Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Touring Sports - engine size

Steinsk

We are right now the owners of a Toyota Avensis that is threatening to kick the bucket any day🙂

We - me and the family - have more or less decided that a used Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid, 2019-2021, will be our next family car, but I am really confused about engine power. Looking through advertisements, I see the 2.0l presented with 72kW, 90KW or 135kW. 

When I read reviews of the car, though, I find no mention of different engine outputs, all reviews refer to 2.0l/135 kW.  Is there something wrong in the ads, or are there 3 different versions? If so - how big IS practically the difference between the versions?

I would say that 60-70% of our driving is in-town driving to shops and kindergartens, while 30% is highway driving with speeds up to 130 kmph. I do understand that 2.0l is both more powerful and thirstier, but with our usage, would it make sense to go for the 2.0 or the 1.8?

Thank you so much in advance for any answer!
Upcoming Corolla Owner

Hello Stein, welcome to Toyota Owners Club

in my Prius it has the same mechanics as the 1.8 Corolla.I have no problem cruising at uk limit of 70mph and a little more if I need to get out of a bunch on the MWay. I find 124bhp very adequate.

As far as I have seen there is only one version of the 2.0 hybrid and that is the 135kw. 

As always between two engines, test drives are essential but unless you have a bit of a heavy right foot or a racer side I'd say the 1.8 makes more sense for you. It is capable enough to get by on the motorway and makes far more sense in town where you drive the most. The 1.8 will cruise at 130kph with no problem but it might want to rev quite a lot if you want to get to that speed in a great hurry. Of course it uses quite a bit less fuel than the 2.0.

All that said I went for the 2.0. I drive like an old man 90% of the time but sometimes I just like to put my foot down and push it a bit so the 2.0 is worth it for the fun factor.

• Like 6

What you might be seeing with those different KW numbers is the internal combustion and electric motor numbers. Each has its own output then there is a combined system output for the 2.0 of 135kw. The combined ICE and electric motor isn't the sum of their individual outputs confusingly.

• Like 1

I would suggest to look for a new car deal. Might be surprised when you compare the prices 1-2 years old vs new one. This was the case with me when I was looking for an up to 3 years old Cotolla TS. Ended up paying a deposit for a new one. Waiting for the car to arrive is very hard, though 

• Like 2

I’ve had the older generation 1.8 (136bhp) in the Auris Hatch, and have done over 10,000 miles in the 2.0. I understand the newer 1.8 is more frugal, however loses out on a few horsepower. 

The 1.8 is ‘adequate’, and will never struggle to do a motorway cruise, or climb a steep hill. It’s also much more frugal than the 2.0. I expect 60mpg+ is readily available for the 1.8, whereas the 2.0 is generally in the mid to high 50s in the summer, and late 40s to mid 50s (mpg) in the winter. Temperature makes a huge difference on these hybrid powertrains. 

I love the 2.0 as it’s more refined & effortless than the 1.8, it’s also surprisingly punchy when you want to overtake. On occasion, it can do 62+mpg if the conditions are perfect.

The 2.0 takes away some of the ‘frustrations’ of the E-CVT transaxle too, as it doesn’t need to Rev as hard to make decent progress.  

its great that Toyota have these two units, as there is something for everyone 

• Like 5

I would echo what Graeme said, I got the 2.0 and I'm very happy with it. But 1.8 is better for many people, either because they do high mileage, aren't that fussed about performance or simply because it makes the purchase price a bit less. I would say 1.8 is the no-brainer if you do lots of miles. Other than that, they're both very good, so make your choice, enjoy it and don't look back! 😁

• Like 3

Thank you so much for all the input. I really appreciate it!! 🙂

It seems like the reason for the different kW I see in different ads is then that some ads list the maximum output, while some ads list the mathematically combined kW of the electric and petrol engine. For me, that looked like two completely different car editions, but obviously, just listing two totally different numbers.

3 hours ago, Steinsk said:

Thank you so much for all the input. I really appreciate it!! 🙂

It seems like the reason for the different kW I see in different ads is then that some ads list the maximum output, while some ads list the mathematically combined kW of the electric and petrol engine. For me, that looked like two completely different car editions, but obviously, just listing two totally different numbers.

Max combined power is about 180bhp, which will be the equivalent of the 135Kw that you mentioned. This is still a lot less than the theoretical combined output of both working at 100% simultaneously, but the system can't do that.

The 2.0 engine on its own can manage 150bhp (which isn't bad for an Atkinson cycle engine) and the motor is 80Kw / 107bhp, but it's used more as a torque boosting device to help the car pick up it's skirts rather than for sustained power delivery.

If you download the brochure / price list, the information is all in there.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hardy888 said:

All that said I went for the 2.0. I drive like an old man 90% of the time but sometimes I just like to put my foot down and push it a bit so the 2.0 is worth it for the fun factor.

Me too. I'm such an exemplary driver right now, but it is those few faster passes or trying to get away from traffic that makes the difference. 

8 hours ago, Niky said:

I would suggest to look for a new car deal. Might be surprised when you compare the prices 1-2 years old vs new one. This was the case with me when I was looking for an up to 3 years old Cotolla TS. Ended up paying a deposit for a new one. Waiting for the car to arrive is very hard, though 

Absolutely. Whilst waiting, I looked a few times at slightly used corollas, and there was usually about 1k eur difference for the car that already has 25k km on the odo and is a year old. The only benefit is that it was available and I had to wait 4 months 

So - we are now the proud owners of a 2021 1.8l Touring Sports. Will get it on Saturday and can't wait to start using it. Thanks again for all the assistance - for sure I'll have more questions in the future 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1