do not want to go to garage's done this is an intermittent issue which sometimes didn't even happen and they will happily extinguish me of funds and say we didn't find anything in which they would also be right because the problem may not occur during there testing. The car is an insurance write off which I've bought back since it is in good condition so I don't want to start spending money I cannot afford on a car which is already past it's best in terms of use. I hope someone can chime in and advise if changing all the coil pack idea is logical. Thanks all for reading.

• Confused 1

There are no guarantees without doing a proper diagnosis using the right equipment. Why not start by removing all of the coils and plugs and inspecting them visually? It might not give you a smoking gun, but if the plugs happen to be worn or the coil insulators are cracked, at least you would then have assurance that replacing them is a sound investment.

Hi I'm hoping someone can advise I have a Yaris tspirit 03 reg I have been experiencing some intermittent lack of power issues while accelerating. My troubles first began about a year ago when while driving along suddenly the car lost all power and staled.

Upon using my OBD2 software i identified the issue to be one of the coil packs which when changed resolved the issue and I was also able to clear the engine warning light. Fast fwd to now and as of the last month or so I am having the power lacking issues again which happens when trying to pick up speed eg going from 2nd to 3rd gear and accelerating the car will hold back as though there is a lagg before any power like it is accelerating buy the car is not responding for a few seconds.

I am suspecting since I only changed the culprit coil pack that now the others or one of the others is also on its way out. I don't really want to be stranded somewhere since I have to take my elderly mother to hospital appointments regularly so I need this issue resolved properly.

I have considered strongly to buy a while set of coil packs and replace the lot since I think this is the issue again but I need real advice before doing this and the OBD2 software can't pick up any error until the coil fails.

I do not want to go to garage's done this is an intermittent issue which sometimes didn't even happen and they will happily extinguish me of funds and say we didn't find anything in which they would also be right because the problem may not occur during there testing. The car is an insurance write off which I've bought back since it is in good condition so I don't want to start spending money I cannot afford on a car which is already past it's best in terms of use. I hope someone can chime in and advise if changing all the coil pack idea is logical.

Thanks all for reading.

i had to cut and paste your post as it was almost unreadable

What engine, gearbox and mileage ?

When were the plugs last changed ?

Is there any oil in the spark plug wells ?

Have you looked at the misfire data ?

18 hours ago, sam0056 said:

Hi I'm hoping someone can advise I have a Yaris tspirit 03 reg I have been experiencing some intermittent lack of power issues while accelerating. My troubles first began about a year ago when while driving along suddenly the car lost all power and staled. Upon using my OBD2 software i identified the issue to be one of the coil packs which when changed resolved the issue and I was also able to clear the engine warning light. Fast fwd to now and as of the last month or so I am having the power lacking issues again which happens when trying to pick up speed eg going from 2nd to 3rd gear and accelerating the car will hold back as though there is a lagg before any power like it is accelerating buy the car is not responding for a few seconds. I am suspecting since I only changed the culprit coil pack that now the others or one of the others is also on its way out. I don't really want to be stranded somewhere since I have to take my elderly mother to hospital appointments regularly so I need this issue resolved properly. I have considered strongly to buy a while set of coil packs and replace the lot since I think this is the issue again but I need real advice before doing this and the OBD2 software can't pick up any error until the coil fails. I do not want to go to garage's done this is an intermittent issue which sometimes didn't even happen and they will happily extinguish me of funds and say we didn't find anything in which they would also be right because the problem may not occur during there testing. The car is an insurance write off which I've bought back since it is in good condition so I don't want to start spending money I cannot afford on a car which is already past it's best in terms of use. I hope someone can chime in and advise if changing all the coil pack idea is logical. Thanks all for reading.

Not quite unreadable, but very difficult to read, so much so I have not bothered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi the engine size is1.3 manual gearbox the coil packs replace what used to be spark plugs shine years ago and mainly cars now have coil packs otherwise known as an ignition coil. I read the OBD2 data as mentioned when the problem first happend this is how I was able to establish it was indeed a dead coil pack which i replaced. Because I am lacking power again when accelerating I am thinking maybe it's the same issue again with the remaining coil packs because only 1 was changed.

Spark plugs are screwed into the engine this is the electrode the spark comes from in the combustion chamber

A COP or Coil on plug generates energy (high voltage) to produce the spark for the spark plug

Spark Plug

1950995161_Densoplug.thumb.jpg.56c34ef116e4fb3b1cdcf274b07c84da.jpg

Coil on plug

827444664_Screenshot2022-02-03at17-31-50VALEOIgnitionCoil2453904-pinconnector-Reducedprices.png.73142d87be82f9df9cc7d0403c9bdb9e.png

Oh right I'm not that mechanically minded thanks for the info considering this car has done 1.5k miles now and 30.000 of those were done by me the plugs are probably cooked I'll start there at least by making an inspection of the condition.

You didn't mention when the plugs were last changed or if ever, they are long life plugs, but they recommend changing them at around 60k they're not cheap being Iridium and they'll cost you around £38 for a set of 4

9 minutes ago, wildtapholer said:

You didn't mention when the plugs were last changed or if ever, they are long life plugs, but they recommend changing them at around 60k they're not cheap being iridium and they'll cost you around £38 for a set of 4

It depends on what engine to OP has being a mk1 P10 yaris - 2SZ-FE uses standard plugs (K16R-U 0.8mm gap) about £10 a set or the later 2NZ-FE (K16R-U11 1.1mm gap) £10 a set

The long life SK16HR11 @ £30 a set

Be aware the long life (SK16HR11) plugs have a longer thread you need the correct spark plugs for your engine

the wrong plugs could cause damage

Hi so I have had the car checked out by a mechanic now and it has  been established that the clutch is slipping as and I need to replace the clutch. I've had a look on eBay and seen a varying prices ranging from £50 for an unknown brand to £170 for Luk kit. What would be advised please should even buy a part like this from eBay as the mechanic has agreed to fit what I purchase.

Don’t buy a cheap clutch kit. It takes some time to get a gearbox out and in, buy cheap and it fails early you got that expense again. LUK is a good make, but there are other makes too. There are 3 pieces in a clutch kit….. pressure plate, friction plate, bearing. Make sure you get a kit with all three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apart from not being sure what make it is….. are you sure it is the right kit for your car.  Have you read the first comment by someone who had one fitted. 

Hi I just read the comment I see what you mean should I in this case just opt for eurocarparts where I will get a warranty

If you let whoever's fitting the new clutch supply it, then if there's any subsequent problem, it's up to them to deal with it.

If you supply the parts and there's a subsequent problem, then it may be down to you to pay for the following strip down and re-assembly.

well its a friend of mine who was a mechanic at Peugeot  for 20 years and id rather give him the money than some other garage and since hes done other work ive needed i can trust he will do a good job as long as i can get a quality part but i want a middle of the road part not very top end and not crap either.

6 hours ago, sam0056 said:

Hi I just read the comment I see what you mean should I in this case just opt for eurocarparts where I will get a warranty

I think that would be sensible, £50 is suspiciously cheap. Double that amount would be a more usual price for a decent kit to fit a small engine. Eurocarparts might stock the Aisin kits. Not many people have heard of that name, but they are 51% owned by Toyota.

Can someone just rhyme off some good clutch manufacturers to help him look for what is the price range he needs.   Its so long since I touched a clutch I dont know who is who there days, Borg&Beck used to have a good name....are they still going????

10 hours ago, sam0056 said:

well its a friend of mine who was a mechanic at Peugeot  for 20 years

Then I suspect he'll have a good idea of good and bad. Why not take his advice?

Do a full clutch kit, go with a LUK or Sachs clutch kit - £50 will be the clutch only, a full kit is a clutch, pressure plate and bearing

You need to know what engine you have in the car as there are 2 different kits one is 200mm and the other is 220mm

£70-90 for the LUK kit (the other kit is around the £120 mark)

Hi thanks for this info where do I look for the exact engine type of the a code somewhere I must look for.

Using you’re number plate eurocarparts doe an Aisin set for £135 and a Exedy set for £108.

Always double check, even triple check you buying for your vehicle, ie numbers match

1 hour ago, sam0056 said:

Hi thanks for this info where do I look for the exact engine type of the a code somewhere I must look for.

Send me a PM with your VIN

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Using you’re number plate eurocarparts doe an Aisin set for £135 and a Exedy set for £108.

Always double check, even triple check you buying for your vehicle, ie numbers match

the Aftermarket is very hit and miss with REG numbers

Hi I'm at the garage as I type this message getting the clutch done. I haven't been to this place before but it's the quickest I  could find it is a Japanese car breakers yard where they have 2 mechanics or I hope they are by the look of things. Currently they have both drive shafts out and working on it wish me luck.

OK update all the work is finished and the car is driving better than new although i bought it second hand anyway. They never mentioned anything about any break in period or driving style but ive read online that i need to take it very easy on the clutch for the first 500 miles if someone could enlighten me on this please. They used a blueprint clutch kit and charged me £300. Also the guy mentioned there was slight noise coming from the gearbox.

• Like 1