Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine oil

Mark Richardson

What Engine oil do I use for my  Toyota Auris 1.6  Petrol 63 Plate  With 90k  Being told to use 5/30 and 0/20

I always use for my 2008 Auris 5w30 Toyota fuel economy engine oil and mann filter. I change them every 9000 miles or 2 years and no problem so far. Between changes, the engine eats 300 ml of oil, no need to top up. 

0w20 is to thin , your engine will eat some, it can be used successfully winter time and 5w30 summer time, but you are not wrong either if you use 5w30 for all the time.

The wife’s 2010 Auris hybrid has a 1.8 petrol engine and the recommended oil for that is 0w-20. I mention this because yours may not be 0w-20 but someone recommended it to you knowing a 1.8 hybrid does and think all engines are the same. To be sure, why not ask Toyota or just wait for other views. I not saying tavy is wrong, but the more views you get the more certain you can be. This time on a Sunday morning the forum will, and is quite. It is a very active forum, so just wait.     
Whatever the grade make sure it meets Toyota specification in other respects, not all oils are the same, then buy quality oils, not cheaper ones, and the same with oil filters, mann filters tavy mentioned are good, so are Blueprint, and of course genuine TOYOTA branded filters.        
Don’t forget to change engine air filter, and if fitted the cabin filter (they can be easily forgot).

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, tavy said:

Χρησιμοποιώ πάντα για το 2008 Auris 5w30 Toyota λιπαντικό κινητήρα οικονομίας καυσίμου και το φίλτρο Mann. Τα αλλάζω κάθε 9000 μίλια ή 2 χρόνια και κανένα πρόβλημα μέχρι στιγμής. Μεταξύ των αλλαγών, ο κινητήρας τρώει 300 ml λάδι, δεν χρειάζεται να συμπληρώσετε. 

Το 0w20 είναι να αραιώσει, ο κινητήρας σας θα φάει λίγο, μπορεί να χρησιμοποιηθεί με επιτυχία τη χειμερινή ώρα και 5w30 τη θερινή ώρα, αλλά δεν έχετε άδικο αν χρησιμοποιείτε συνεχώς 5w30.

good morning The 300ml that burns and you do not fill them from change to change, where does the oil receiver reach? Thanks

I use 5W30 since it gives better lubrication, but at the cost of a bit worse mpg (1-2%).

But i do this since my car is 1st gen, and has around 120k miles. In your case i'd still go with 5W30.

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

best to stick to 0w20 as this is the oil your car has came out of the factory. You can also use thicker oil grade like 5w30 but this will not provide better lubricating to the moving parts or be any other benefit like less oil consumption if there are any, even quite opposite. I use exclusively Petronas 0w20 since 2016 in hybrid 1.8 which is similar engine to yours 1.6, covered over 140000 miles with that oil and regular changes every 10k miles, the oil is good and the price is good. I use oem Toyota oil filter and highly recommend it , but you can use other good brands as mentioned, mann, Bosch, Mahle, Blueprint, blueprints for air and pollen filter are unrivalled for value for money + quality 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Lexus-Oil-Filter-04152-YZZA6-OE-Petrol-New-Original-/264482754850?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Oil-Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W20-10-Litres-FREE-GIFT-/323898235244?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I personally don’t like Toyota own 5w30 oil as it’s semi synthetic, not of the best one on the market for the it’s price and also not the best performance. I know from personal experience., but that’s only my opinion to share , not necessarily be true. 
Regards  👍

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

best to stick to 0w20 as this is the oil your car has came out of the factory. You can also use thicker oil grade like 5w30 but this will not provide better lubricating to the moving parts or be any other benefit like less oil consumption if there are any, even quite opposite. I use exclusively Petronas 0w20 since 2016 in hybrid 1.8 which is similar engine to yours 1.6, covered over 140000 miles with that oil and regular changes every 10k miles, the oil is good and the price is good. I use oem Toyota oil filter and highly recommend it , but you can use other good brands as mentioned, Mann, Bosch, Mahle, Blueprint, blueprints for air and pollen filter are unrivalled for value for money + quality 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Lexus-Oil-Filter-04152-YZZA6-OE-Petrol-New-Original-/264482754850?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Engine-Oil-Petronas-Syntium-7000-0W20-10-Litres-FREE-GIFT-/323898235244?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I personally don’t like Toyota own 5w30 oil as it’s semi synthetic, not of the best one on the market for the it’s price and also not the best performance. I know from personal experience., but that’s only my opinion to share , not necessarily be true. 
Regards  👍

Thank you but my is not hybrid  Does that make a difference

TBH I don't think it matters as long as your handbook says you can use both. What's more important in my eyes is that the changes are regular. If doing 10k and above every year then I personally would prefer a full synthetic, whereas if it's low annual mileage then I would be content with a cheaper semi-synthetic, but still make sure it's changed every year without fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Richardson said:

Thank you but my is not hybrid  Does that make a difference

No, engine is very similar constructively to the hybrid one, no electric motors though. Check your oil filler cap it might well say what oil to use. Using a thicker oil grade to reduce oil consumption or provide better lubricating is simply a myth or nick named same as warped brake discs for example. 👍

48720B29-3FC4-4EDE-BA51-FA39142A58C6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

No, engine is very similar constructively to the hybrid one, no electric motors though. Check your oil filler cap it might well say what oil to use. Using a thicker oil grade to reduce oil consumption or provide better lubricating is simply a myth or nick named same as warped brake discs for example. 👍

Tony, I think one of the reasons the Hybrid needs thin oil is the way the engine is used. I see mine cutting out within 5 minutes of setting off and even before the water is fully up to temp, so I know very well that the oil hasn't warmed up much. A standard petrol car will usually only have to endure one cold start per journey.

15 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

Tony, I think one of the reasons the Hybrid needs thin oil is the way the engine is used. I see mine cutting out within 5 minutes of setting off and even before the water is fully up to temp, so I know very well that the oil hasn't warmed up much. A standard petrol car will usually only have to endure one cold start per journey.

Yes, indeed, however the thinner oils does provide a good lubricating properties even at high temperatures and continues engine working. If you drive your hybrid on the motorway is similar to non hybrid car, also these cars are designed for 0w20, best to stick with 0w20 as it’s a full synthetic, has better flow, better cooling , better lubricating and better withstand extreme conditions, less oxidation and less carbon buildup, less risk of oil rings get stuck, actually I believe that using 5w30 instead of 0w20 is one of the common reasons along with infrequent oil changes and short town trips for having high oil consumption. I personally tested Petronas 0w20 in extreme temperatures driving my hybrid across Europe in 2017, 39-40c° during a heat wave I was driving 10hrs daily fully loaded car on German autobahn at speeds often higher than 70mph, covered 6000 miles in 3 weeks time with 0 oil consumption or any engine issues. In Dubai or California  Toyota owners still drive their cars with 0w20 if this is specified by the manufacturer. 👍

• Like 2

I think the 0W20 was developed for hybrid cars. Due to frequent starts, emission standards and consumption. For 1.6 engines with a range of over 100,000 km, the 5w30 is probably more suitable.I put a 5W30 Motul EFE in my car. It is an oil with greater lubricity. The engine runs quieter.

• Like 1

Since the introduction of the Optimal Drive engines in the Auris in 2009, Toyota's preferred oil for the petrol versions (1.33, 1.6,etc) is 0W-20.

Your owners manual will say that 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced by 0W-20 at the next oil change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Since I bought my car in Jan 2018, I have used 0w20 oil which is the same brand as Tony’s.  I have a 2013 1.6 petrol model.  I have done 30,000 miles.  I haven’t had any issues.

• Like 2

When I got my car, I looked at the service receipts, the garage used 5w30 C3, since after the warranty. I asked Toyota dealer, they told me its was the wrong one and it should be 5w30 C2 😂.  (I thought C2 and C3 was for diesels?)

So sometimes best not to ask the dealers, ask a forum instead.

I've changed it to 0w20 and will stick to that as the manual calls for 0w20.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roks said:

When I got my car, I looked at the service receipts, the garage used 5w30 C3, since after the warranty. I asked Toyota dealer, they told me its was the wrong one and it should be 5w30 C2 😂.  (I thought C2 and C3 was for diesels?)

So sometimes best not to ask the dealers, ask a forum instead.

I've changed it to 0w20 and will stick to that as the manual calls for 0w20.

The petrol Fiat that my wife drives requires an oil that meets a particular specification called Fiat 9.5555-S2 (kudos to Fiat for the simple nomenclature). Most oils that bear this specification are, in fact, diesel oils with 5w40 viscosity. An engine oil designed with diesel in mind just means it has a high detergent content, it doesn't mean it should only be used in a diesel engine.

I think C2 is just a lower friction version of C3. You can buy 5w30 oil that meets both standards at once, so there can't be a massive difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1