Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Additional Sound proofing

Hardy888

Still a while until my car is built and I can't wait to get it. 2.0 TS.

I test drive it and noted the sound proofing wasn't amazing but it's about the same as my current car.

I've seen a few people comment that the sound proofing is poor.

Has anyone added extra sound proofing that has made an improvement at reasonable cost to these new Corollas?

This link isn't really answering your question, but these Czech bods do take a good photo of the stripped out interior.

Google translate will help, but you probably can work it out without.

https://www.ahifi.cz/montaze/?filter[]=76881&filter[]=76940&price_interval_from=2987&price_interval_to=257260&order=0&sorting=0

I'm sure that there are very reasonable noise reduction benefits to be had without going to their 'full-on' cover-everything technique.

Note that one of the Corollas isn't a hybrid, and in the inside of the door shown, it has one very small grey square of soundproofing evident.  The hybrid shown has two small squares.  So, twice as much!

I did have a look inside all the doors etc. of our Auris to see what effort had been made to quieten the car.  The sound insulation does not seem any more comprehensive in the new Corolla.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hardy888 said:

Still a while until my car is built and I can't wait to get it. 2.0 TS.

I test drive it and noted the sound proofing wasn't amazing but it's about the same as my current car.

I've seen a few people comment that the sound proofing is poor.

Has anyone added extra sound proofing that has made an improvement at reasonable cost to these new Corollas?

Get it and live with it before you un out to work on sound proofing - not saying it can't/wont be improved, but honestly I immediately found it a lot quieter than the Auris it replaced. There is some additional sound proofing over the 1.8 and mine has the acoustic glass which helps too.

• Like 2

Hmm thanks that sounds like good advice. I've got an auris now and it is liveable so if the corolla is better than that it should be ok. 

I think mine will come with the acoustic glass being the 2.0 but not sure. 

The engine will not be running all the time, and when it does it doesn’t run at high revs……. Sooooo car sounds from that area will be less and your ears will be picking up other sounds. Try living with it, probably acceptable.

I don't know, maybe I'm not that picky or maybe because my previous daily driver was an off-roader with near vertical windshield and off-road tires, I am absolutely happy with corolla. 

And also, please do not compare Corolla, to more expensive rides, of course if you're stepping down from a BMW, Merc or a Lexus lots of things will feel significantly ****tier. 

Having said that, I think I might do some sound deadening for the front doors because I'm not sure I like how JBL sounds

• Like 1

I had recently discovered something while driving an electric car on the motorway, at speeds over 55mph electric cars are equally noisy as standard cars or hybrids, therefore any unusual road / wind noises in hybrids or Evs can be picked by the driver/ passenger up to around 50mph, anything above that numbers it doesn’t matter if the car has an ice running, been off or it’s a full bev., the major noise sources are road, tyres and wind , these are greater than any eventual engine noises that can intrude into the cabin. 

0-50mph the major noise source is the car internal combustion engine 

50-~ mph it’s the wind, tyre + road 

I hope I express myself ok and you can understand me correctly 😉👍

• Like 2

I completely agree with you, Tony.  Only the tyre noise at speed onsome (not all) motorway surfaces is anywhere near intrusive and that's probably as much to do with the Falkens as the car itself.  Unfortunately,  it's hard to justify ditching a set of 4 virtually new tyres.  

• Like 3

I assume it's a weight+cost saving thing, as older Toyotas were much better; I remember the previous gen Corollas and the Avensis had much better noise damping than any of the current gen vehicles. It was one of the noticeable downgrades when they replaced the Corolla with the Auris way back when.

Toyota do seem like they're deliberately trying to be less luxurious and more bare-bones practicality, which I suspect is to avoid overlap with Lexus.

• Like 1

I've come from a GT 86 so the Corolla is like a bank vault to me 😆

• Haha 2

As you can see from that link posted by @Gerg  the boot space has very little sound deadening.

Our old Corolla was the same and we fitted extra acoustic pads in there and the difference was well worth the effort as we did not fully appreciate how boomy the noise was from there until we fitted the pads, sounded really plush. 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

As you can see from that link posted by @Gerg  the boot space has very little sound deadening.

Our old Corolla was the same and we fitted extra acoustic pads in there and the difference was well worth the effort as we did not fully appreciate how boomy the noise was from there until we fitted the pads, sounded really plush. 😀

It seems like the boot is a major noise entrance to the car cabin, I wonder why my old auris is a quieter one as there is a hybrid Battery in the boot, a spare tyre and a couple of boot covers with sound insulation on them, the negative is that there is almost no boot space , but it’s just fine for 2-3 shopping bags 

Well, in comparison with my previous van (Mercedes Citan Diesel), the Corolla is very quiet and refined when driving in town 😎 As Tony noted, on the motorway wind etc. becomes the dominant sound and there the Corolla is comparable to the Citan. The tyres matter too, of course. Interestingly, the cheaper trim with 16inch tyres came (in my case) with Continental Eco Contact 6, which are very good summer tyres. Although for the winter months I swapped them for Michelin Cross Climate 2s - also excellent tyres 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know, what are the differences between the sound insulation of 1.8 and 2.0? I know about the under the bonet insulation and some trims come with the acoustic glass. Is there anything else, that the 1.8 is missing?

7 minutes ago, clix said:

Does anybody know, what are the differences between the sound insulation of 1.8 and 2.0? I know about the under the bonet insulation and some trims come with the acoustic glass. Is there anything else, that the 1.8 is missing?

If the 2.0 comes with an under bonnet mat, I assume there is a part number so that can be easily fitted to a 1.8.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:37 PM, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Well, in comparison with my previous van (Mercedes Citan Diesel), the Corolla is very quiet and refined when driving in town 😎 As Tony noted, on the motorway wind etc. becomes the dominant sound and there the Corolla is comparable to the Citan. The tyres matter too, of course. Interestingly, the cheaper trim with 16inch tyres came (in my case) with Continental Eco Contact 6, which are very good summer tyres. Although for the winter months I swapped them for Michelin Cross Climate 2s - also excellent tyres 👍

One our Yaris I swapped the Eco Contact 6 tyres for Cross Climate 2s for year round use and it is noticeably quieter.  As the Cross Climate 2s are all season, are you going to keep them on or keep swapping?

I have a 1.8 excel and it has the under bonnet mat but no acoustic windscreen.

What about non visible differencies? Firewall, floor, roof and trunk boot floor insulation? Are they the same between the two versions?

I am looking for something that would make the most difference with my car and I figured, that if Toyota already does this in some cars, it migth be worth it.

It's a really hard to find out what cars have more sound proofing. I think all 2 litres have the acoustic windscreen but other than that I can't find sources about it 

2 hours ago, Kental said:

One our Yaris I swapped the Eco Contact 6 tyres for Cross Climate 2s for year round use and it is noticeably quieter.  As the Cross Climate 2s are all season, are you going to keep them on or keep swapping?

At the moment the plan is to swap them in April for summer tyres, as I do a lot of motorway driving. Even if not, I will still rotate them every six months to even out the wear. 

1 hour ago, Hardy888 said:

It's a really hard to find out what cars have more sound proofing. I think all 2 litres have the acoustic windscreen but other than that I can't find sources about it 

I think the windscreen is acoustic glass on both the 1.8 and 2.0. It is the front side windows that are also acoustic glass on the 2.0. 

I've been driving my 1.8 Hatchback (MY2021) for ~3500 kms now, and I'm thinking about applying sound insulation. It's hard to judge right now, because we've had bad rains and snowstorms here in Southern Finland, and the roads are very rough at the moment. I have 16" rims + studless winter tyres (Continental Viking Contact 7), which are supposedly one of the quietest winter tyres around. 

I find road noise a bit unpleasant above 70km/h. But I have no idea whether applying sound insulation would be worth it. I think the best bet is to add insulation to wheel arches, underfloor and doors. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sam Ekkert said:

I've been driving my 1.8 Hatchback (MY2021) for ~3500 kms now, and I'm thinking about applying sound insulation. It's hard to judge right now, because we've had bad rains and snowstorms here in Southern Finland, and the roads are very rough at the moment. I have 16" rims + studless winter tyres (Continental Viking Contact 7), which are supposedly one of the quietest winter tyres around. 

I find road noise a bit unpleasant above 70km/h. But I have no idea whether applying sound insulation would be worth it. I think the best bet is to add insulation to wheel arches, underfloor and doors. 

Wheel arches and doors will give the most sound insulation for sure. Doors however will be the most satisfying, not because it will reduce lots of noice, but because they will be very solid, sort of have that expensive BMW feel when you close it. Hard to explain but you'll know what I'm talking about if you do it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RzrAzr said:

Wheel arches and doors will give the most sound insulation for sure. Doors however will be the most satisfying, not because it will reduce lots of noice, but because they will be very solid, sort of have that expensive BMW feel when you close it. Hard to explain but you'll know what I'm talking about if you do it 

I absolutely know what you're talking about 🙂 The best door closing sound I had in a car was in an Opel (Vauxhall) Grandland X: super solid, respectful and reassuring thunk. Loved it. However, Corolla's doors aren't too bad either! It's surprising because the doors do sound hollow if you knock on them. 

Have you done any insulation in your Corolla?

• Like 1

I am thinking about some kind of sound deadening. I looked at quite a few builds from the ahifi.cz. The most apparent differences between corolla and pretty much all other cars from the same class or class above:

-minimal door deadening, corolla has very small deadening patch on the front doors and nothing on back doors. All other cars have more.

-plastic foil vapour barier on the back doors. I would guess, that this lets much more noise in, than mold injected abs plastic barrier. 

-deadening of boot area and rear wheel arches. Corolla has some kind of deadening material, but other cars have more. Even CHR whitch is built on the same platform, has quite a bit more in the boot area.

-lack of sound absorbtion material in the boot area. This is mostly visible on the higher end cars, but space between the bootliner, rear quarter panel and wheel arcehs is filed with some kind of sound absorbing foam or felt. I believe corolla has some, but there could be more, imo.

The whole floor is already covered with deadening material and felt carpet, so adding CLD there would not be effective.

Deadening the doors will also houpfuly improve sound from the OEM stereo on the highway. Now, the noisefloor is so high, and this stereo is barley able to owerpower it. Also, this is the first car in recent years, where I have to masively increase volume when I go to the highway (the setting to increase it automaticly is se to max) driving the speed limit 130kmh.

These points are where I am planing to start, when the weather warms up a bit. This will probably do nothing for the wind noise, but will houpfuly reduce road/tyre noise a bit. I am a bit worried, that there are more importand differences between other cars and corolla, like some kind of insulation of suspension from the chassis or something, that could be potential important noise sources.

As a refference, I am comparing it to other european hatchbacks from the same class, that I used, like skodas, citroens, fiats and vw.

In no other car have I ever experience the feeling of "stuffed ears" where you feel like you have to balance presure in the ear, while driving on the level land at 130kmh.

• Like 3