Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Auris Hybrid 200 000 miles service

TonyHSD

Have you got a 200,000 mile club sticker from Toyota Tony? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gray86 said:

Have you got a 200,000 mile club sticker from Toyota Tony? 

I do 150 on the windscreen and 200 on the rear. Now hoping for the 300 one for the side windows. The car also been at Silverstone Toyota event 22, done 3 laps , slowest car ever but has their trophy too 🏆 🛣🚘

image.thumb.jpeg.6163220ee3bdce1b43695b400eab4732.jpeg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Tony, your car looks fantastic for the 200k plus mileage

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Lea said:

Tony, your car looks fantastic for the 200k plus mileage

Yes, it’s not too bad. Thank you. 👍

• Like 1

@TonyHSD Are you still on original wheel bearings?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, APS said:

@TonyHSD Are you still on original wheel bearings?

Hi,  I wish I was 🙂

First full set was changed at 136000 miles in January 2020.
It was not real need to change but there were some light whining noises., they could had run for a lot more but I went with all new Blueprints on all 4 corners. 
On 10/21 at 186000 rear left has gone bad, the built in speed sensor, replaced with SKF.
Then a year later on 12/22 at 232k miles the rear right gone too, same problem and again replaced with SKF.
The front blueprints are still good after 103000 miles covered.
All documented in another post. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

First full set was changed at 136000 miles in January 2020.

That's uncanny. The front bearings on our 2010 Auris HSD started to get noisy at about 130k and were replaced at around 135k.

It's interesting that the E12 Corolla seemed to have had better bearings. My 230k mile Corolla ran to its dying days on original factory mounted ones. Still completely silent.

On 10/21 at 186000 rear left has gone bad, the built in speed sensor, replaced with SKF.

You'd never go too far wrong with SKF. Fun fact - I ordered a cam belt kit for the old 4A-GE engine from SKF and received an OEM Koyo tension roller. Same as mounted from factory in the 80's. 

All documented in another post. 👍

Ha! Yes I did spot you actually mentioned the bearings earlier in this thread. I should've expected nothing less from you 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, APS said:

That's uncanny. The front bearings on our 2010 Auris HSD started to get noisy at about 130k and were replaced at around 135k.

It's interesting that the E12 Corolla seemed to have had better bearings. My 230k mile Corolla ran to its dying days on original factory mounted ones. Still completely silent.

You'd never go too far wrong with SKF. Fun fact - I ordered a cam belt kit for the old 4A-GE engine from SKF and received an OEM Koyo tension roller. Same as mounted from factory in the 80's. 

Ha! Yes I did spot you actually mentioned the bearings earlier in this thread. I should've expected nothing less from you 🙂

Thanks.
230k for original bearings it’s impressive indeed 👍

The SKF recommended by Flash , been selling these but never used in my car and they seems high quality.. The first one skf was from their own produce  but the second was aisin inside. Both well made.
The blueprint also looked good quality but the rears didn’t last.
How they failed is interesting. First they started to smell like burnt lubricant, dry differential if you get me. Then after many miles like that 20-30k or more they totally failed from inside, the grease was out, the speed sensor damaged probably from overheating and the wire plug harness metal pins damaged by corrosion. They triggered the faults and caused some trouble, the hybrids  need constant speed information of each wheel to have ecu controlling the transmission and brakes accordingly. We will see how the car will continue to work at that age and mileage. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After two days work on the egr system I have done also another service as I had  8000 miles since last one. Just a simple oil and filter change.
With the egr system now cleaned and a new pcv valve fitted it will be interesting to see how the oil consumption will be. I have not even tested the car yet if it drives ok, will do tomorrow. This service might be the last one and I will miss working on this car. Over 200k miles in 8 years done by myself, driving and taking care of my Auris hybrid.
Here when I bought it 17/10/2015 and today 18/05/2023.

image.thumb.jpeg.4353f1721abd559c91765c221953c588.jpeg  image.thumb.jpeg.9eb6a296e3edb825bd83970c9affecee.jpeg

• Like 5

Great work.
What will you replace it with?

32 minutes ago, mtl said:

Great work.
What will you replace it with?

Thanks. 
I may need to stop driving for some time and I hope the car survives  the break and then back on the road. I am not gonna drive as much and I don’t want to change the car. I do really hope this Auris last me a bit longer, perhaps up to 300k miles to get the third Toyota high mile Club sticker. 👌

• Like 1

I read that not driving it for longer time it can damage the Battery, because it discharges to much. Do you intend to run the engine every month or so, so that the Battery keeps the charge?

13 minutes ago, mtl said:

I read that not driving it for longer time it can damage the battery, because it discharges to much. Do you intend to run the engine every month or so, so that the battery keeps the charge?

You mean the hybrid Battery or the 12v Battery?
I will set into ready mode once a week or so to keep the 12v Battery charged and meanwhile the hybrid battery will get some work to do too. The hybrid batteries can last safely without use up to 6 months as far as I understood from Toyota info sheet but then they will need charge. I hope I only won’t drive for few weeks and then start driving a gain from time to time. I was experimenting with this car what happens if you drive 200-300 miles a day every day and it did it ok for the last 4 years , let see how well will do if not used and just seats parked on the driveway., it did survive all lockdowns , therefore should be ok now👍

I meant the hybrid Battery. I was not looking into the info sheet, but also service guy at Toyota told me, that it is not good for batteries if the car is not used.
But that is a good news if they can be up to 6 months not used.

Anyway, I hope you will be good to drive asap ;).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mtl said:

I meant the hybrid battery. I was not looking into the info sheet, but also service guy at Toyota told me, that it is not good for batteries if the car is not used.
But that is a good news if they can be up to 6 months not used.

Anyway, I hope you will be good to drive asap ;).

Thanks. 
I just had polished the headlights too. They had turned a bit yellowish and ugly. Now all good again. I may get some car cover to throw above when not in use , I have wheel covers to protect the discs as rear are also brand new , two weeks ago fitted. image.thumb.jpeg.4f3d8f7e46c5d8c9ed71c5d004786674.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb89246d8dd25a1c13f6537ffa42d1ce.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/15/2023 at 4:05 PM, TonyHSD said:

Thanks.
230k for original bearings it’s impressive indeed 👍

The SKF recommended by Flash , been selling these but never used in my car and they seems high quality.. The first one skf was from their own produce  but the second was aisin inside. Both well made.
The blueprint also looked good quality but the rears didn’t last.
How they failed is interesting. First they started to smell like burnt lubricant, dry differential if you get me. Then after many miles like that 20-30k or more they totally failed from inside, the grease was out, the speed sensor damaged probably from overheating and the wire plug harness metal pins damaged by corrosion. They triggered the faults and caused some trouble, the hybrids  need constant speed information of each wheel to have ecu controlling the transmission and brakes accordingly. We will see how the car will continue to work at that age and mileage. 

How do you find out which wheel bearing has gone?

2 hours ago, Excel777 said:

How do you find out which wheel bearing has gone?

My wheel bearings failure were on the built in speed sensors and they triggered a fault codes for each wheel. Before that there was a smell of burning grease like, similar smell comes from tractors and other heavy machinery when you walk around. Perhaps the bearings been overheated and seals gone bad , lost lubricant and damage the sensors, plus one of them had also wire pins broken from corrosion. Here more information. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks. 
I just had polished the headlights too. They had turned a bit yellowish and ugly. Now all good again. I may get some car cover to throw above when not in use , I have wheel covers to protect the discs as rear are also brand new , two weeks ago fitted. image.thumb.jpeg.4f3d8f7e46c5d8c9ed71c5d004786674.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.fb89246d8dd25a1c13f6537ffa42d1ce.jpeg

Nice, crystal! :thumbsup: 

I hope you're applying some sort of UV protective coating after you polish them tho', as the polycarbonate lenses will yellow again faster without it...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

I hope you're applying some sort of UV protective coating after you polish them tho', as the polycarbonate lenses will yellow again faster without it...

Thanks.
They aren’t as crystal clear as on the pictures, but it’s the case with the whole car - on pictures like new, in reality old and well used.
I did applied though 2 in1 cleaner and sealer, no time for spraying clear coat or applying those wipes that need hot and dry weather and no wind. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 8:33 PM, Cyker said:

I agree.

If respraying is not an option I recommend this:
Meguiars.thumb.jpg.da8e5f9bd82770a66266d62502f36f7f.jpg

It lasts for a month or two and creates a protective layer. Applying it is easy and you can immediatelly feel the difference after applying it.

Thankfully all my cars headlights are ok but I use it on all my cars with plastic headlights as preventative maintenance. And both Auris and Twingo RS have headlights that are keen to degradation.

• Thanks 1

Just watch scotty kilmers latest video , bog standard Corolla 1.8 petrol manual nearly 300,000 miles with only basic maintenance 

• Like 1

Thanks guys 👍
I had my left hip replaced last week and been discharged from hospital two days ago . My Auris is dead on 245000 miles, fully serviced the week before surgery with new oil and filters, egr system cleaned and headlights restored and covered by diy covers 🕶 Wheels also had covers to protect against corrosion on the brakes as new rear discs and pads were fitted recently.
She is now having her deserved break. Not going to drive for at least 5 weeks or so. , and then after it will be nothing like before. perhaps few visits to family in London and day or two work if I return. 
The DIY work is officially over, for some time at least. 
image.thumb.jpeg.d6222aa7253becb1b63fc28d34d62593.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d864439ae136d3a94832c8d4eca88525.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I had my left hip replaced last week...

Tony - I hope you have a swift and complete recovery.  I've had several friends and family members who have had hips replaced, all with great success.  I'm sure yours will be the same.  Just remember to do the physio exercises!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had my left hip replaced last week and been discharged from hospital two days ago .

Off topic, but I hope it goes well Tony. I had my left hip replaced 22 years ago - accident!

Saw a Consultant last Friday and now on his list for the right side.:rolleyes:

As Andrew writes, the exercises, post op, are key.