Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T Sport (Ph1) steering rack knocking?

Bhabbichuss

I'll preface this by saying that it's been booked in to get it looked at but looking for a second opinion/any personal experiences.

Over the winter my Yaris developed a knocking sound (drivers side front wheel area) when braking. I got it serviced and checked out by a garage who suggested replacing both front lower control arms which seemed to significantly dampen the knocking (could still feel it slightly through the pedal). They also informed me that the steering rack had a fair bit of play but it wouldn't be worth replacing at that time as they were unable to find any new so would have to send it off to be reconditioned.

Everything was fine for a few weeks until a couple days ago when the knocking sound returned again. Are the steering racks/control arms a common failure point on these cars? My front discs are fairly worn too so I'm wondering if that might be the actual cause of the noise... Also what would be a reasonable price for a new or reconditioned steering rack (with labour)?

I doubt it's the rack, is the play in the rack, the track rod ends or the rubbers, anti roll bar bushes and drop links are a known issue, upgrade the bushes to superpro poly

All MK1 T sports are Jap built, so you may have issues finding one off the shelf

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/yaris-echo-vios-limo-42478/ncp13-57198/ncp13r-agmvkw-927746/front-steering-gear-link-17945059

• Like 1

Would be useful with a more detailed description. You say you can hear it when breaking.

Is it a single knock? Or repeated? If repeated, does it change in proportion to vehicle speed?

If it's repeating, it could be your brake discs or it could be drive shafts.

If it's a single knock then more likely a joint (rod end: inner or outer)

3 hours ago, APS said:

Would be useful with a more detailed description. You say you can hear it when breaking.

Is it a single knock? Or repeated? If repeated, does it change in proportion to vehicle speed?

If it's repeating, it could be your brake discs or it could be drive shafts.

If it's a single knock then more likely a joint (rod end: inner or outer)

It's a repeating knock proportional to speed. It's only really noticeable through the brake pedal, I've had passengers and none of them have been able to hear or feel anything. The car drives fine and the braking isn't affected at all but I'm worried it's causing further damage somewhere. 

Make sure the wheel nuts are torqued to spec, check the cv's by driving slowly at full lock left and right, warped discs will cause pedal pulsation

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the very late response. Turns out it was just some worn front discs. No idea why the first garage was so focused in on a suspension/steering issue but won't be using them in future.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Bhabbichuss said:

Apologies for the very late response. Turns out it was just some worn front discs. No idea why the first garage was so focused in on a suspension/steering issue but won't be using them in future.

Sounds like the garage was really focused on making you pay for something not needed, seeing as occurred during braking, discs and pads would have the first thing to check.