Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... current winter range and hybrid driver scores?

Nick72

So I'm ashamed to say I'm only scoring 52 out of 100. Not sure if I can ever improve. But still seeing EV ranges in the 40s with everything on max for a lot of the time. This is pretty impressive.

Poor folks on the Peugeot hybrid forum getting between about 12 miles and mid 20s. But some unable to use EV mode at all. Temperamental and super sensitive to speed and temperature on that car.

How are folks doing?

Screenshot_20220205-230755_MyT.jpg

• Like 1

This my current page and I guess locally I’m getting mid 40’s with heating seats, lights and climate control etc., happy enough with that. If I do a fast run on the motorway I’d expect very high 30’s or low 40’s.

4FDC3390-B29D-4B7E-BF25-22677351FE4F.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

This my current page and I guess locally I’m getting mid 40’s with heating seats, lights and climate control etc., happy enough with that. If I do a fast run on the motorway I’d expect very high 30’s or low 40’s.

4FDC3390-B29D-4B7E-BF25-22677351FE4F.jpeg

Looking good Ernie.

Think I need to lay off the accelerator pedal. 😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Poor folks on the Peugeot hybrid forum getting between about 12 miles and mid 20s. But some unable to use EV mode at all. Temperamental and super sensitive to speed and temperature on that car.

I still find it comical over there that people don't look on the forum BEFORE they go buy one. 

There's also a recall coming for certain E 208 & E 2008 for catching fire - shows how well Stellantis are doing with there electrification of products. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Looking good Ernie.

Think I need to lay off the accelerator pedal. 😂

I don’t drive slow but do tend be easy on the acceleration and have always tried to anticipate the need to brake, traffic lights etc. I still think your numbers look OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I still find it comical over there that people don't look on the forum BEFORE they go buy one. 

Toyota is the first user forum I joined.  I joined 6 days after I got the car.  If you are new to a marque and to forums why would you look?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Toyota is the first user forum I joined.  I joined 6 days after I got the car.  If you are new to a marque and to forums why would you look?

Its always wise to have a look around car owners forums first to see if there are any common hidden horror stories with a potential purchase. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

First automotive forum I joined, I was on audio forums for some time. I am not sure I would have joined had I not had so long to wait for delivery of my Yaris, but I was also intrigued by how the Toyota hybrid system worked, and I found a lot of good answers here.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Its always wise to have a look around car owners forums first to see if there are any common hidden horror stories with a potential purchase. 

I was not implying you should not, just that it may not occur to look.

I am a member of a Neighbourhood forum, it is amazing the questions asked when it seems blindingly obvious that Google will usually have an answer.  It is just that many of us still think to ask a friend and not think to look at other sources.

• Like 1

I am on a number of caravan forums and the number of people who buy a car and THEN ask if it is suitable for towing their caravan never ceases to amaze me. I don’t get how people who these days seem to spend so much of their lives on facetwit and beleive all sorts of cr8p cannot undertake research before buying. And a large proportion of those then say ‘ the salesman said it will tow my caravan….’  …. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always spend a massive amount of time doing my research driving around looking at cars and popping in to forums as a guest to get the feel for the how owners are feeling about their cars. Simple but very effective especially if the forum is proactive.

• Like 2

Ernie, how active are other vehicle forums.

we have had a few Skodas and last night I popped along to a Skoda forum….. dead as a dodo. On some of the sub forums, and not obscure one, someone recently posted they had visited to see if anything wrong with the model he was looking at….. the previous entry to him was over 3+ years ago. Either that means that model has no problems or no one reporting the. As quiet as a grave yard. TOC is alive and vibrant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I always spend a massive amount of time doing my research driving around looking at cars and popping in to forums as a guest to get the feel for the how owners are feeling about their cars. Simple but very effective especially if the forum is proactive.

Likewise to the extent of extremely frustrating SWMBO. Spent over 3 months last summer looking at a wide range of new/used options before placing the order for the RAV - first Toyota - normally VAG product buyers. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bcc212 said:

Briskoda is still very active. That’s where the masses are. 

Good forum, I have used it. Different membership to this, much more into modifications, DIY repairs and so on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, forkingabout said:

There's also a recall coming for certain E 208 & E 2008 for catching fire - shows how well Stellantis are doing with there electrification of products. 

To be fair most folk bought them when they came out so forum chatter was next to zero and the car reviews don't tend to cover what the car is really like to live with for a few months.

I nearly got a Polestar 2 but when the posts have titles on the forum like "What the f*** is next?" it puts you off 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

Me too Ernie. TVs, PCs, garden sheds, or whatever included.

Thing is though you can still get caught out. Case in point on the last car, 3008 hybrid4. Here is what I knew when I ordered it...

Peugeot not new to hybrids. Been doing it for well over a decade.

3008 ICE models got great reviews and winner of several car awards.

Website reviews of the hybrid4 from journalists were generally good. This included YouTube videos. It was a better offroad car than the R4P.

Saw the car in the flesh. Looked great inside and out.

Spec sheet was excellent. 

But, no forum chatter because the car was so new. I checked.

As a company car acquisition (goes back after 3 years) this seemed like enough information versus the risks.

Reality however was that the car did have several brilliant features I still miss (icockpit, 3D TomTom across two large screens, 50 50 power split in EV, fold flat front passenger seat, rear seat release buttons in the boot, etc.) but it did not live up to some of the important stuff on the spec sheet. In particular, the EV range. Which was exaggerated by Peugeot and was so highly optimised to speed and temperature that it was like a skyscraper in a desert. In other words, the only way of getting the claimed 37 miles was on a blue moon, at the equator, and it was the anniversary of the Pope's wedding to Macron,  and there was a 100kt tailwind. And in winter a really very good day meant 15 to 18 miles. But weirdly, this was a degradation issue insomuch as it wasnt like that to start but gradually sneaked in after about the first 500 to 1000 miles. And with that a range of related issues. Bad engineering and I felt some foul play too.

Moral of the story is that even if all the information says good it's only really the user reviews on the forums that actually matter. If the car is too new for that then my advice is don't get it. Even if it is a Toyota, Lexus, Merc, BMW.

I spent a lot of time on the US Toyota forum, Volvo forum, and more to work out what to get after I gave the Peugeot back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bcc212 said:

Briskoda is still very active. That’s where the masses are. 

+1, I used this forum for over 10 years, brilliant and very active.

• Like 1

Get your point Nick and I can honestly say the only reason the Pug wasn’t on my shortlist was due to its low towing limit. From a design aesthetic aspect the 3008/5008 is very good looking. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ernieb said:

Absolutely.  When I decided I wanted an old (so cheap) but reliable 4WD SUV I came here and did a diesel v petrol assessment.  Didn't actually find many people bed-mouthing their D4Ds, but it was obvious petrol was the way to go.  Very pleased with my 102,000 mile petrol RAV4.

• Like 2

I have a range of 42 miles when fully charged, doesn't seem to change if it's cold or very cold, I might have to invest in less heavy right shoe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CBphev said:

I have a range of 42 miles when fully charged, doesn't seem to change if it's cold or very cold, I might have to invest in less heavy right shoe!

Still, a good range.

Getting about 51 miles. My wife kicks my ***** on the driving score. Clearly one of us is having more fun when we drive. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When some 14 years ago my Peugeot 406 broke down again, I scrapped it after only ~180.000 Kms.

Now carless, I went on a mission to find a really reliable car with low operational cost. Having owned Renault, VW's, BMW's, Volvo and Mercedes etc. I actually had little hope to accomplish such a mission. Avoiding a couple of brands I knew a reputation from anyway, I came across the Toyota marque and browsed the Avensis forum. Based on what I saw there, I ordered a T27 Avensis petrol. The Avensis was absolutely flawless during the 10 years I owned it, when it was replaced by the present RAV4.5.
Best cars ... sofar!

• Like 1

I had a rare day in the office which entails a 70 mile round trip. The journey to the office is 40 miles mostly motorway. The return is 30 miles cross country A roads (It simply works best that way). Driving at a steady 60mph on the m/way and keeping up with the traffic on the return (40-50mph) I travelled 50 miles from a full charge before running out of Battery power. That is with heating at 22 and radio on. Quite happy with that! 

• Like 2