Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

The base coat (colour) is sprayed on by robot, not many cars are dipped these days apart from the initial rust inhibitor

these stains are all in the same low point in the boot/floor pan

i would clean it up with IPA, what should neutralize any reaction - some well lit macro shots may help

• Like 4

Have not seen any evidence of corrosion in this Post, just overspray on Rust Inhibitor.

Tel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tel 2 said:

Have not seen any evidence of corrosion in this Post, just overspray on Rust Inhibitor.

Tel

Have you checked yours? 

4 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

Tel

It's not over spray, It's only at the lowest point, and it pooled and evaporated

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tel 2 said:

Tony,

Yes

Tel

Thanks.
I hope all it’s it’s ok with yours, others car owners that shared pictures here really looked bad. 

• Sad 2

On 3/20/2023 at 3:53 PM, Tel 2 said:

Tel

What is the bubbling that's clearly evident on ours? Note the images are much larger than imgur makes them appear.

Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/SP2dgSm.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

What is the bubbling that's clearly evident on ours? Note the images are much larger than imgur makes them appear.

Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/SP2dgSm.jpeg

Best to upload clear pictures directly on the forum. It’s easy and we click on them  they open on a new page and it’s great 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Best to upload clear pictures directly on the forum. It’s easy and we click on them  they open on a new page and it’s great 👍

Also use flash its impossible to see what is going on in that picture.

image.thumb.png.e04452a246cb02a217a99b05a67508f7.png

4 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Also use flash its impossible to see what is going on in that picture.

image.thumb.png.e04452a246cb02a217a99b05a67508f7.png

Cleaned, cropped and adjusted

image2.thumb.png.4b47cee5dd494a4744461919658e10c8.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Doesn't look like rust to me.

I hope you're right! It's booked in at a body shop under warranty for inspection. I'll post their findings.

I don’t understand this modern trend of not pulling your brand new car completely to pieces 😉😳

if you did, you’d understand that stain that appears in EVERY new Yaris and Yaris Cross.  The car is completely immersed in chemical dip prior to painting as part of production which they use to treat the metal (charged with electricity during the dip and there’s plenty of footage on YouTube showing that.   If you pull the panels off you can see that rear slam panel and the back door is a complex arrangement with boxes and cavities and that residue is what’s run out afterwards. It isn’t corrosion, it’s a stain and I’ve examined it closely.  It causes me zero concern but I’ll certainly be interested in what the dealer says because they sometimes come out with bewildering comments.   

6483E602-0C4E-4754-85CF-078FFBB8206E.jpeg

073DDC83-0D5C-467D-859D-A00E4E5E99CF.png

E147D792-75EC-4B28-B775-B891E88117F0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

This is my nearside hinge. Still damp from washing the car. I got something out and it felt gritty.  Immediately to the left are two similar coloured spots.  These are rust where there are two chips. 

I have sprayed some WD40 on the hinge plate and will monitor. 

IMG_20230326_141925.jpg

• Sad 1

Noting Don's picture above, I had my spare wheel out and had similar discoloration.  No problem there. 

Not really worried about the hinge rust? as I won't have the car that long. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To me on the red car looks like a rust bubbles started to form. On the white car looks like a liquid spill. If both are connected and one it’s an early stage of the other only the time can tell. On the silver Yaris the rust on hinges seems bad and it is about to spread further., plus it’s not on the hinges only but in the door shuts too.
It seems like Toyota has a serious problems with some later cars corrosion protection. This is not acceptable and needs to be addressed to the head office. 

Why would there be a rust inhibitor on top of a primed and painted surface ?? When any inhibitor goes directly on the steel

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Why would there be a rust inhibitor on top of a primed and painted surface ?? When any inhibitor goes directly on the steel

Why you no risten 😉.  The fluid runs out of all the cavities on the slam panel and the back door.  I don’t believe it is inhibitor, I think it is the electrolyte dip after bare metal.   They roll the car through the electrolyte then stand it in its feet.  It’s not rust and it’s not water, it’s a stain with bubbles in it 👍

• Like 1

Here is my Hinge.

It is Mounted on what appears to be a waxy gasket.

Tel

IMG_0017.jpeg

• Like 2

Terry, you could be right.  The right hinge on mine is painted completely.  The one on the left has only a small part unpainted.  I will look more closely later.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:48 AM, Mark Borthwick said:

From attached pic you'll see there's some type of sealant ( looks like a weld when you zoom in ) around the bottom of the hinge plate.

IMG20220131150330.jpg

Is it possible this is a wax sealant, and it has softened in hot weather or with the heaters on, and then spread from the joint? I have noticed that minor fittings and partially hidden areas on some Toyotas are not very well finished.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruiserOAP said:

I have noticed that minor fittings and partially hidden areas on some Toyotas are not very well finished.

Due to Toyota's revised strategy to reduce costs in light of supply issues - see:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-embracing-small-flaws-supply-chain-pressures-bite-2021-12-07/

You can bet other manufacturer's are doing the same - or in some cases may have been standard practice for years. 

• Like 2

The insides of the sills are dripping with runny wax from the factory.  I’ll send my scope into that hinge cavity at weekend.

16563C1E-31DF-4269-8D87-2A9C162EA1C4.jpeg

F785261F-7436-4548-AECA-BC72ECDD30DC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, cruiserOAP said:

Is it possible this is a wax sealant, and it has softened in hot weather or with the heaters on, and then spread from the joint? I have noticed that minor fittings and partially hidden areas on some Toyotas are not very well finished.

Where the bolts are secures to the frame the paint will inevitably be stripped.  By spraying an inhibitor between hinge and body this could seal where the paint has been stripped. Possible?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

The insides of the sills are dripping with runny wax from the factory.  I’ll send my scope into that hinge cavity at weekend.

You have an endoscope too??? :eek: 

Are you secretly moonlighting for Q-branch or something?? :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links