Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Excel Phone Tethering Issue

Goooner1

Just taken delivery of my new Prius Excel a couple of days ago, comes with built in Wi-Fi but that comes with no documentation or anything, so have no idea what the password is so can’t connect that way. 

No problem, I’ll just tether it to my phone as I’d done previously with my 2017 Excel. 

I can get it connected fine, all working, network has a star next to it so I’m assuming that means it’s a favourite? Anyway, all works fine, right up until I turn the engine off, then next time I get back in the car, it won’t auto-join the network, despite having been connected before, I have to manually search, join and input the password, each and every time!

Same phone as I was using in the old Prius so would assume it’s an issue with the new car, rather than the phone, but open to all and any suggestions

Have you contacted the dealer re the built in Wi-Fi problem?  and if you have, how was the problem solved?

9 hours ago, Goooner1 said:

Just taken delivery of my new Prius Excel a couple of days ago, comes with built in Wi-Fi but that comes with no documentation or anything, so have no idea what the password is so can’t connect that way. 

No problem, I’ll just tether it to my phone as I’d done previously with my 2017 Excel. 

I can get it connected fine, all working, network has a star next to it so I’m assuming that means it’s a favourite? Anyway, all works fine, right up until I turn the engine off, then next time I get back in the car, it won’t auto-join the network, despite having been connected before, I have to manually search, join and input the password, each and every time!

Same phone as I was using in the old Prius so would assume it’s an issue with the new car, rather than the phone, but open to all and any suggestions

Unlike other models Prius does not have a built in DCM ( data control module ) so Toyota include the WIFI hotspot box as an alternative, you can if you wish use either your own phone via tethering or the WIFI hotspot ( once you purchase a subscription ) 

If you want to use your phone turn off the head units WIFI and the head unit will use bluetooth tethering for data if you leave the head unit WIFI on it will auto connect to the WIFI hotspot which without a subscription has no data connection.

If you wish to use the WIFI hotspot register online with MyT and via your PC purchase a data plan for the WIFI hotspot ( you can't do this via the mobile MyT app )

Thanks. I’ll have a look and see if I can turn it off. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been doing that, still seems hit and miss half the time it won’t connect to my phones personal hotspot. 

13 minutes ago, Goooner1 said:

I’ve been doing that, still seems hit and miss half the time it won’t connect to my phones personal hotspot. 

If it’s an early iPhone have the “settings” page for personal hotspot open when tethering. It’s an Apple bug 

• Like 1

It’s a 12 but I’ll give it a try and see if it makes any difference. 

7 minutes ago, Goooner1 said:

It’s a 12 but I’ll give it a try and see if it makes any difference. 

Rig up a MagSafe wireless charger plugged into the usb as the Qi charger wigs out with the magnets in the 12

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 6:10 PM, MyOpinionIsWorthless said:
On 2/26/2022 at 7:15 PM, MyOpinionIsWorthless said:

If it’s an early iPhone have the “settings” page for personal hotspot open when tethering. It’s an apple bug 

Thanks for that. Fingers crossed it’s actually solved it. 

Five for five connections since I’ve been doing that.