Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid 200 000 miles service

TonyHSD

4 hours ago, mtl said:

Is there an info how to remove the rear trunk plastic to access the cooling fan? New Auris HSD, 2011 owner and according to the interior filth of the car from the previous owner, cleaning the cooling fan is on my urgent to do list. Battery was replaced 2 years ago :).

PS: I must say that I am impressed with your car, that is some serious mileage. Mine is at cca. 90.000 miles, I hope to get another 90.000 out of it ;).

This is very dependant on the use of the car. Tony is doing serius mileage with his car, thus the engine is always in the optimal temperature range and this is extremelly good for the material wear. Short city driving distances kill the engine, since it is almost always operating in the non optimal temperature range (cold), thus wear is a lot, lot higher. And I would say that this is connected also with the oil consumption and oil dillution. If driving only long distances probably the oil change interval of 10.000 miles does not make such a difference. But if you are doing only short drives, it probably is smart to shorten the oil change interval to 6.000 miles.

Yes, you are right 👍, long motorway journeys are the best for any car overall, not only the engine but transmission, suspension, everything except bodywork and undercarriage, those gets abused and extra care is needed. 

For cleaning the Battery fan you need to remove some plastic trims on top of the Battery, one that is attached the fan grill, and there is one on top of the Battery. Most of them are only clipped with plastic clips but some has a bolts.  Also you will need to de attach the rear seats back rest from bottom brackets to gain access to the fan steel cover that needs to be removed. It’s an easy job , you need 14mm socket and plastic trim removal tools. Here a video about shock replacement but will help you understand what you need to remove. 

On the picture red arrows show what needs to be undone and remove, seats only undone no need to remove them .  Toyota also sells filter that you can buy and install too. You need to take the fan out of the place , clean with soft brush, hoover but do not use any spray on it, only air can or with compressor.  Do not try to lubricate too. Just clean and put back all in. You don’t need to worry about high voltage as you work very close but you don’t touch them. 12v system also not a problem, you will discover some 12v plugs but that ok. If you prefer you can disconnect 12v battery negative but remember not to close the hatch, put some towel on the lock to prevent unwanted lock out of the boot. 👍

91535C0E-AE45-417C-9920-9DB34531B242.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you very much for these detailed instructions. It will help a lot :).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mtl said:

Thank you very much for these detailed instructions. It will help a lot :).

You are welcome 👍

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, TonyHSD said:

Toyota also sells filter that you can buy and install too.

Another quick question. I have looked for this filter but for this Auris it was not planned. I read that Toyota added filters in 2012-2013 models, when this model was not in production anymore. Is the filter the same as for the Prius 3rd generation? Do you maybe have part nr. of it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mtl said:

Another quick question. I have looked for this filter but for this Auris it was not planned. I read that Toyota added filters in 2012-2013 models, when this model was not in production anymore. Is the filter the same as for the Prius 3rd generation? Do you maybe have part nr. of it?

I think you maybe right, the filter can be only available for the second gen Auris hybrid, ours does not have one. I remember when I was looking before that I could not find and all available were different shape and size, also on Prius is different. But this filter is nothing special, it’s simply a plastic mesh grill similar to what you have but smaller size that can stop hair going in, but can not stop dust therefore not a big deal without it. Most important is to keep interior clean and use air conditioning in hot days and heating in cold to maintain room temperature in the cabin. Also keep spare wheel well clean and tidy, do not place anything under the tray except what is there already (spare tyre and tools) , the air flows through these cavities and leaves the car through vents located behind the rear bumper, keep it unobscured and clean, together with fan grill and you will be fine. 
Idea: take everything out of the boot after a heavy rain or after you wash your car and check for water ingress, check spare wheel well and near the lights , if any moisture or water is present, dry clean and you will need to take rear clusters out, clean them properly, clean the body work that they mount and replace seals., if no seals available use silicone or other sealant and fit them back. 👍

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So my lady had a new windscreen replacement last Monday and the company pushed a lot for new wipers. I had spare set wipers but because it’s me I can’t just put a new wipers on an old car 😂, therefore I had to make the old lady look young again 🪩

I treated the car to a new Denso Wipers all around and new Toyota oem carpet mats. Pictures below with numbers if anyone interested to purchase same parts. 
Before all that I had washed and polished in few stages: 

Snow Foam pre wash, hand wash and dry, tar and glue remover all around, clay treatment all around, there was a lots of traffic dirt plus paint spray from my painting underbody. Then hand polish and wax to seal the nice and shiny surface. Here how she looks after 6hrs of work yesterday. Not bad for her age and miles 🚙🏁👌

2DC134E3-83E3-4F9B-A97E-DDBF01BEE832.jpeg

DF7AC2C7-E276-40A3-AA5A-C9A0E29E6C3D.jpeg

12DE8555-1168-4965-835A-17D3F3B5555D.jpeg

1AF46DC5-DA81-49AE-A706-AABF49BD6E3F.jpeg

B10A33BD-B4D1-4227-BB60-61159F1B6D14.jpeg

0E367F56-B195-41FA-A3FF-E08ECADD59DE.jpeg

77A57009-A3CF-4733-90E5-8B77828086E5.jpeg

A309E144-23DA-45AD-95B0-2306460FAF80.jpeg

EAF5DC8F-A2AA-40EA-98DD-6EFEF50C3538.jpeg

• Like 7

I'm always blown away how god condition your car is, esp. given the age and mileage! It looks better than mine!!  :laugh: (To be fair, not all my fault - It's some damned cat!! I swear one of them has claimed it, as there are dirty cat paw prints on the roof on random mornings! One time there was a blob which I highly suspect was the outline of a cat bum from it sitting on the roof at night - I haven't managed to catch the little bugger yet... I suppose I should be glad it's not foxes or my neighbour's giant huskydog! :eek: :laugh: )

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm always blown away how god condition your car is, esp. given the age and mileage! It looks better than mine!!  :laugh: (To be fair, not all my fault - It's some damned cat!! I swear one of them has claimed it, as there are dirty cat paw prints on the roof on random mornings! One time there was a blob which I highly suspect was the outline of a cat bum from it sitting on the roof at night - I haven't managed to catch the little bugger yet... I suppose I should be glad it's not foxes or my neighbour's giant huskydog! :eek: :laugh: )

Not always as shiny as now😉 , I have pictures taken after some winter drive and you won’t recognise it’s mine. For the cats , they actually are the best pets to have around the car because they also scare the worst one, the rodents who likes to chew the orange high voltage cables under the car. Here zoom in and you will see Tom in the mirror, he was chasing Big Jerry who went under the car 🐈‍⬛🐀😂

1BF2F24D-5597-4327-94DB-6861F8AF2386.jpeg

5C5543F3-882A-430F-95C0-0FF62CA43CC5.jpeg

• Like 2

Great cleaning Tony.  My rear wiper needs replacement every year because of tears. I found some Silicon insert from Amazon fit nicely and last 2x longer than the Bosch rear wiper. The front wiper from valeo holds well for 3 years. If you have mouse problem, you can cover the air intake to the cabin with stainless steel screen and aluminium ducktape. I also check the airfilter regularly. Those places are the best nesting place for mice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just passed MOT today with one advisory only, not bad for a 12 years old car with 228k miles. Have it serviced yesterday too, all looks good for now. 👍 

Air filter pretty clean for 30k miles, but got it replaced too together with cabin one at 9350 miles and oil + oil filter. That’s pretty much all of the work done, anything else only check’s ☑️

E72EC40C-C33C-4FDB-B593-D840FF22CD04.jpeg

CEDCD4A4-563F-4E8A-AD34-291DB7F47977.jpeg

DF5B9656-9245-4C40-8436-2282ACC1CF03.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Today was the day for an oil change. At 236859 almost 9000 miles traveled since the last service and the oil look ok but also a bit on the darker side, there is an engine flush in too. I will use this in every oil service from now on as the car is older and on higher side of the odometer. Pretty much everything else spot on, suspension rock solid including all bushes, shocks, ball joints , apart from been covered in nasty salt from the roads nothing else to report. Brake discs are obviously rusty, they will get attention next month with tyre rotating. There is  some rust on other metal parts including lower radiator hose clips, but they still hold fine., in general very good 👍

Tyres tread measured is 7mm on all 4 after 11000 miles done, so average tyre wear 1mm per 10k miles👌

image.thumb.jpeg.9359abdf51f4fa8b4efbf054215b6bb3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f35db4e8bccf0be2ddd575f9abfc4e8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5357899935cce508a482614c9dabe283.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8455098cd4647923c0b0d3b80ef294e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.88936eadb40ac7e958ffdab6a0d94b3e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cc653d78f1077ea450f59f068f1cca20.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.681232d9e30ef6b70c2061973e4d95b8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d927a0dbcd1eb313d19674c892df4b51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.533ec7c3194ee65d663a5d2e5037cad7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ee7caa323bab86ef4f9a47b34b4f94bd.jpeg

• Like 12

Amazing condition, can't get over how little rust there is!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Saxmaniac said:

Amazing condition, can't get over how little rust there is!  

Thanks 👍, it’s ok I would say.
There are rusty parts a lot but because now everything it’s covered in salt that melts on the parts and make them look newer, wet tyres like appearance 😂👌

image.thumb.jpeg.2e61f3e9d09e9068390a649e6aa6c621.jpeg

• Like 2

That's impressive mileage and condition - no doubt you have read about the guy in the US who did 3.2 million miles in a Volvo P1800 - sadly he has passed away now and Volvo took the car into their collection. Something to aim for? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NeilMH said:

That's impressive mileage and condition - no doubt you have read about the guy in the US who did 3.2 million miles in a Volvo P1800 - sadly he has passed away now and Volvo took the car into their collection. Something to aim for? 😉

Thanks, well that’s definitely a proper high miles. I am not even hoping for anything close 🙂, 300k if possible with oil changes mostly and I will be very happy 😊 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Today was the day for an oil change. At 236859 almost 9000 miles traveled since the last service and the oil look ok but also a bit on the darker side, there is an engine flush in too. I will use this in every oil service from now on as the car is older and on higher side of the odometer. Pretty much everything else spot on, suspension rock solid including all bushes, shocks, ball joints , apart from been covered in nasty salt from the roads nothing else to report. Brake discs are obviously rusty, they will get attention next month with tyre rotating. There is  some rust on other metal parts including lower radiator hose clips, but they still hold fine., in general very good 👍

Tyres tread measured is 7mm on all 4 after 11000 miles done, so average tyre wear 1mm per 10k miles👌

image.thumb.jpeg.9359abdf51f4fa8b4efbf054215b6bb3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f35db4e8bccf0be2ddd575f9abfc4e8d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5357899935cce508a482614c9dabe283.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e8455098cd4647923c0b0d3b80ef294e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.88936eadb40ac7e958ffdab6a0d94b3e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cc653d78f1077ea450f59f068f1cca20.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.681232d9e30ef6b70c2061973e4d95b8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d927a0dbcd1eb313d19674c892df4b51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.533ec7c3194ee65d663a5d2e5037cad7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ee7caa323bab86ef4f9a47b34b4f94bd.jpeg

Does the oil in the bucket have the engine flush inside and thus is quite black? Because on that photo it does not look in a really good condition. Basically it looks like the oil that I drained on my first oil change.

• Like 3

Certainly makes you think, millions of miles in the Volvo, the million mile Lexus LS 400, and Tony's aim for 300,000 miles.

Expectations were a bit more modest in the 1970s when a 70-80 thousand mile quality car was considered near the end of it's life.

Amazing what keeping rust at bay, and regular oil changes can do.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mtl said:

Does the oil in the bucket have the engine flush inside and thus is quite black? Because on that photo it does not look in a really good condition. Basically it looks like the oil that I drained on my first oil change.

It does have engine flush inside. This stp flush is really good and cleans the engine very well 👌 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, olonas said:

I doubt Tony is aiming to pop his clogs any time soon though.

Nope, we are both a brand new like 😂, age and mileage are only a numbers 👌

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Tyres tread measured is 7mm on all 4 after 11000 miles done, so average tyre wear 1mm per 10k miles

Its all looking good Tony :thumbsup:

Was looking at my tyres the other day. Depth gauge is a fraction under 4mm ( lets say 3.8 to 3.9 mm) and they were fitted in 2016 and have covered approx 47k now. They kind of look a bit worn now but of course the depth gauge says a fair bit left. Dunlop Blue Response Sport's. The tyres might outlast the engine (the oil burner...).

• Like 1

Thanks for providing the update, amazing mileage and fantastic to hear how few issues you've had!

PS - thanks for the petronas oil recommendation, have used it on mine for the last service.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tapir said:

Thanks for providing the update, amazing mileage and fantastic to hear how few issues you've had!

PS - thanks for the petronas oil recommendation, have used it on mine for the last service.

Thank you 👍