Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

20 hours ago, anchorman said:

I doubt it has melted nor would it in anything less than most normal climates but it is sprayed on as photographed above and there are photos showing you can wipe it off with panel wipe.  If you’re that worried, cancel your order and buy something else.  I’ve got one and I’m not at all worried.  

Please, could you show me pictures showing wiping out those stains, but not at the factory, when it is fresh, but made by owners or service of Toyota, and what is the result. Till today, I've seen many video reviewes, when someone pulls out trunk shelf, and those stains are there. In my opinion, it should be cleaned by factory or dealer, before giving it to a client. Maybe, not many owners during taking over a brand new car is checking a space under the bonnet, but when I did it (before test ride), it was not to check a faults but to see how AWD-i motor is mounted, and how much additional space could I find. I was supried, by this look at a brand new car. This problem (for me it is a problem to be solved) occured in (not one - but many) brand new Yaris Cross cars.

• Like 3

Here it’s so funny situation.  
Some owners can clearly see that their cars has developed a rust in an ultra short time and shared their frustrations and problems.  
Others who own the same cars which has something like marks left from something but no obvious rust, or at least not yet are trying to bend the truth and proof that this is no rust and it’s something normal.
Basically members split in two teams against each other, where all together should be fighting for their rights and against Toyota. It is not ok to buy a new car from Toyota or any other manufacturer and this car to have any paint or corrosion protection issues, not at least in the first 10 years. 
I am not gonna fight with either of the teams, I have no Yaris cross to see in person but from the pictures shared it is obvious that some cars has developed a rust and some hasn’t of yet but interestingly and more so worrying is that the rust spots are matching the the marks of non rusted cars the liquid spilled, therefore make sense whatever has been spilled there to be the cause of rust. There should not be any residue of liquids or inhibitors on top of the new car paint , no on hinges, no on the floor pans. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Here it’s so funny situation.  
Some owners can clearly see that their cars has developed a rust in an ultra short time and shared their frustrations and problems.  
Others who own the same cars which has something like marks left from something but no obvious rust, or at least not yet are trying to bend the truth and proof that this is no rust and it’s something normal.
Basically members split in two teams against each other, where all together should be fighting for their rights and against Toyota. It is not ok to buy a new car from Toyota or any other manufacturer and this car to have any paint or corrosion protection issues, not at least in the first 10 years. 
I am not gonna fight with either of the teams, I have no Yaris cross to see in person but from the pictures shared it is obvious that some cars has developed a rust and some hasn’t of yet but interestingly and more so worrying is that the rust spots are matching the the marks of non rusted cars the liquid spilled, therefore make sense whatever has been spilled there to be the cause of rust. There should not be any residue of liquids or inhibitors on top of the new car paint , no on hinges, no on the floor pans. 

I’ve got the stains but I’m not fighting with anyone against Toyota because I’ve yet to see evidence they are producing rusty cars.  

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I’ve got the stains but I’m not fighting with anyone against Toyota because I’ve yet to see evidence they are producing rusty cars.  

Exactly where are all the photos of rust (not something that may be rust or looks like rust) posted by all these  owners that bought rusty new  cars.

• Haha 2

I'm not saying "OMG RUST!11!!", but asking a question.

Toyota told me to NOT wipe it off, so I won't.

All I want to know is: does this need actioning now BEFORE it becomes an issue? Toyota thinks it's OK at this time.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

All I want to know is: does this need actioning now BEFORE it becomes an issue? Toyota thinks it's OK at this time.

That would do for me.  😉

Keep a copy of everything then if it does become a problem in the future you have back up.

• Like 1

At the end of the day there is no actual proof that what the majority of photos are showing, is rust.

The member who originally posted this topic had their car examined by the dealer and the hinges on their car were not displaying signs of rust, but some type of wax barrier/sealant, and the area was cleaned up by the dealer to the member's satisfaction.

If members have doubts about their cars, then have them inspected by your dealer. 

There is no point in scaremongering by saying these photos definitely are showing rust when one hasn't actually seen the car in the metal, and this conjecture isn't helping anyone.

Can we please move on without any further claims or counter claims. 

Thank you !

• Like 5

On 4/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I swear you say something someone doesn't like and they straight-up twist what is being said.

First, I'm not talking "the liquid". What is the bubbly appearance that looks oddly like you'd see with corrosion? THAT is what I'm troubled by.

Second, in this pic, there remains what appears to be flaky paint. Not cool.

Please, be objective. No amount of delusion will make this go away.

YCboot3.JPG.6bcef21d59dcf5bfa3d0771c9d4a

PAINT FLAKING OFF?

image.thumb.png.d13114741ee6e1932e4088a936fad413.png

image.thumb.png.8e33bb354ba3d6e5d476932026f9ec26.png

I revisited the "bubbly" and "flaky" area you were concerned about. First, here is a macro shot from a different angle.

YCboot4.thumb.JPG.582b9ba535d07e7bcff45b86400714f7.JPG

After some more rubbing we get.

YCboot5.thumb.jpg.ed6d0a4835d026a021c497b9fb590f17.jpg

In these thicker deposits there is the bronze top layer which is mistaken for rust. Under that there is beige layer which is sticky and has depth so may give the impression of bubbling. Under that there is the speckled smooth finish of the boot floor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IT Troll said:

I revisited the "bubbly" and "flaky" area you were concerned about. First, here is a macro shot from a different angle.

YCboot4.thumb.JPG.582b9ba535d07e7bcff45b86400714f7.JPG

After some more rubbing we get.

YCboot5.thumb.jpg.ed6d0a4835d026a021c497b9fb590f17.jpg

In these thicker deposits there is the bronze top layer which is mistaken for rust. Under that there is beige layer which is sticky and has depth so may give the impression of bubbling. Under that there is the speckled smooth finish of the boot floor.

Oh but the drama queens wanted rust.  Are you sure you’ve not photoshopped some sound unblemished metal over a hole you can get your arm through 😉

• Haha 6

Please, be objective. No amount of delusion will make this go away.

But a bit of a rub will 😉

Here is the evidence i think we can all now agree "rust" is not an issue on the new Cross?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

But a bit of a rub will 😉

Here is the evidence i think we can all now agree "rust" is not an issue on the new Cross?

Oh I doubt that will be the end of it.  With a bit of imagination we can link this advanced corrosion to the deficiencies of the AWD system.....  wait, I think I can see the captain's clock in all that build up of rust, this has to be the wreck we’ve been searching for 😉

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, IT Troll said:

I revisited the "bubbly" and "flaky" area you were concerned about.

That is very informative. Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, as promised, I had the New Cross in for towbar fitting today and as expected it had the stain in the boot.  I tried panel wipe but it won’t come off.  It reminds me of Danish Oil because it’s set like varnish and the same colour.  I never thought to try thinners which is very aggressive but if I get another I will.  It’s full of little bubbles which is what looks like rust spots but they just scrape off.  I was very impressed to find the entire chassis members are fill with the same sloppy white grease as the sills.  There’s no danger of these things rotting anytime soon.  

4833279A-D6FD-4D80-8506-B5B1AF776445.jpeg

9789B0EA-2AEA-478A-8417-C81817B1CA36.jpeg

FE816C07-EF75-41E1-BA49-4F020E98F366.jpeg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

So, as promised, I had the New Cross in for towbar fitting today and as expected it had the stain in the boot.  I tried panel wipe but it won’t come off.  It reminds me of Danish Oil because it’s set like varnish and the same colour.  I never thought to try thinners which is very aggressive but if I get another I will.  It’s full of little bubbles which is what looks like rust spots but they just scrape off.  I was very impressed to find the entire chassis members are fill with the same sloppy white grease as the sills.  There’s no danger of these things rotting anytime soon.  

4833279A-D6FD-4D80-8506-B5B1AF776445.jpeg

9789B0EA-2AEA-478A-8417-C81817B1CA36.jpeg

FE816C07-EF75-41E1-BA49-4F020E98F366.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures 👍

Have you noticed anything unusual around the hinges, the door shut area on the rear hatch ? This is more of an interest to me. The marks in the boot I can agree looks like something spilled or not drained properly which is not a big deal if don’t cause anything, just not very good aesthetic but except you and me not many will look inside 😂 

I didn’t but it’s coming back on Friday (weather permitting) as we need to complete fitting front and rear dashcams and some other jobs.   Tony, the Shell is dipped in this stuff, the roll it head over heels then sit it the right way up on the production track which is why every car has that little tidal wave at the back.  The solution gets inside every cavity including the roof so seeing some around the hinges is inevitable.  Of the ones in the reports with it round the hinges, nobody has reported back which is typical drama stuff.  I took a photo inside the chassis where the anchors go for the towbar and sure enough the brown solution is there.  These cars are not rusty, they have visible brown rust inhibitor on them.  

F34CDAA4-D187-41A5-AAB4-8FADF17870B2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know way back in the Dark Ages, some B.M.C. models' body shells were hot dipped in zinc, on a spit contraption. The Shell was dunked and turned on the spit ensuring everywhere was zinc plated as an anti-corrosion measure - it never worked. The cars started rusting before they left the factory.:laugh:

1 hour ago, olonas said:

I know way back in the Dark Ages, some B.M.C. models' body shells were hot dipped in zinc, on a spit contraption. The shell was dunked and turned on the spit ensuring everywhere was zinc plated as an anti-corrosion measure - it never worked. The cars started rusting before they left the factory.:laugh:

I think that solution was Red Robbo’s lads trick - water!!! 

2 hours ago, anchorman said:

I didn’t but it’s coming back on Friday (weather permitting) as we need to complete fitting front and rear dashcams and some other jobs.   Tony, the shell is dipped in this stuff, the roll it head over heels then sit it the right way up on the production track which is why every car has that little tidal wave at the back.  The solution gets inside every cavity including the roof so seeing some around the hinges is inevitable.  Of the ones in the reports with it round the hinges, nobody has reported back which is typical drama stuff.  I took a photo inside the chassis where the anchors go for the towbar and sure enough the brown solution is there.  These cars are not rusty, they have visible brown rust inhibitor on them.  

F34CDAA4-D187-41A5-AAB4-8FADF17870B2.jpeg

Thank you. 
If that’s anti rust treatment  it’s ok. I don’t mind it as on obviously unless you look under the interior plastics you won’t see it. It’s a bit strange that I never seen it on any other car including different Toyota models but lest say it’s a new technology. Only these examples with rust on hinges and around the door shut area it’s something that’s is not acceptable and shouldn’t happen on new cars. 
I had discovered a new paint peeling away in that particular area yesterday after a thorough car wash ., but my car is 12.5 years old and driven in the worst possible conditions. Plus it’s from the problematic colour from that era.

Here .  

78C62984-1791-4FCF-8CBF-48DF10659812.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

On the subject of rusting of the rear hatch hinges on the Yaris Cross. I want to share this with fellow Cross owners.

The model I have is a 2022 Dynamic which has the bi-coloured roof which is red / black. The reason I say this is the photos show a tinge of red for the reflections from the underside of the hatch.

Anyway, the car is washed nearly every two weeks and two months ago whilst wiping out the hatch gutters I noticed a rust patch appearing. There always has been some raised compound showing between the hinge and the body and thought this was sealing compound. If you take a look at the last attached image you of some salvaged hinges on eBay you will see that the factory fits a packer. The packer has from what I can make out attacked or lifted the paint work under the hinge allowing it to rust.

I contacted my Dealer / Service centre and they reported the issue to Toyota UK. Toyota have authorised my Dealer’s third party Accident and Repair Centre (ARC) to rectify the paint fault and fit new hinges.

I have had to wait 6 weeks for ARC to obtain the hinges as they were of back order with Toyota UK spares. The car is booked in for the first week of January 2024.

One other thing to note and that is Toyota UK do not cover the cost of a courtesy car should you need one. As my car is the only car in the household I had to press my dealer for one and they have obliged.

I will submit an update on how things went with the ARC and will post images of the results.

IMG_3871sm.jpg

IMG_3872sm.jpg

IMG_3873sm.jpg

IMG_3874sm.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-29 171902.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks, those are good pictures for reference. Is it just my monitor or is the corrosion green in places?? :confused1:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Thanks, those are good pictures for reference. Is it just my monitor or is the corrosion green in places?? :confused1:

No. You're not seeing things...

• Like 1

What could that be? The only thing I associate green corrosion with is copper, but there shouldn't be any copper there. Maybe if they used copper grease for some reason?

What else could it be? Algea??

This issue seems to me like there is something missing or wrong in galvanising process or the materials used to made hinges and as mentioned a chemical reaction. All these bubbles comes usually on accident repaired cars after two three years and it’s because the new panels aren’t galvanised as it was the whole body before was damaged. The reason why Corolla now has dedicated pads placed between hinges and bodywork, it could be to prevent metal to metal contact and rust. 

• Like 1

You’d have to look at the insulators to see if they are made from green material.  I’ve seen and photographed the residue that comes from the pre paint dip and we’ve seen it on the boot floor so I’d want to scrape away the bubbling paint to see if that is rust that’s lifted the paint or if the paint has reacted with the chemical dip.  It doesn’t make sense for it to be rust at this age on a car that’s been electrostatically dipped.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links