Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

I have just looked at my car.

I have to admit that it's hinges are different, only appearing to be slightly smaller and one securing "bolt" to the body. However, the visible round and flat  head of the single "bolt" is much bigger. In spite of that the construction and method of fixing is the same.

Most definitely no rust or brownish colour appearance as in Mark's car.

Hi Mark. I have the exact same problem with my toyota Yaris which I bought from toyota in January 2021. I am also taking it to toyota this week! I am very dissapointed to say the least, it shouldn’t happen on brand new cars which aren’t even a year old!!

C79D9A6D-5F52-4D13-858B-65F81C8EF374.thumb.jpeg.1883189fded96153c23da0726e9d6456.jpeg

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Jodie Darmanin said:

I have the exact same problem with my toyota Yaris which I bought from toyota in January 2021. I am also taking it to toyota this week! 

You wouldn't have bought it from Toyota - you would have bought it from a dealer, and you will be taking it into a dealer this week.

First 6/8 months of production is always a period of fine tuning. In this world of cost cutting, processes will be reviewed and materials cut back on.

The new Yaris/Cross production won’t settle down until towards end of this year, so expect a few teething problems. 
Key is to report back to dealer - who will then log issues with Toyota, who in turn will review and fix.

• Like 1

Random thought... could there be some kind of additional shim under the hinge to correct a body/tailgate alignment issue. It's not possible to make out clearly from the pics. Also is the metal work on the body along that top edge 'true' and free of obvious distortion. Zoom in on the area in front of the hinge. 

2092691100_Screenshot2022-02-07135507.thumb.jpg.0e60b8d0777923bfd78038deae8f3fb1.jpg

1464865731_Screenshot2022-02-07135631.thumb.jpg.cda516159e2e84e91ede99963d507c12.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll take a closer look. There is also a small "creaking" noise when I open the boot ( maybe just some grease/oil needs applied somewhere )

17 hours ago, Starensis said:

First 6/8 months of production is always a period of fine tuning. 

Spot on - been there & got the t shirt in the Toyota forklift world when a new model is launched, we fed plenty of stuff back for factory attention on new products in the past.

Then you seen the products design / build improvements filter in to later production. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Random thought... could there be some kind of additional shim under the hinge to correct a body/tailgate alignment issue. It's not possible to make out clearly from the pics. Also is the metal work on the body along that top edge 'true' and free of obvious distortion. Zoom in on the area in front of the hinge. 

2092691100_Screenshot2022-02-07135507.thumb.jpg.0e60b8d0777923bfd78038deae8f3fb1.jpg

1464865731_Screenshot2022-02-07135631.thumb.jpg.cda516159e2e84e91ede99963d507c12.jpg

Does not appear to be a shim under the hinge from a catalogue point of view, although the pics do suggest a bead of mastic or similar under the hinge

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mark Borthwick said:

There is also a small "creaking" noise when I open the boot

Interesting. That obviously shouldn't occur on a new car. The picture looks almost like it is lifting at that left hand edge of the hinge. Could the body (that top edge) be 'twisting' as the hatch opens/close. Twisting as in something isn't true somewhere. Can you see any possible gap open/close as you slowly move the hatch.

7 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Does not appear to be a shim under the hinge from a catalogue point of view, although the pics do suggest a bead of mastic or similar under the hinge

Thanks Kingo. It looks to me almost like it is moving and lifting in that area.    

I think we have summed up what it "might be" best left for the dealer/Toyota to investigate now, as mentioned, new models are looked at carefully in the first year, so you should get an answer quite quickly 

• Like 2

Yep, car goes into dealers Thursday, I'll feedback findings and what Toyota are proposing regarding fix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 8:28 AM, Mark Borthwick said:

Hi folks picked up my brand new Yaris cross 4 th December and recently noticed rust around the welds of both boot hinges. Car going into garage next Thursday but just wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem. My car is white so rust staining shows up more clearly

Picked mine up 13th January but was in the Country in November and have orange in places around the rear boot hinges but nowhere near as bad would be interesting what they say it is and if they do a recall if it's bad and enough of these cars with same issue.

• Like 1

OK folks, just back from Toyota dealer with update on the Yaris cross "rusty" boot hinge plate problem and according to dealer the deposit is a slight "bleed" from a wax sealant/barrier that's used between the boot hinge plate and the body of the car ( think someone in this string suggested this might be the source ).  Anyway dealer stated its definitely not rust and cleaned up the area around the hinges. Hopefully that's the last I'll see of the "problem"....at least I got the car washed by the dealer !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As suspected I think by a few, good to know it wasn't rust 👍

That's great...though a "no surprise" result..

Good to hear that. 👍 Do you have any pictures after the cleaning, just out of interest. 👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Borthwick said:

Yep, thank god.

That’s great news Mark, I’ve been following the posts with interest, the result is the one we all were hoping for 👏👏.

Well that's a relief! I didn't even know they sealed things like that!!

• Like 1

Certainly would be good to see the new pictures Mark.

I did think that it looked like rust from the original pictures.

Iain

The affected Toyota Yaris boot hinge plate before and after dealer cleaned off the brown "wax/sealant" deposit.

IMG20220131150330.jpg

IMG20220211112339.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

TBH, I'd rather see too much wax protection than not enough.

Glad they cleaned it up for you though.

I would say Manufacturing plant don't see it as an issue; area is not visible in normal circumstances and not subject to Top coat paint finish.

• Like 1