Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Mk1 engine noise

Buzypea

Hi all

My daughter has just bought her first car, a 2011 Aygo Go! with 93,000 miles on the clock.

Seems a solid little car and drives well enough. I was just wondering how noisy the engines are supposed to be?  Sounds like you’re in a diesel with a noticeable grrrrrrrrr under acceleration that’s settles down once up to speed. The exhaust is not leaking. I appreciate this is only a 3 cylinder so was not expecting it to be ultra smooth. It’s just a lot louder than I expected it to be.  Is this normal?

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I remember the growl from the Citroen C1 we used to have. Loved it. Of course C1, Pug106 and Aygo have the same 3 cylinder engine. So probably it is normal, though we have not heard yours.

Yeah I think the Aygo does have a bit of a growl under heavier acceleration, even my new Mk2.

Worth adding some extra insulation under the boot carpet. I found some thick foam matting in homebase, and fitted some to the floor of the wheel well, and more to the boot floor. Recently picked up a 60 plate "Blue" as a run about for daughter to learn in.

Check the boot for leaks.  I've done the boot seals, rear light body seals and the stop light. Dry as a bone.  Next job, get the a/c regassed.

I checked the boot when we went to buy it as I read they are notorious for leaking. All appears completely dry.  Good tip about adding some sound insulation, thanks. I might look into doing this but I don’t think the noise actually bothers my daughter, only seems to bother me.

Just took it for a quick drive and got my daughter to record the engine noise. It’s very growly and tappety.  Is this how others Aygo’s sound? Or should we be worried?

Listened to the video nothing out of the ordinary there. It’s quieter than my wife’s 2015 1ltr petrol Yaris.

Just enjoy the growl.

Thanks all for the replies, it’s put my mind at ease that the noise is normal. I suppose I’m just used to driving larger quieter cars having never driven a 3 cylinder city car before. 

We can now enjoy the growl 😄

• Like 2

3 cylinder engines produce what's known as a 'half-order' (i.e. at a frequency that is half of the engine rpm) growl and the relative lack of sound proofing in these cars makes it more noticeable. It's a similar type of growl to that from 5 cylinder engines (like in the original Audi Quattro - note the capital Q).

I quite like this half-order sound which used to amuse/confuse my ex when I drove her Skoda Fabia which also had a 3 cylinder engine.

• Like 1

When I bought my first aygo the sales man on the test drive said can you hear the sporty roar from the engine but petroldave is right lack of soundproofing doesn't help

Every type of engine has it's own characteristics, you should try my wife's twin cylinder car if you think the Aygo is growly. Saying that, hers is not a noisy engine, you just have to look at the rev counter and notice how fast it's going when the growling starts. At low rpm, it's very quiet compared to a 4.

yep mine sounds terrible 

just keep an eye on the oil level ...they keep on running  

So the back box can get noisier as the baffles rot. Ours is a lot quieter with added insulation and a whole new exhaust.