Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brand new Yaris cross with rust on welds of boot hinges

Mark Borthwick

15 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Click on this image and look at the discoloration very close up i don't think its rust, it looks like a waxy sealer like wax oil under sealer  to me. 

rrrrrrre.thumb.JPG.a452d95038a8334482a86b0194f697de.JPG

No argument, but If you start reading again the posts from the beginning on page 2 there are pictures and even a video from the lady from Malta, then continue through all the pictures and you may realise we are talking about different things or the non rust look a like formation is only the beginning of the problem. Corrosion problem is real and all of the affected cars needs attention, the sooner the better. Perhaps the real issue will show up after few years and these second and third owners will see themselves in real trouble. 

• Like 1

It is very unfortunate Toyota picked a sealant that looks exactly like rust; If they'd e.g. used a purple or blue one I think these threads would be a lot shorter :laugh: 

• Like 4

On 2/6/2022 at 7:47 PM, TonyHSD said:

That’s unacceptable from any car manufacturer but Toyota., just no words to express. 🤭

I'm trying to find this evidence you are so intent on scaremongering about Tony and so far I’m failing.  I can’t even tell what we are looking at here.  

I’ve spent some time looking at this as promised.  I can’t access the stain in the boot because I’ve covered it in sound deadening and it won’t come off.  I have sent the scope in and the hinges are like new on the inside - THERE IS NO RUST.  I also looked closely at the stain from the outside and using regular panel wipe I wiped this terrible advanced corrosion that is so unacceptable off - thank you, now my hinges don’t have any corrosion inhibitor!  For goodness sake stop this hysteria.

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I'm trying to find this evidence you are so intent on scaremongering about Tony and so far I’m failing.  I can’t even tell what we are looking at here.  

I’ve spent some time looking at this as promised.  I can’t access the stain in the boot because I’ve covered it in sound deadening and it won’t come off.  I have sent the scope in and the hinges are like new on the inside - THERE IS NO RUST.  I also looked closely at the stain from the outside and using regular panel wipe I wiped this terrible advanced corrosion that is so unacceptable off - thank you, now my hinges don’t have any corrosion inhibitor!  For goodness sake stop this hysteria.

IMG_4885.JPG

IMG_4886.JPG

IMG_4887.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

Thanks for the pictures and effort. Appreciate it 👍 Here pictures from other members and it is clear that their cars does have rust issues. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9ad3b849f5501cb7ec59efabf121fbc0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d5b8522f3207cdc20ae2a69ecaa1f51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.51e9cfa4cef6937b2046a4933422e432.jpegimage.thumb.png.c8aa999c03bfa0888195f9b507f9012a.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.5121090de882102eb3b83f7f31e1bc60.jpeg

• Like 1

The above pictures are from the cars of 2 members (1 in Malta and 1 in the UK), so hardly a widespread issue.

Indeed, we aren’t talking about wide spread although there are reports from Poland too. We are talking about these cars above is it a rust or not? To me looks like it is. No arguments or offence. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks for the pictures and effort. Appreciate it 👍 Here pictures from other members and it is clear that their cars does have rust issues. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9ad3b849f5501cb7ec59efabf121fbc0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2d5b8522f3207cdc20ae2a69ecaa1f51.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.51e9cfa4cef6937b2046a4933422e432.jpegimage.thumb.png.c8aa999c03bfa0888195f9b507f9012a.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.5121090de882102eb3b83f7f31e1bc60.jpeg

The stain under the hinge is definitely not rust.  I admit the spot near the VIN No does look like rust but I’m not prepared to make the conclusion from the photo.  That car looks very much like it’s been painted.  

27 minutes ago, anchorman said:

The stain under the hinge is definitely not rust.  I admit the spot near the VIN No does look like rust but I’m not prepared to make the conclusion from the photo.  That car looks very much like it’s been painted.  

This looks like a scuff that has gone rusty rather than it just appearing.

Surely if this was a common issue there would be lots of threads about it in the many Toyota  forums as there are in the modern MG cars forums MG being well known for it now.

image.png.161bc26e881d77670e4e7da1cfe9f3a5.png

• Like 1

I forgot to mention, since I couldn’t get to see the boot floor I did crawl under.  There some sound deadening under there which is pleasing but the floor was pristine.  I also photographed the void between the rear boot wall and the bumper.  Again like new.  Looking around, the only rust I could find was where the steel exhaust hangers are welded to the stainless exhaust.  I’ll be taking the back bumper off a new one in a week or two so I’ll get better photos on that.

87E51196-AD5D-44D5-8FA5-263EB462361A.jpeg

3A146962-C351-430B-9082-A1F39E577804.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

as there are in the modern MG cars forums MG being well known for it now.

No surprises there considering where the parent company is based!

1 hour ago, olonas said:

No surprises there considering where the parent company is based!

Aye and they do surprisingly well in car reviews.  These journalists will spend time mauling the centre console around and poking sticks into the rear bumper styling like it matters, declare the car a revelation then no consideration of what the things are like to own.  Reliability and poor durability are worthy of mention in my opinion.  There’s a gal near me that has one of these Peugeot people movers that the media rave about.  It’s only a 2017n or 18 and the wiring at the back is completely rotten.  It should be better than that for a car of that age.  Toyota wiring is all internal until it gets behind the bumpers.

• Like 1

I’ve been out giving it the twice weekly clean and the side door hinges have been sprayed with the tea wax.....

IMG_4895.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

• Like 3

That is a thing that always annoys me about the automotive press; The other marques are good at giving a good first impression which the press are always totally fooled by, but they have no idea what they're like long term. I don't think any other manufacturer designs their cars to last as well as Toyota but they rarely ever seem to get credit for it.

It's so weird listening to other people talking about how they spent hundreds or thousands replacing throttle bodies, bushes, arms, bearings, wiring, modules, clock springs, hoses, etc. every service while I'm like, erm, I haven't really had to replace anything apart from the oil and some filters!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tesla model S with over 500k miles , ok but at what cost ?! Two batteries and one power train. 🫢 
There are tons of cars even here in uk with similar or even more miles and most of them holds a holder or two full with invoices of spares and repairs. 
When I worked at largest Prius fleet in London there were boards with orders of parts at the reception, anything you can imagine, but nothing for the Priuses been listed there except when has been accidental damage which we’re taken care of insurance approved garages. 
Now I am still driving my old Auris , here is my mileage from this morning, to date I had only changed brakes all around twice, wheel bearings one full set x4 and  rears one more time, timing chain tensioner and rear springs. Everything works on the car as day one and except the usual rust spots here and there there are no major issues. I am not sure how far it will go but I am happy to give her a chance. 

539A9442-2FB4-4A45-911F-4D12763EC7CA.jpeg

• Like 2

Ok. So if it is rust inhibitor, could someone present the proces of cleaning it, and showing results .... As far as I know warranty for laquer/painting is 3 years. Maybe Toyota service is vaiting (by saying "wait and see what will hapend" few posts ago), until warranty is end, and after this they will say, you didn't do nothing with that, so it is not under yor responsibility. I will be taking over mine in 1 month, and deffinetly will check a trunk space for rust inhibitor. Only to remindm, that I've checked trunk in demonstration car at dealers, and it had also "rust inhibitor". Seller told me, that he does not know what it is, maybe someone rented this car and made water flood or something else  (etc.). In my opinion the problem (if it is rust inhibitor) is at factory, during production process, or maybe after it, when something is melting at higher temperatures durging, for example, transportation to dealer. But definetly dealer should at least clean it out (rust inhibitor) or make a repair, if it is rust, before giving it to the client.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, anchorman said:

Aye and they do surprisingly well in car reviews.

I'm sure that I would be tempted to give glowing reviews if I were to be offered an all expenses paid "jolly" plus possibly other perks thrown in.

Not too happy by the use of an MG Badge, after buying the name, either. Gives the false impression of the cars being from an old British manufacturer. whether their cars were good or not. Morris Garages anyone?

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Two batteries

Don't get me started on the inconvenient truth about the batteries,Tony.

e.g. how, where and by whom some of their components are sourced. Cobalt mining in The Congo anyone? Lithium mining/sourcing, their manufacture and transportation etc.. Not that virtuous really.

And yes, I am guilty too, of owning devices with similar, but smaller, batteries.

I have say though, I've never owned a car displaying as shown in some pictures. Whether that is careless/over zealous application of corrosion inhibitor or rust.

17 minutes ago, Kedarem said:

Ok. So if it is rust inhibitor, could someone present the proces of cleaning it, and showing results .... As far as I know warranty for laquer/painting is 3 years. Maybe Toyota service is vaiting (by saying "wait and see what will hapend" few posts ago), until warranty is end, and after this they will say, you didn't do nothing with that, so it is not under yor responsibility. I will be taking over mine in 1 month, and deffinetly will check a trunk space for rust inhibitor. Only to remindm, that I've checked trunk in demonstration car at dealers, and it had also "rust inhibitor". Seller told me, that he does not know what it is, maybe someone rented this car and made water flood or something else  (etc.). In my opinion the problem (if it is rust inhibitor) is at factory, during production process, or maybe after it, when something is melting at higher temperatures durging, for example, transportation to dealer. But definetly dealer should at least clean it out (rust inhibitor) or make a repair, if it is rust, before giving it to the client.

I doubt it has melted nor would it in anything less than most normal climates but it is sprayed on as photographed above and there are photos showing you can wipe it off with panel wipe.  If you’re that worried, cancel your order and buy something else.  I’ve got one and I’m not at all worried.  

• Like 2

Honestly whatever is this it should not be there as I never seen that on any other Toyota or non Toyota cars and I have seen tons of cars old and new. 
If it’s a rust inhibitor is it not an acidic solution?  
The body goes through various baths with chemicals and electrolytes then washed and prepared for primer and top coat and lacquer. Somewhere within these processes something probably went wrong and some cars are rusting as a result. This my theory based on what I can see from pictures from other members with problematic cars that had developed rust spots. 
Here more information how all the things work from a first hand 👍

• Like 2

Could it be this dip and bake that is causing this as its baking it on before it has time to run off completely. (the video below starts at this process)

YCboot2.thumb.JPG.fddd5d0af795e92954f0e8339fd99340.JPG

• Like 1

I swear you say something someone doesn't like and they straight-up twist what is being said.

First, I'm not talking "the liquid". What is the bubbly appearance that looks oddly like you'd see with corrosion? THAT is what I'm troubled by.

Second, in this pic, there remains what appears to be flaky paint. Not cool.

Please, be objective. No amount of delusion will make this go away.

YCboot3.JPG.6bcef21d59dcf5bfa3d0771c9d4a

PAINT FLAKING OFF?

image.thumb.png.d13114741ee6e1932e4088a936fad413.png

image.thumb.png.8e33bb354ba3d6e5d476932026f9ec26.png

• Like 2

I’m fairly certain it is just crud which has stuck to the sticky residue. The two splodges on the right were the thickest and stickiest. My goal wasn’t to clean it off completely, just to show that it can be wiped off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I swear you say something someone doesn't like and they straight-up twist what is being said.

First, I'm not talking "the liquid". What is the bubbly appearance that looks oddly like you'd see with corrosion? THAT is what I'm troubled by.

PAINT FLAKING OFF?

You can’t tell off the photos what it is.  I’ll report back soon with some further information but in the meantime, don’t over react. As you say it “appears” flakey but I messed with mine before I covered it and was satisfied it was a stain but just to save you passing out from anxiety I’ll photograph my next check on someone else’s car.  I like how you’ve labelled the photo.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

PAINT FLAKING OFF?

This is the problem you say yourself "appears to be flaking"  it's isn't, who is deluded here? 

The Few who believe the Waxy Deposits are Rust will never except Toyota built cars automotively near perfect cars so proving they are wrong is pointless.

They are So wrong but why bother (?)

Tel

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links