Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replace catalytic converter

Chris-M

I have a 2009 1.0 IQ and have been experiencing flat spots, which I believe are being caused by the blocked pipe on the catalytic converter. I have purchased a replacement but am now looking to see how I can access the current one to remove it. (There is no way Toyota would have replaced it free of charge as the IQ has no dealer service history).

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I have seen videos of changing the cat on an Aygo, but the radiator layout is different and removing the bumper provides less access.

Does the radiator need to be removed to provide sufficient access - and if so does anyone have step by step guide for this?

All help greatly appreciated

yep the rad has to come out, un bolt the exhaust front pipe (manifold to middle section), remove the 02 sensors, undo the lower stay and then the manifold

i suggest before to undo the manifold you at least crack the heat shield(s) bolts loose, if not remove them

A bad EGR or VVTi soleniod can cause flat spot issues

what's the mileage and the last time it had a service ? When were the plugs last changed ? If they are standard plugs and worn or the gap too large, the engine will fall flat on its face under load

Thanks flash22.

IQ is a 2009 model and just serviced. Mileage is 75000 and plugs changed at 68,000 with standard plugs with correct gaps. Just cleaned MAF sensor and PCV valve too.

I'm left with a flat spot as accelerate at approx 2000rpm

I'll try changing the cat and see what difference this makes. If I need to clean the EGR valve, is this possible without disassembling the inlet manifold?

3 hours ago, Chris-M said:

Thanks flash22.

IQ is a 2009 model and just serviced. Mileage is 75000 and plugs changed at 68,000 with standard plugs with correct gaps. Just cleaned MAF sensor and PCV valve too.

I'm left with a flat spot as accelerate at approx 2000rpm

I'll try changing the cat and see what difference this makes. If I need to clean the EGR valve, is this possible without disassembling the inlet manifold?

Hi Chris.

I don't know if you are aware, but some early (up to about early 2010 I believe), suffered from "running issues" due to the exhaust take off pipe position to the EGR valve.  It only affected the 998cc engine IQ - not the 1329cc. I don't think there was an official Toyota recall. I think the modified item had the EGR gas take- off point situated AFTER the catalytic converter, whereas the original  pre-mod item had the take off pipe to the EGR valve BEFORE the catalyst. It may be worth checking you car for to see if you still have the old type EGR valve fitted. Not sure if Toyota would entertain a claim after this time though.

I'm hoping that some more knowledgeable IQ forum members may be able to confirm this !

Also you say that that you have cleaned your MAF sensor. The IQ 2 does not have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor fitted.

I suspect you have cleaned the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor which is attached to the inlet manifold. If you did have a blocked catalytic converter, a code reader would probably show codes stored.

In the UK DVSA are responsible for the recall system, which is for safety related issues. As regards the EGR issues, at least one member did report the issue, but there were insufficient cases reported for DVSA to investigate with the manufacturer.

The EGR issue was probably dealt with by a Toyota Service Bulletin.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Antonio2 said:

Hi Chris.

I don't know if you are aware, but some early (up to about early 2010 I believe), suffered from "running issues" due to the exhaust take off pipe position to the EGR valve.  It only affected the 998cc engine IQ - not the 1329cc. I don't think there was an official Toyota recall. I think the modified item had the EGR gas take- off point situated AFTER the catalytic converter, whereas the original  pre-mod item had the take off pipe to the EGR valve BEFORE the catalyst. It may be worth checking you car for to see if you still have the old type EGR valve fitted. Not sure if Toyota would entertain a claim after this time though.

I'm hoping that some more knowledgeable IQ forum members may be able to confirm this !

Also you say that that you have cleaned your MAF sensor. The IQ 2 does not have a MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor fitted.

I suspect you have cleaned the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor which is attached to the inlet manifold. If you did have a blocked catalytic converter, a code reader would probably show codes stored.

Sorry, correction to above - I meant to say "check the position of the EGR take-off pipe (whether before or after cat)" - NOT the EGR valve. Apologies !

Air Intake Temperature (IAT) sensor is in the intake hose/top of the air box, Map is in the manifold

The IQ is well out of any Goodwill

Technical Service Bulletin 17 Aug 2011 EG-0064T-0811-T-EN-IR

Technical Service Bulletin

EG-0064T-0811

Subject:
Reduced engine power during take-off or acceleration from low speed
Models:
IQ
Model codes:
KGJ10

INTRODUCTION
This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the production change and repair method for the subject
condition. Applicable to vehicles produced before the production change effective VIN’s / frame numbers shown
below.
DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may experience and express that the vehicle exhibits a reduced engine power or a reduced acceleration when accelerating from low speeds.
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The EGR pipe has been moved to after the catalytic converter in order to reduce the amount of soot build up in the EGR.

PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION
Production has been changed as from EURO 5 models onwards.

Model code
KGJ10
Plant
Takaoka
Production change effective VIN
JTNML11020J057383
Implementation date
06/2010

1300312547_IQcatchange1krfe.thumb.jpg.1ff4d68dddba68b2eedb5bee6ccdf0bb.jpg
  • Like 1

I hope it's ok for me to jump in on this thread. I have had the loss of power at low revs for some time now. Am currently performing a egr valve clean. I have noticed that one of the passages that carries the exhaust gas through the aluminium intake plate is completely blocked, so that cylinder is not running correctly. Most of the gas is ending up in the cylinder closest to the timing belt. I have the old type exhaust manifold and am hoping to change that soon.

What would be the correct spark plug gap?

Hi Andy, both the IQ 998 and 1329cc should have spark plugs gapped at 1.0 - 1.1mm (or 39 - 43 thou imperial for old school !).

45 minutes ago, Antonio2 said:

Hi Andy, both the IQ 998 and 1329cc should have spark plugs gapped at 1.0 - 1.1mm (or 39 - 43 thou imperial for old school !).

Thankyou

Well, I can confirm that cleaning the egr valve and the aluminium spacer/exhaust gas distribution plate under the intake manifold makes a huge difference. I am looking forward to driving a normal car now

• Like 1