Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

Hi folks picked up my brand new Yaris cross 4 th December and recently noticed rust around the welds of both boot hinges. Car going into garage next Thursday but just wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem. My car is white so rust staining shows up more clearly

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I wouldn’t be happy, being so new, get in the bun fight and reject the car. 

• Like 3

That's odd for what must be a very recently built car...you sure it isn't a residue of some protective gunk.?

Why next week.?...IF it's rust I'd be on the dealer's doorstep immediately.

• Like 2

Folks, thanks for feedback so far, as car is going back into Toyota next week for assessment ( paint thickness etc and photos going to Toyota ) I'll reserve judgement - what I don't want is a protracted ongoing fix scenario. I'll make it clear I want a one time and lasting solution. I don't think it's protective gunk as it wasn't there when I picked the car up but we'll see what the Arnold Clark garage has to say next week.

• Like 2

The hinges are bolted on, not welded. I sincerely hope it is not rust, the body goes through a dip/paint process so would be very unlikely to be rust, the hinges are also painted. 

• Like 4

From attached pic you'll see there's some type of sealant ( looks like a weld when you zoom in ) around the bottom of the hinge plate.

IMG20220131150330.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it does look like rust as you say, but it might not be, I just looked at a black one, and there is what looks like a mastic under the hinge as you say. Toyota will be very interested to see that, your dealer will pass everything to them, they usually act quickly with new models to ensure quality moving forward

• Like 3

It looks like a (oxidized) wax to me, heat a pin/needle up and see if it melts

• Like 2

Yes, it does look like glue or wax indeed, and you can see how its peeling off, perhaps best to clean it properly with tfr and valet brush , jet wash too, but if it’s a rust indeed I would rather reject the car as this is obvious sign of poor quality product and similar rust can occur on many other parts/places, and if this has a  smart repair it will rust again quickly afterwards . White Yaris owners to check theirs too👌

• Like 4

It looks like wax, not rust. Can you pierce into it?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mark Borthwick said:

Will give it a try.... once it stops snowing ...

Has the car bought brand new and you are the first registered keeper? Under the hinge there are some signs of sandpaper like scratches and the paint look very poor to me, also not good amount of lacquer on top,. I know latest cars has less paint and all that but this one looks like previously repaired car. 

3A7DA6AC-E0DE-4633-931B-0594B1A3C7E6.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mark Borthwick said:

Will give it a try.... once it stops snowing ...

A lot of members will be interested on the outcome, keep us posted 

• Like 2

On closer inspection it does look like it could wax type stuff.  Is there any benefit on cleaning it up and putting some sealant around, it’s a hinge not generally seen.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be doing too much to it, let the dealer look at it, take photo's and check it out, no point in cleaning it all off, get it looked at and they can clean it off, then if it is rust it can be actioned 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

On closer inspection it does look like it could wax type stuff.  Is there any benefit on cleaning it up and putting some sealant around, it’s a hinge not generally seen.

If it is wax, I’d leave it. It will wash off eventually, but it’s best left there for protection reasons imo.

• Like 1

Yep, loathe to do anything re trying to clean it up before garage look at it. I am hoping it's only some type of "bleed" from sealant rather than rust.

• Like 2

I agree you not touch it, see what dealer says/does.

• Like 3

thats why I suggested a pin, wax goes on clear it yellows as it ages, its not exactly bare steel

the boot opening and under bonnet are a matt/satin finish

• Like 1

That's right it's a Matt finish on paint beneath the boot. I'll try the hot pin test over the weekend.

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

the paint look very poor to me, also not good amount of lacquer on top,.

It is common nowadays for cars not to have lacquer applied in areas which are not visible from the outside. All part of weight saving which Mazda started in 2009 with the second generation Mazda 2. Virtually all other manufacturers have followed suit.

• Like 3

In spite of that area not being visible with the door shut and whether it is rust or some kind of protection/sealant, it would be totally unacceptable to me.

Unless there has been changes in the way the hatch door top hinges are secured/fixed I can only relate to my own 8 years old bog standard Yaris Hatchback. The hinges are the same, why would Toyota change a proven component? They show no signs of anything like in the picture. There's no visible rust or any kind of sealant/protection. There might be something underneath the hinges on mine to mitigate steel to steel contact but there's nothing visible.

As others have advised, I wouldn't touch them with anything until they have been properly inspected by the dealer or Toyota.

It's a Toyota Yaris Cross I have but I dont know if boot attachments are the same as a Yaris.

14 minutes ago, Mark Borthwick said:

It's a Toyota Yaris Cross I have but I dont know if boot attachments are the same as a Yaris.

They look very similar, I managed to get a picture from auto trader but the best is if anyone who owns same as yours or standard Yaris mk4 which the car is based on to take a closer picture of the hinges, no matter what colour is the car, it looks to me that there is no bonding material between both hinge and metal work of the car and this is indeed rust that has started to peel off the car paint work, from what I can judge from the picture and seen from distance. 

68B5ADAD-4197-4663-9F9B-72532DF75216.jpeg

• Like 1

Yep Yaris hinges look like Yaris cross at top but from your pic I can't see the bottom of the hinge plate where it joins the body and that's where the problem lies on mine

• Like 1