Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV... current winter range and hybrid driver scores?

Nick72

3 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I had a rare day in the office which entails a 70 mile round trip. The journey to the office is 40 miles mostly motorway. The return is 30 miles cross country A roads (It simply works best that way). Driving at a steady 60mph on the m/way and keeping up with the traffic on the return (40-50mph) I travelled 50 miles from a full charge before running out of battery power. That is with heating at 22 and radio on. Quite happy with that! 

Hi Adrian, outstanding.

What were the external temperatures like? Windy or not?

12-14C, quite windy, mixture of tail and cross wind going, headwind on return. I did tailgate some of the time and I forgot I had accidentally left the heated seat on. 

• Like 2

My son in law always tailgated (let the vehicle in front punch a hole in the air for him) - I'm sure much more than your occasional tailgating. Cost him more in brakes and paint chips (bonnet a mess) than anything he ever saved in fuel. Not to mention the constant tension being close to the next vehicle.

I hang back and go with the flow - much more relaxing - and anticipate traffic flow.

But whatever works - we are all different.

8 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

My son in law always tailgated (let the vehicle in front punch a hole in the air for him) - I'm sure much more than your occasional tailgating. Cost him more in brakes and paint chips (bonnet a mess) than anything he ever saved in fuel. Not to mention the constant tension being close to the next vehicle.

I hang back and go with the flow - much more relaxing - and anticipate traffic flow.

But whatever works - we are all different.

I'm with you, but also find if I'm the lead car and someone is stuck to my bumper a real pain (in the BTM literally)

• Like 1

Tailgating an HGV requires a lot of concentration and also quickly gets boring. But it’s also nice to get a tow in the slipstream now and again. Tend to do it more when into a strong headwind or when towing the caravan simply because the speed limit with the ‘van on the back is more or less same as HGV’s. 

9 hours ago, Lawnmowerman said:

My son in law always tailgated (let the vehicle in front punch a hole in the air for him)

I do so hate that. I leave plenty of space between me and the car ahead. When I was younger and crazier, I would dab the brakes to get tailgaters to back off. I don’t do that anymore, I have yet to decide on a new tactic, but I pull over to let them pass when it’s convenient to me.

I am talking about tailgating HGV’s only and I don’t mean that close I am 2 foot from the back of the truck either. There are few airflow benefits from tailgating a car unless you are tied to the bumper. I don’t like it done to me. 

• Like 1

Tailgating is a very dangerous thing to do. Don’t see why it’s even being discussed as a positive thing.  Could well be considered as inconsiderate driving/dangerous driving.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Tailgating is a very dangerous thing to do. Don’t see why it’s even being discussed as a positive thing.  Could well be considered as inconsiderate driving/dangerous driving.

….and intimidating, a good thing if you have a rear view dash camera recoding the behaviour.

• Like 1

Ok, I will say three hail Mary’s and take cold showers to absolve me of my tailgating sins. Come on, Let’s have some context here guys! 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

This just happened to drop on my iPad this afternoon.

Pure coincidence.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1563613/driving-law-changes-rules-tailgating-uk

yeah, and it's not just UK roads, it's the world over!

• Like 1

Top tip - If you're being tailgated, just activate your washer jets - The over-spray splattering their windscreen makes them back off pretty sharpish in my experience! :tongue: :laugh: 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links