Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto mainbeam Failure

BigR1ch

Mornign everyone, just a quick question, has anyone had the issue where the auto mainbeam suddenly stops working mid drive and mainbeam cannot be manual enabled, other than holding on the mainbeam stalk on.
Had this on Saturday night, working fine then just stopped. The only thing that fixed it was to pull over, turn off the car, count to 10 and restart and then the system reactivated.

Going in for a service in a few weeks time so will raise that to them.

thanks

I'm not sure ...

Auto main beam is probably the wrong name for it - it is really an "auto dip" feature. When you have  "auto dip" enabled, and you are driving on the main / full beams, the headlights should dip automatically when the car detects a car ahead - either coming towards you or travelling in the same direction (so that you don't dazzle the car in front). They also dip when driving in daylight, on a lit road or when travelling at a slower speed (when the car deems main beams unnecessary).

If they dip when you don't want them to, the obvious resolution is to switch off the feature and control the main beams manually.

I assume that you were aware of all that and that none of those conditions apply?

9 minutes ago, philip42h said:

I'm not sure ...

Auto main beam is probably the wrong name for it - it is really an "auto dip" feature. When you have  "auto dip" enabled, and you are driving on the main / full beams, the headlights should dip automatically when the car detects a car ahead - either coming towards you or travelling in the same direction (so that you don't dazzle the car in front). They also dip when driving in daylight, on a lit road or when travelling at a slower speed (when the car deems main beams unnecessary).

If they dip when you don't want them to, the obvious resolution is to switch off the feature and control the main beams manually.

I assume that you were aware of all that and that none of those conditions apply?

Interesting I've never used them like that mine will automatically switch on and off the main beam when needed without ever using the main beam on the stalk. I think I'll give it a try although with it switched on I never think about using the stalk any more.

OK, for mine - an ancient 2020 model - the handbook states:

Activating the Automatic High Beam system:

1. Press the Automatic High Beam switch.
  2. Push the lever away from you with the headlight switch in the auto or dipped position.

The Automatic High Beam indicator will come on when the system is operating.

- i.e. you need to use the 'stalk' to switch on the high / main beams in order to activate the system - which is why I suggest that the name "Automatic High Beam" system doesn't really describe what it does and is likely to confuse folk ...

46 minutes ago, philip42h said:

OK, for mine - an ancient 2020 model - the handbook states:

- i.e. you need to use the 'stalk' to switch on the high / main beams in order to activate the system - which is why I suggest that the name "Automatic High Beam" system doesn't really describe what it does and is likely to confuse folk ...

That's not how it works in mine and the manual says something quite different. I wonder if it operates differently on different models/years.....

16442322554057327322701486097866.thumb.jpg.bb45afa69453ede9e6f84ef1d93226f0.jpg

I just leave the switch activated and HB switches on when it needs to, and switches off when it doesn't. I never have to touch the stalk.

Having said that, I had a similar issue on Saturday night. It was working, then I noticed that it had stopped working. The difference for me was that I could manually override it. But then it just started working again. It was very heavy rain at the time so just put it down to the conditions tricking the sensor.

Now that's very (OK, quite) interesting. You are quoting from the 'noddy's guide' to the PHEV while I am referring to the Owners Manual for my HEV. But, yes, they are different - the Automatic High Beam on a 2020 HEV works differently to that on a 2021 PHEV. How odd!

I guess that individual owners may need to check their own documentation ...

As per the Handbook

2. Push the lever away from you with the headlight switch in the auto or dipped position.

So in the situation i had.
AHB switch was on
Headlight lever was pushed away into High beam on position.

was working fine then stopped working mid drive.

Turning the AHB switch off and back on and/or moving the headlight lever didn't re-enable highbeam. 

Moving the lights from Auto mode to On on the stalk also didn't allow the high beam to switch on. 

Only a full restart of the car fixed it 😞

8 hours ago, BigR1ch said:

As per the Handbook

So in the situation i had.
AHB switch was on
Headlight lever was pushed away into High beam on position.

was working fine then stopped working mid drive.

Turning the AHB switch off and back on and/or moving the headlight lever didn't re-enable highbeam. 

Moving the lights from Auto mode to On on the stalk also didn't allow the high beam to switch on. 

Only a full restart of the car fixed it 😞

Any other circumstances that could have upset the system as there are loads of circumstances that can affect it?

Note these are specific to HEV not PHEV Rav4

Requirements to switch on ( when activated )

High beam automatic turning on or off conditions

• When all of the following conditions are fulfilled, the, high beam will be automatically turned on (after approximately 1 second):
  • Vehicle speed is above approximately 30 - 40 km/h (19 - 25 mph)* or more.
  • The area ahead of the vehicle is dark.
  • There are no vehicles ahead with headlights or tail lights turned on.
  • There are few streetlights on the road ahead.
  • If any of the following conditions are fulfilled, the, high beam will be automatically turned off:
  • Vehicle speed drops below approximately 25 - 30 km/h (16 - 19 mph)* .
  • The area ahead of the vehicle is not dark.
  • Vehicles ahead have headlights or tail lights turned on.
  • There are many streetlights on the road ahead.

* : The vehicle speed at which the high beams are automatically turned on/off may vary depending on the country for which the vehicle is approved.

Camera sensor detection information

The high beam may not be automatically turned off in the following situations:

• When oncoming vehicles suddenly appear from a curve
  • When the vehicle is cut in front of by another vehicle
  • When vehicles ahead are hidden from sight due to repeated curves, road dividers or roadside trees
  • When vehicles ahead appear from the faraway lane on a wide road
  • When vehicles ahead have no lights

The high beam may be turned off if a vehicle ahead that is using fog lights without using the headlights is detected.

• House lights, street lights, traffic signals, and illuminated billboards or signs may cause the high beam to switch to the low beams, or the low beams to remain on.

The following factors may affect the amount of time taken to turn the high beam on or off:

• The brightness of headlights, fog lights, and tail lights of vehicles ahead
  • The movement and direction of vehicles ahead
  • When a vehicle ahead only has operational lights on one side
  • When a vehicle ahead is a two wheeled vehicle
  • The condition of the road (gradient, curve, condition of the road surface etc.)
  • The number of passengers and amount of luggage

●The high beam may be turned on or off when the driver does not expect it.

●Bicycles or similar objects may not be detected.

In the situations shown below, the system may not be able to accurately detect surrounding brightness levels. This may cause the low beams to remain on or the high beams to cause problems for pedestrians, vehicles ahead or other parties. In these cases, manually switch between the high and low beams.

• In bad weather (rain, snow, fog, sandstorms, etc.)
  • The windshield is obscured by fog, mist, ice, dirt, etc.
  • The windshield is cracked or damaged
  • The camera sensor is deformed or dirty
  • When the temperature of the camera sensor is extremely high
  • Surrounding brightness levels are equal to those of headlights, tail lights or fog lights
  • When headlights or tail lights of vehicles ahead are turned off, dirty, changing colour, or not aimed properly
  • When the vehicle is hit by water, snow, dust, etc. from a preceding vehicle
  • When driving through an area of intermittently changing brightness and darkness
  • When frequently and repeatedly driving ascending/descending roads, or roads with rough, bumpy or uneven surfaces (such as stone-paved roads, gravel roads, etc.)
  • When frequently and repeatedly taking curves or driving on a winding road
  • There is a highly reflective object ahead of the vehicle, such as a sign or mirror
  • The back of a vehicle ahead is highly reflective, such as a container on a truck
  • The vehicle’s headlights are damaged or dirty, or are not aimed properly
  • The vehicle is listing or titling due to a flat tire, a trailer being towed, etc.
  • The high beam and low beam are repeatedly being switched between in an abnormal manner
  • The driver believes that the high beam may be causing problems or distress to other drivers or pedestrians nearby
  • The vehicle is used in a territory in which vehicles travel on the opposite side of the road of the country for which the vehicle is approved, for

9 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Any other circumstances that could have upset the system as there are loads of circumstances that can affect it?

• When all of the following conditions are fulfilled, the, high beam will be automatically turned on (after approximately 1 second):
  • If any of the following conditions are fulfilled, the, high beam will be automatically turned off:

* : The vehicle speed at which the high beams are automatically turned on/off may vary depending on the country for which the vehicle is approved.

• When vehicles ahead are hidden from sight due to repeated curves, road dividers or roadside trees

The high beam may be turned off if a vehicle ahead that is using fog lights without using the headlights is detected.

• House lights, street lights, traffic signals, and illuminated billboards or signs may cause the high beam to switch to the low beams, or the low beams to remain on.

The following factors may affect the amount of time taken to turn the high beam on or off:

• The condition of the road (gradient, curve, condition of the road surface etc.)

In the situations shown below, the system may not be able to accurately detect surrounding brightness levels. This may cause the low beams to remain on or the high beams to cause problems for pedestrians, vehicles ahead or other parties. In these cases, manually switch between the high and low beams.

• Surrounding brightness levels are equal to those of headlights, tail lights or fog lights
  • When headlights or tail lights of vehicles ahead are turned off, dirty, changing colour, or not aimed properly
  • When driving through an area of intermittently changing brightness and darkness
  • When frequently and repeatedly driving ascending/descending roads, or roads with rough, bumpy or uneven surfaces (such as stone-paved roads, gravel roads, etc.)
  • There is a highly reflective object ahead of the vehicle, such as a sign or mirror
  • The back of a vehicle ahead is highly reflective, such as a container on a truck
  • The vehicle is listing or titling due to a flat tire, a trailer being towed, etc.
  • The high beam and low beam are repeatedly being switched between in an abnormal manner
  • The driver believes that the high beam may be causing problems or distress to other drivers or pedestrians nearby
  • The vehicle is used in a territory in which vehicles travel on the opposite side of the road of the country for which the vehicle is approved, for

So they might or might not work.

12 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Who knows Devon.

All i can tell you is that i was doing 60 mph on an A road. 
Auto Main beam happily working as oncoming vehicles approached dipping and then back to full beam as they passed.
Then a car went passed, lights dipped, then failed to return to full beam. 
The funny thin was that High Beam would work unless the stick was pulled towards you (as if to flash) pushing away wouldn't work in any light setting (Manual, Auto with or withou AHB)
AHB light on dash dissapeared and only a restart of the car re-enabled Full Beam to work.

Will ask the Dealer to check it out on the service in 2 weeks time.
As this appears to be a unique occurance.