Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

4 hours ago, Mark Borthwick said:

The affected Toyota Yaris boot hinge plate before and after dealer cleaned off the brown "wax/sealant" deposit.

IMG20220131150330.jpg

IMG20220211112339.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pictures 👍 I think darker colour would work in favour to mask things like that, white and bright colours in general are nice and hold on dirt on the exterior but door shuts and hinges kind of showing off more than on black or dark colour, each has +&- .,  Now looks better 👌

Looks better than before Mark, but  from the picture still not perfect ?

I'd keep my eye on it, at least you've had the dealer look at it and I would imagine the issue would be logged with them.

Iain

Not every spot of deposit removed but dealer saying they did not want to remove too much of the wax sealant/barrier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Borthwick said:

Not every spot of deposit removed but dealer saying they did not want to remove too much of the wax sealant/barrier.

Yeah I'm sure they didn't want to go digging too deep into the sealant.

• 1 year later...

I've bought Yaris Cross, stll waiting for delivery, but yesterday I went to a dealer to check if spare tyre could fit some way under the shelf. When I opened a demonstration car trunk I've noticed a rust. At first i thought, that someone has spilled something, but when checked, i saw raw stell under the red bubbles. Also paint under the bonnet both at the back and front appears to have hery thin layer of paint (look at the colour of paint, very pale).

IMG_E2354[1].JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Kedarem said:

I've bought Yaris Cross, stll waiting for delivery, but yesterday I went to a dealer to check if spare tyre could fit some way under the shelf. When I opened a demonstration car trunk I've noticed a rust. At first i thought, that someone has spilled something, but when checked, i saw raw stell under the red bubbles. Also paint under the bonnet both at the back and front appears to have hery thin layer of paint (look at the colour of paint, very pale).

IMG_E2354[1].JPG

Many car manufacturers  are doing this little paint under and behind large parts to save paint and weight with obvious consequences. Particularly happens on cheaper models like Yaris, Corolla, Camry or rav4 phev has more paint for sure, so again savings goes to the company not customer. 
Hinges been reworked and now have extra pads to prevent corrosion. 
Definitely an issue with later Toyota cars and particularly those built during lockdown periods. You should not be worried too much as you will be covered by manufacturer warranty for 10 years plus latest cars been reworked, check Corolla and Yaris hinges on brand new showroom cars and you can see for yourself. Corolla rear and YC front.
image.thumb.jpeg.26c65bec4856ceca830d2fb3ccba2968.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9ac0fb92a2d07b86429e499a0b2f7a95.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kedarem said:

IMG_E2354[1].JPG

That’s corrosion inhibitor.  They all have it including mine.  

• Like 2

If what Kedarem shows in their photo is inhibitor, it ain't doing a very good job on the rust spots!

7 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

If what Kedarem shows in their photo is inhibitor, it ain't doing a very good job on the rust spots!

There’s no rust on mine.  I’d have to see the red one to make a judgement.

Isn't bubbling a sign of corrosion? Looks bubbly in the pale red photos.

I'll have a look at ours tomorrow (uhh...today...).

When did the Cross enter production? I think the build date of ours was Feb 2022.

• Like 1

It looks like rust and those marks from whatever solution been left on the metal sheet could be the culprit. Toyota Yaris and Yaris cross and Corolla from 20-21 years has rust issues that are documented here. Some dealers got away with explaining its a glue which could be in some cases but in others it’s not and it’s pure rust. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It looks like rust and those marks from whatever solution been left on the metal sheet could be the culprit. Toyota Yaris and Yaris cross and Corolla from 20-21 years has rust issues that are documented here. Some dealers got away with explaining its a glue which could be in some cases but in others it’s not and it’s pure rust. 

Was the cause of the marks ever established? How is it repaired?

Bad location from what I can tell. Isn't this part of the floorpan/structural?

On 3/16/2023 at 8:26 AM, TonyHSD said:

You should not be worried too much as you will be covered by manufacturer warranty for 10 years plus latest cars been reworked, check Corolla

Not quite.

The manufacturers warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles, followed by a service generated extended warranty for up to 10 years/100,000 miles. 

The paintwork is protected against surface rust for 3 years/unlimited mileage.

Toyota vehicles (excluding Hilux) are covered by a 12 year unlimited mileage anti-corrosion and perforation warranty on the metal body panels, protecting against rust perforation caused by a manufacturing fault.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not quite.

The manufacturers warranty is 3 years/60,000 miles, followed by a service generated extended warranty for up to 10 years/100,000 miles. 

The paintwork is protected against surface rust for 3 years/unlimited mileage.

Toyota vehicles (excluding Hilux) are covered by a 12 year unlimited mileage anti-corrosion and perforation warranty on the metal body panels, protecting against rust perforation caused by a manufacturing fault.

This perforation warranty 12 years thus should cover if these marks turn to be a rust indeed. It’s the floor pan yes and I don’t know if this gets rust within the first year plus hinges plus door shuts the car body will probably develop similar issues on other places , some likely unnoticed, if same happens to the floor , footwells . I have no Yaris or Yaris cross to check myself. Don says it’s not , but what if it is on other members cars, then it’s a problem.

Doubt whether it is rust, but if it were, it would be surface rust and would come under the paintwork warranty (3 years).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

This perforation warranty 12 years thus should cover if these marks turn to be a rust indeed. It’s the floor pan yes and I don’t know if this gets rust within the first year plus hinges plus door shuts the car body will probably develop similar issues on other places , some likely unnoticed, if same happens to the floor , footwells . I have no Yaris or Yaris cross to check myself. Don says it’s not , but what if it is on other members cars, then it’s a problem.

Frosty's right - The 12 year one only kicks in if there is a literal look-ma-I-can-see-light! hole formed by the rust. There've been people posting here before about bad rust, but were denied warranty coverage as the rust didn't go through the whole panel.

TBH it's a bit of a non-warranty as I don't see how it would be possible for something to rust through that badly without being spotted several years prior, and if it was spotted it would be classed as a pre-existing or ignored condition once it did rust through!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Frosty's right - The 12 year one only kicks in if there is a literal look-ma-I-can-see-light! hole formed by the rust. There've been people posting here before about bad rust, but were denied warranty coverage as the rust didn't go through the whole panel.

TBH it's a bit of a non-warranty as I don't see how it would be possible for something to rust through that badly without being spotted several years prior, and if it was spotted it would be classed as a pre-existing or ignored condition once it did rust through!

I haven’t claimed anything on a warranty on any car but these rust issues on other members were all fixed by the warranty, the Yaris from Malta remember, a couple of Corolla cars ? All within 2 years old. I don’t know after that period and on a second or next owners. Honestly I have no idea but I know that if others cars can develop rust so easily and quickly they won’t age well and will damage Toyota image for reliability. Imagine your cars now in 2025  they will be like opel cadets back in the days  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Doesn't all rust start at the surface? This isn't a paint defect if rust spots are forming. What happened to the basic protection coat? Do they class that as "paint"?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Is it a rust for real? 

It looks like it, yes. 😢  Seems whatever it is, is spilled on top of the paint, then eats through and corrodes the metal underneath.

• Sad 1

On 3/17/2023 at 11:50 PM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Doesn't all rust start at the surface? This isn't a paint defect if rust spots are forming. What happened to the basic protection coat? Do they class that as "paint"?

Well yes, rust does start on a surface with oxidisation.  Remember a metal sheet has two surfaces.  Years ago the first indication I had of rust was a dimple on the paintwork. The underlying rust spread much further. 

More recently, when Mercedes cut corners, I had some dirt and a little bit of surface rust in the boot.  The drain valve was blocked.  I poked with a cane and the bottom panel fell out.  Only the paint was there, the metal was gone. 

Hard to tell from the picture. 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

It looks like it, yes. 😢  Seems whatever it is, is spilled on top of the paint, then eats through and corrodes the metal underneath.

Your Cross will have that stain in the boot.  It’s the residue after dipping the car in production.  

I believe this is the beginning of the metal part starting to rust and it starts from inside( under the car) and forms these brownish marks like the inhibitor we think they look like. These cars seems to have a serious problems with anti corrosion treatment. Yaris from Malta was rusted on top of the rear hatch door shut , the paint work was bubbling badly. Others hinges, Corolla hinges too. If the cars were properly dipped into a bath of that grey treatment even without any paint over these metal parts should never get any rust at all in such a short time. I can only suggest to Yaris and Yaris cross owners to check theirs, look even under the car with torch and visit a dealer where a brand new same car without been registered is displayed in the showroom to check the boot and under the car. I am not arguing with anyone, just my personal opinion and what I wouldn’t have done if there were similar concerns on my car, these are almost brand new cars, anything like that it’s not acceptable. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links