Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris Hybrid 200 000 miles service

TonyHSD

Wish you a good recuperation from your op Tony.

You and your car can both have a well deserved rest now, but of course I realise that you would sooner have not needed it.

• Thanks 1

Another wishing you well Tony. Just take it slowly running the new joint in... but you know what to do.  

• Thanks 1

Hey there Tony, wishing you a speedy recovery. Should have asked them to put in place a couple of old fashioned grease nipples, that would have done the job. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the good wishes and support. 👍

• Like 2

get well soon Tony.  I hope you recover fast.  Leave the Auris for a while and enjoy family time.  I am wondering if you ever have to change the water pump at that 250k miles yet.  Some of Prius3 owners who live in hot weather need to replace the waterpump much earlier.  I bought one from Amayama/Japan, shipped for less than €223+19% import Tax. you can get earlier shipping with €25 more (2 weeks) instead of 2 months. 

These are some image of waterpump from people who lived in Arizona.  https://www.amayama.com/en/part/aisin/wpt190

211167_IMG_0811.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AisinW said:

get well soon Tony.  I hope you recover fast.  Leave the Auris for a while and enjoy family time.  I am wondering if you ever have to change the water pump at that 250k miles yet.  Some of Prius3 owners who live in hot weather need to replace the waterpump much earlier.  I bought one from Amayama/Japan, shipped for less than €223+19% import Tax. you can get earlier shipping with €25 more (2 weeks) instead of 2 months. 

These are some image of waterpump from people who lived in Arizona.  https://www.amayama.com/en/part/aisin/wpt190

211167_IMG_0811.jpg

Thanks John, 

water pump works fine as engine maintained always a normal temperature and heating been spot on to date. Thermostat also in good working order. The only thing in change is regular coolant changes as per the book. The coolant also look clean and free from any debris to point towards wear on the components, perhaps in the future I will need to change those but until they completely stop working I am not touching them. 
I believe in very hot climates and if the car been exclusively used in town these water pumps can get overheated and burn their electronics and fail as a result. They have aluminium cooling fins outside, and when the car been driven on motorways at speeds the air stream  is cooling down the pump and extends its life. Long motorway journeys is what any car would like to have  👍

• Like 1

On 30/5/2023 at 10:45 ΠΜ, Wooster said:

Tony - Ελπίζω να έχετε μια γρήγορη και πλήρη ανάρρωση. Είχα αρκετούς φίλους και μέλη της οικογένειας που είχαν αντικαταστήσει τους γοφούς, όλα με μεγάλη επιτυχία. Είμαι σίγουρος ότι το ίδιο θα είναι και το δικό σου. Απλά θυμηθείτε να κάνετε τις ασκήσεις φυσικής κατάστασης!  

iron!!

Get well soon tony.

Hopefully the surgeons looked after you as well as you have the auris. 
I recon you both still have a few thousand left on the clock 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The waterpump in gen3 2ZR-FXE sometimes just failed internally. The magnet inside the rotor get rusted and swell. It is something to do with the teflon/nylon coating on the surface of the rotor/propeller that failed/cracked randomly and let the water gets into the magnet cores. It may fail more often on hot weather because the pump works harder at higher temperature. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:39 AM, TonyHSD said:

I had my left hip replaced last week and been discharged from hospital two days ago

Tony, wish you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery from your hip replacement operation, get better soon!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davidhee58 said:

Tony, wish you all the best wishes for a speedy recovery from your hip replacement operation, get better soon!

Thank you 👍

I am wondering if you kept all the sparkplugs you had changed. I am sure the gap is practically at constant width over 60k miles.  From Denso website, the SC16HR11 interval is up to 100k miles https://www.densoproducts.com/denso-3499-sc16hr11-iridium-long-life-spark-plug but Toyota recommends 60k-120k miles.  It is very intriguing for me why?

I keept mine and they looked perfect and all the same. Replaced at cca. 150.000km. According to Toyota EU, they should be replaced at 90.000km.

• Like 1

I haven’t kept any plugs, just take pictures and dispose at the recycling centre together with any other parts and liquids. The plugs look good to me, first change I did was at 80k miles, then each 60k miles. They last long indeed but they also wear a bit and the gap changes, not the centre electrode but the outer one changes the shape slightly with time and the gap gets wider. Plugs not that expensive. I heard from old mechanics that leaving the plugs for far too long can cause premature wear to the coils and those are on expensive side. 

• Like 1

Was thinking of changing my plugs as the car is 16 years old, but it’s only clocked 36k. Is it still worth doing as it’s driving well to be honest?

12 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

Was thinking of changing my plugs as the car is 16 years old, but it’s only clocked 36k. Is it still worth doing as it’s driving well to be honest?

Hi, 

perhaps no need to worry about it. At this low miles they should have no wear and the years should not be a factor as they are located inside the engine. One thing to note, you will need quality socket and let the engine running for 10 min before you try to undo them if you decide to check.
When engine is cold or hot and because these never been undone it might be very difficult with high risk if causing damage. Room temperature of the engine block will help you undo them with less effort and minimal risk, and take it easy and slowly with the tools. 

Cheers Tony, yeah I’ve been hesitant to change them due to them being the originals (and car running ok). Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrZardoz said:

Cheers Tony, yeah I’ve been hesitant to change them due to them being the originals (and car running ok). Thanks for the advice.

You are welcome. 

Thanks Tony. I agree, wear must be there but if it is very minuscle, I will follow what Denso recommends, 100k miles. Toyota confidently put 120k miles interval since 2004 and it seems fine. The SC16HR11 spark plugs failure I knew was caused by internal failure on the resistor core, not the tip wear.  With relatively small tip, 0.7mm, the change of the gap width do not effect as much as wide tip like Nickle plugs. E=div.V, sharper tip, higher electric field for the same voltage. The bottom electrode is platinum in SC16HR11. 

I just helped my neighbour replacing spark plugs on his 1.8L Zafira 2008. That plugs looks ugly after 40k miles, the v tips are all gone and start misfire. Nickle plugs interval is indeed 30k miles and more than that we got troubles. 

I agree that coils are more expensive than plugs. However, I never replace any of my coils even after 200k+ miles. Coils failure usually is caused by batch production issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Midd season hybrid Battery cooling fan check and clean. 
Been discussing recent in chr forum above fan filter check and replace and because I had traveled over 100000 miles since last I did it on mine I decided it’s time for another routine maintenance. 
Here in pictures the whole story.
It’s not difficult at all, you will need a simple tools for interior trims removal, a soft valeting brush, small screwdriver, and ratchets with 10mm, 12mm and 14mm sockets. 
While doing all that is a good idea to remove spare tyre and clean all around too. The fan and ducts were very clean, I actually didn’t expect that, I thought they will be dirtier but keeping the car interior clean generally pays off. No need to disconnect 12v Battery or remove master plug on the hybrid Battery, you only work around the high voltage and you need to disconnect one 12v fan wire harness. That’s all. 👌

image.thumb.jpeg.0c7a050d1359ae3330a3bd052a3ec13b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.041090576617311293c782806b144eb8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7ef7bbdead41dedbb86c3aa04633ee7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eff0f9e1574ad90a34ff818e7a172ca7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.76242ce606d527f4f824cc1899b03e1e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ae066f3f1bc5bebdd76362ac340399d8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4c18178b7671c3b3398ddc7fc1fcb5bc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f56f2654b2edcb8aea99f8202dfb05ec.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.77292cb9ad5874620b5394d67d2a5b73.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.aad5ad531b9de033e3104d923082c1fd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7c056d652177cf33833d2c989c762a5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.202567d96fe2d10f56ea92aca5ca0504.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e7d4f2b6ae29357e3b95dd442a99ec25.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8ed2251202d681e9595ff6519e10c630.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work. When I did mine there was also not a lot of dirt, but sadly I found few dead bees inside. Previous owner was a beekeper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mtl said:

Nice work. When I did mine there was also not a lot of dirt, but sadly I found few dead bees inside. Previous owner was a beekeper.

Did you installed a filter as we were discussing? I thought to cut a peace from a new cabin filter and place it behind the grill but no filters left in stock so I just put the grill back on. Maybe no need to worry about it. I did run a fan test at max speed and it sucks very well.  

40 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Did you installed a filter as we were discussing? I thought to cut a peace from a new cabin filter and place it behind the grill but no filters left in stock so I just put the grill back on. Maybe no need to worry about it. I did run a fan test at max speed and it sucks very well.  

No, I did not install it, because there is no place for it. Also since it was not really extremelly dirty I just said that I will clean it in another few years. Since I generally keep my car clean, it should not be a problem ;).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mtl said:

No, I did not install it, because there is no place for it. Also since it was not really extremelly dirty I just said that I will clean it in another few years. Since I generally keep my car clean, it should not be a problem ;).

Thanks, I thought the same. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links