Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-sport Mpg

TUFOM

I get 19mpg when delivering mail. Is this normal or something wrong with my T sport?

Split from 17 year old topic into new topic.

Not too surprising if all your mileage is stop/start and town work.

I have not done a brim to brim on mine, but the average on the trip meter on mine is 32_33 mpg mainly short town runs and of course it is winter now.

Do you leave the engine running while delivering?

It might be worth filling the tank and have a long run somewhere , day out maybe 😀 and see if the average increases to 40 mpg or so to rule out a mechanical fault.

19 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Not too surprising if all your mileage is stop/start and town work.

I have not done a brim to brim on mine, but the average on the trip meter on mine is 32_33 mpg mainly short town runs and of course it is winter now.

Do you leave the engine running while delivering?

It might be worth filling the tank and have a long run somewhere , day out maybe 😀 and see if the average increases to 40 mpg or so to rule out a mechanical fault.

Depends on the weather if I leave it running or not, most days not. More than -15C or heavy snow always running, otherwise mostly turn off at every stop. My work commute is 2x5 miles travel but the work itself is pretty much start and stop. 19mpg is average from last few months.

From what you are saying about stop start use and cold weather conditions it sounds as though the engine may be working at its least efficient.

Are you in a year round cold climate ?

I think if I had the same use as you,then I would expect similar mpg.

Maybe try a brim to brim test with a longish run to calculate a true mpg figure, then you could be sure what was what before spending on diagnostics ,if it is otherwise running ok.

Good luck with it.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:51 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

From what you are saying about stop start use and cold weather conditions it sounds as though the engine may be working at its least efficient.

Are you in a year round cold climate ?

I think if I had the same use as you,then I would expect similar mpg.

Maybe try a brim to brim test with a longish run to calculate a true mpg figure, then you could be sure what was what before spending on diagnostics ,if it is otherwise running ok.

Good luck with it.

I did same job with aygo before and got 34mpg. Didn't expect so high difference. Gonna test soon for sure when I can find the time.

I live in Finland, so cold like 5 months a year.

Driving up hills when engine is cold makes fuel consumption terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed 160k miles old lambda and thermostat which had minor leak, operating temp was around 77C. I replaced it with winter thermostat 88C and lambda is Denso (made in Japan). I reset the mpg and made a little trip, amazing 42mpg so far, I suspect I'm gonna see quite different mpg even in work. Before reset reading was 19mpg.

That sounds as though you are getting somewhere now.

Is your car on the 160k miles or is it km ?

I only ask as you are outside the UK and wondered if your odometer read in KM and you had recalculated.

That's a good mileage if it is miles though, and your mpg is ok now on a run, about expected I'd say,be interesting to see what your stop start mpg is in cold climate.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found and did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 6:41 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

That sounds as though you are getting somewhere now.

Is your car on the 160k miles or is it km ?

I only ask as you are outside the UK and wondered if your odometer read in KM and you had recalculated.

That's a good mileage if it is miles though, and your mpg is ok now on a run, about expected I'd say,be interesting to see what your stop start mpg is in cold climate.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found and did.

257k km converted to 160k miles. So far start stop driving at work (cold weather) has resulted in 11.5L/100km = 20.45mpg. So minor improvement, highway mileage is excellent, as mentioned 42mpg (5.6L/100km).

Even though highway mileage is perfect I'm still bit wondering if everything is alright because exhaust still smells very bitter. Exhaust is white if anything maybe little excessive amounts but I assumed its the bigger engine doing it. Since I'm used to aygo 1.0 engine. Anyway doesn't burn oil nor loose coolant, no fault codes present. I've tried just to forget it but I'm reminded about it every stop at work, it smells very bad.

• Like 1

Seems a good engine to me, especially at that mileage.

I have noticed on cold start that there is a smell as you described , although this is with my car close to my front door.

And me forgetting to keep the drivers door window closed while warming the engine, blow back from the house I think.

I reckon you have a good engine with no problems , although bear in mind I have little mechanical knowledge, just experience of my Tsport.

Just run it and don't worry would be my advice.

Edited by Rhymes with Paris
Unfinished post
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

My final input on this: I just had MOT and everything is in perfect condition. All around praises from inspector. Interesting little car for sure, for the mileage this is kinda amazing. I'm used to fixing something every year. lol

• Haha 1

Giving myself a "doh" on this one.🤔

Went out on Saturday and filled up with petrol, had a thought about the average mpg readout on the trip computer.

I had assumed that the ability to reset the average was restricted to modern touch screen systems , and somehow the system on mine reset automatically somehow on refueling.

So played around a bit and found that scrolling to average and holding the trip button in until it bleeps ,reset the system.

Maybe all the other mk 1 owners knew this, but I didn't even after driving it for 2 years plus.

So on my 7 mile trip home the average was reading 42 mpg.

Still not done a brim to brim, so may be way out , so will let it calculate for this tankful and reset for the next.

So for any mk 1 owners like me who missed the technology lesson, this may clue you in.

• Like 1

thats pretty good Paul! On that kind of trip mine will give a maximum of 40mpg if i really try.  Invariably its around 34-37, but its always tempting to boot it every so often if only to hear the fruity exhaust note..

My old 1.3CDX used to give around 39 around town and 43 on the motorway - we had this from new and ensured it was properly maintained. 

• Like 1

Well it is early days yet Hasan,as I had not reset it since I bought it due to ignorance of the function.

I too like to give it a bit on the bypass if nothing else to get it hot enough to work properly.

And I have to admit a bit of fun leaving newer cars who pull out to overtake on the dual carriageway behind by an old hatchback.

But not sure if 40 mpg is reasonable to expect from 105 bhp engine pulling about 980 kg or not, technology moves on of course.

My use now is mostly short trips,less than 10 miles.

My friend who has a 2005 since new 1 litre has no idea what she is getting mpg wise .

Still happy buying petrol though even at these prices rather than spaffing 30 grand on something slower that I would probably use for the same amount of time.😁

• Like 1

You guys are like the most frugal T-Sport owners I know! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, Cyker said:

You guys are like the most frugal T-Sport owners I know! :laugh: 

Hello Cyker, Citroen ax 14 rd 1990.

Returning from Dover,fuel light came on M11, no petrol stations on there then, so reached A14 where I knew there were stations.

2am , station shut, so not much option but to carry on trickling along in 5th.

Made it back home and brimmed the tank next day,it took all but 2 litres of the tank capacity.

So calculated the point at which the fuel light came on according to handbook and remaining fuel, I reckon 90 mpg.

My methodology may have not been accurate, but it did regularly return 650-700 miles between fill ups on a 9.5 gallon tank.

Of course it was made of baco foil, plastic, and egg boxes and that made it very light.

Pre dpfs and all the other restrictions,a very efficient engine.

• Haha 1

Lets be honest here, if you're driving or own a Tsport it's not for fuel economy is it 🤪

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Lets be honest here, if you're driving or own a Tsport it's not for fuel economy is it 🤪

Of course flash, that is very true.

My usage of a car is very different now from when I was running that Citroen for work doing 25k miles a year,at that time I needed a new and economical car.

Now,low mileage mostly local journeys , reliability , comfort and handy in town are the priorities.

The Tsport is fine for all that, and a bit of fun too.😁

And thank you for all the good help and advice you have given me and others on here.🙂

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links