Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Thinking about cancelling order.


Recommended Posts

I can't stop being anxious about this. I had a Cat Convertor stolen from an 09 Mitsubishi Colt last year and it was not a pleasant experience to go through.

I understand I can install deterrents, which is something I will do. But at the moment I am seriously debating whether I should cancel my Carolla 1.8 Hybrid order.

I understand that all cars with a CC are at risk of getting it stolen. However I was under the impression that it was a lot of the older models being targeted.

The rep at the dealership also said the CCs are now installed higher up in the newer Corolla, making them much harder to steal.

Now there are reports coming in that 2021 Corolla models are also being targetted and their CCs are still very very easy to remove.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9765617/Brazen-thugs-armed-baseball-bats-steal-cars-catalytic-converter-middle-day.html

So, now not only do I feel anxious about it happening again.. I also feel angry for being lied to. 

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and speak to the rep, I want the truth to what Toyota have really done to reduce CC theft. If it turns out they have not placed the CC anywhere else to prevent theft, I want them to install a Cat lock for free or I'll be very tempted to cancel my order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


There are posts on the forum saying that the cat is indeed higher up on the Corolla but it's not something I know about personally.

 

Incidentally, the car in that news article seems to have been mislabelled as a Corolla. I'm pretty sure it's an older Auris in fact (because I have one and it looks like mine).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hardy888 said:

There are posts on the forum saying that the cat is indeed higher up on the corolla but it's not something I know about personally.

 

Incidentally, the car in that news article seems to have been mislabelled as a corolla. I'm pretty sure it's an older auris in fact (because I have one and it looks like mine).

You're right! It is the Auris. My bad for not spotting that! 

Has anyone got a 2021/2022 Corolla and able to physically check and compare where the CC is installed?

This is calmed my nerves a little and saved me some embarrassment at the dealers haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reassuring :

Google CC theft.  This from the Express 

"almost any modern car can be targeted by thieves, Toyota Prius and Honda Jazz owners should be especially vigilant." 

You say you had one stolen before.  You will be aware then of your personal risk profile. Regardless of model you simply need to mimize that risk.  

Perhaps visit your dealer, make your concerns known and that you are considering cancellation - ask if they could throw a Catlock in with the sale. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Perry313 said:

I can't stop being anxious about this. I had a Cat Convertor stolen from an 09 Mitsubishi Colt last year and it was not a pleasant experience to go through.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9765617/Brazen-thugs-armed-baseball-bats-steal-cars-catalytic-converter-middle-day.html

I understand I can install deterrents, which is something I will do. But at the moment I am seriously debating whether I should cancel my Carolla 1.8 Hybrid order.

I understand that all cars with a CC are at risk of getting it stolen. However I was under the impression that it was a lot of the older models being targeted.

The rep at the dealership also said the CCs are now installed higher up in the newer Corolla, making them much harder to steal.

Now there are reports coming in that 2021 Corolla models are also being targetted and their CCs are still very very easy to remove.

So, now not only do I feel anxious about it happening again.. I also feel angry for being lied to. 

I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and speak to the rep, I want the truth to what Toyota have really done to reduce CC theft. If it turns out they have not placed the CC anywhere else to prevent theft, I want them to install a Cat lock for free or I'll be very tempted to cancel my order.

Why ask the Salesperson when you can email Toyota.co.uk Customer Services ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Why ask the Sales

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, that is an Auris in the news report.

Go to the dealer, ask can you see where the cat is on the type of Corolla you buying, presume the GR Sport is a 2 litre, so look at a 2 litre Corolla.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Catlover said:

presume the GR Sport is a 2 litre, so look at a 2 litre Corolla.

GR Sport can be had with either 1.8 or 2 litre engines.

GR Sport is basically just a sporty looking trim option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, the cat’s  on Corolla 2019-> onwards are placed close to the engine and are indeed part of the exhaust manifold, more difficult to cut and take away, however there is a second cat just under the car similar to Auris and Prius from 2010 and so thieves still cutting those, it may not worth to them anything but the problem they will create to the car owners is exactly the same as if any of the exhaust pipes and cats been cut off the car the entire exhaust needs to be replaced no matter if the cat is still attached to the engine.! In general there is decline in cat thefts, plus Toyota now adds on a thicker metal plate on the opening under the cats but it is not as big as should be and it is attached with 4 bolts, easily undo. Also newer Toyota comes without hybrid badges. Anyway, there is always a risk of getting your cat stolen if you are an owner of Toyota hybrid, however it is not as bad as before, and newer cars are less affected. We had a case reported in the forum on brand new Toyota Corolla hybrid second cat stolen , I have picture from the posts but finding a posts here is difficult, if you would like to research you may find the post and read through. 👍 Toyota hybrids are the best choice for cars with ice currently and cat thefts should not stop any new customers of getting one. 
Regards 

B1AD7FE6-6BF3-42B4-9EAF-83F6AD798320.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both engines are exactly the same exhaust set ups. Either of these can be targeted for the second cat as the picture shows above, getting 2.0 it’s not an insurance against thefts. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The report says it's a Corolla but the accompanying video is clearly of an older Auris. I would be wary of anything reported by that particular publication, their mission is solely to get OAPs stirred up with some kind of fear or indignation.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

The report says it's a Corolla but the accompanying video is clearly of an older Auris. I would be wary of anything reported by that particular publication, their mission is solely to get OAPs stirred up with some kind of fear or indignation.

I wanted to say something like that, but decided that that is was maybe not TOC PC.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I wanted to say something like that, but decided that that is was maybe not TOC PC.

Rest assured, I never set out to insult or disrespect anyone, but I'm not one for PC. I try to speak plainly and honestly, or else not at all. Quite often, the latter would have been the wiser choice! 😊

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody wants to buy a new car and then find themselves anxious when they have to leave it somewhere, worrying about where they park it. 

Toyota fit a product from 'Catloc' and looking at their website it appears there is one for the 2019-2021 Corolla, not sure if there's any difference with the latest 2022 model year. I would check with the dealer and get them to confirm if there is a Catlock available for that variant of the Corolla and if there is, then haggle with the dealer to get it fitted as part of your deal. 

https://catloc.co.uk/product/toyota-corolla/

If there's Catlocs being sold for the 2021 Corolla then it looks like there can be an issue. Given that we're talking about £250 for a Catloc on a new Corolla costing around £25,000, so 1% of the purchase price, personally I'd have one just for the reassurance. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, the cat’s  on Corolla 2019-> onwards are placed close to the engine and are indeed part of the exhaust manifold, more difficult to cut and take away, however there is a second cat just under the car similar to Auris and Prius from 2010 and so thieves still cutting those, it may not worth to them anything but the problem they will create to the car owners is exactly the same as if any of the exhaust pipes and cats been cut off the car the entire exhaust needs to be replaced no matter if the cat is still attached to the engine.! In general there is decline in cat thefts, plus Toyota now adds on a thicker metal plate on the opening under the cats but it is not as big as should be and it is attached with 4 bolts, easily undo. Also newer Toyota comes without hybrid badges. Anyway, there is always a risk of getting your cat stolen if you are an owner of Toyota hybrid, however it is not as bad as before, and newer cars are less affected. We had a case reported in the forum on brand new Toyota Corolla hybrid second cat stolen , I have picture from the posts but finding a posts here is difficult, if you would like to research you may find the post and read through. 👍 Toyota hybrids are the best choice for cars with ice currently and cat thefts should not stop any new customers of getting one. 
Regards 

B1AD7FE6-6BF3-42B4-9EAF-83F6AD798320.jpeg

I remember that post

didnt they end up taking the silencer by mistake

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have similar concerns. But try and soothe my anxiety by looking at the probabilities of it actually happening. Our drive is covered by CCTV (I know this still doesn’t stop them). We also have a Garage and when that’s cleared one car can be parked in there. I work away so only one car is likely to be on the drive at any one time. Although mine will be on the commuting house’s drive so still vulnerable! And we live at the back of a development so you don’t just “pass by” the house by chance. I have a Corolla GR sport on order (due June) and my missus has a Rav 4 HEV on order (due sept/oct). Both are leased cars but I’m still tempted to pay the £250 to a dealer if they can fit a Catlock as a further deterrent. If they’re even worth it!? Failing that insurance would have to be used if the worst happens. That’s what’s it’s there for. Plus if our cars got targeted, it’s the last time we’d ever own a Toyota. So it’s in Toyotas interest to try and mitigate it as much as they can. How Toyota Finance feel about it though I haven’t asked yet! It’s their car at the end of the day. 
 

Failing all of that, if someone was brazen enough to try and steal one whilst we were indoors, they’d have a very up close and personal experience with our 50kg Alsatian. And he doesn’t like strangers  😈

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

I remember that post

didnt they end up taking the silencer by mistake

No, it’s the second cat right after the main catalytic converter, this second one is more like particulate filter (ppf) but the thing is that whatever they cut the replacement is the entire unit that include exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, second cat and middle silencer, around £1500 bill., the rear silencer its a separate part and doesn’t need replacement but anything on the front comes as one peace and obviously the higher cost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Typical of the Daily Fail - the car in the video is an Auris. Two things you need to consider -

1) as has been already said, the cat on the Corolla is higher up and less accessible, and,

2) Toyota have reduced the percentage of precious metals in their later design cats (which includes the Corolla) and this makes them less attractive to thieves.

Shouldn't bother asking sales re the cat on the Corolla - you will get a more honest answer from service or parts. Sales people, whatever the marque, aren't renowned for either keeping their product knowledge up to date, or being too accurate on detail.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Typical of the Daily Fail - the car in the video is an Auris. Two things you need to consider -

1) as has been already said, the cat on the Corolla is higher up and less accessible, and,

2) Toyota have reduced the percentage of precious metals in their later design cats (which includes the Corolla) and this makes them less attractive to thieves.

Shouldn't bother asking sales re the cat on the Corolla - you will get a more honest answer from service or parts. Sales people, whatever the marque, aren't renowned for either keeping their product knowledge up to date, or being too accurate on detail.

 

Sounds like you’re talking from experience! 🤣😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Southern Mike said:

Sounds like you’re talking from experience!

As regards sales people, yes. We've had 22 new cars, and frequently find I know more about the car specs, etc than the sales person.

Back in 91 when we owned Nissans, a salesperson approached me re a new car, and I said I would wait for the brand new 16v Sunny arriving in a few months. No, he said, we get to know before customers what models are due to come out and when. When I next popped into the showroom, he came across to apologise having being informed of the new model arriving. 

Sales people often trip up on specification detail.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FB, viz Corolla Cross, boy wonder said not this year, though possibly to distract me from his sales pitch. He did seem fairly well informed on specs though. 

However many years ago, at a new Japanese franchise in the far north (anything was new in those days), the salesman proudly told me the car was made from high tensile steel.  "What's that do then?". Silence. 

Like the solar hot water salesman. Great on patter but could not explain the frequency change between incident radiation and black body radiation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your responses! Typical fail from the article and from myself, for not spotting it haha. My mind went 100mph as soon as I read its title.

But I'm pleased to hear some of your responses, it has alleviated my worries.

I know it's not technically mine, as it's on NHS salary sacrifice scheme.. But to me, It's my very first proper car. I've never owned a car this expensive before. I absolutely loved driving it.  I just hope it brings me more pleasure than stress from scum bags targeting the car.

It's a shame that although the CC in the new Corolla is higher up and less accessible. The thief's probably don't know that and still cause a ridiculous amount of damage for nothing. At the end of the day, it can take them less than a minute to remove. 

I'm going to ring the dealers tomorrow and ask for a cataloc to be installed anyways. Thanks again.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As regards sales people, yes. We've had 22 new cars, and frequently find I know more about the car specs, etc than the sales person.

Back in 91 when we owned Nissans, a salesperson approached me re a new car, and I said I would wait for the brand new 16v Sunny arriving in a few months. No, he said, we get to know before customers what models are due to come out and when. When I next popped into the showroom, he came across to apologise having being informed of the new model arriving. 

Sales people often trip up on specification detail.

Lol

my dealer/salesperson was impressed that I knew more about available colours specs trim levels and arrival dates than her

so I introduced her to the forum

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, Red_Corolla said:

The report says it's a Corolla but the accompanying video is clearly of an older Auris. I would be wary of anything reported by that particular publication, their mission is solely to get OAPs stirred up with some kind of fear or indignation.

Both of the two worst publications quoted in this thread have been read as sources.  Come on, please do better research and please don't give them clicks.   Their sole mission is to poison the mind.

 

 

To the OP keep your order open, you're in for a good purchase.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share





×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership