Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking lights

Andrew Maynard

I have a 2020 Prius Excel. If I need to park on an unlit road and require parking lights, the only option I can find is to switch the lights to daytime running lights. This leaves all the instrument panel lights on when I lock the car, including the ones in the doors.  Am I doing this incorrectly? Is there a way to park with parking lights on but panel lights off?

Isn't this the same with most cars.

I thought parking lights were a thing of the past ?

Not checked, but with my previous make of you put the indicator to left or right it would put on that sidelight.  

19 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I thought parking lights were a thing of the past ?

The first post should read sidelights or position lights - which are used as 'parking lights' when parked on unlit roads. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The first post should read sidelights or position lights - which are used as 'parking lights' when parked on unlit roads. 

I remember from way back in the day, when parking/position lights were required all the time. People would use oil lamps, for example, next to their cars. I also remember that new cars in the 60s had dinky little lights on the wings, front being white and rear being red.

Aside from what the law says, do people actually use "parking"lights when parked on unlit roads these days ?

Stopeter, or even a little lamp, red/white lens, plug into the cigarette lighter and clip on window. 

I think not just not required but actually illegal. Indeed parking  lights are not required but you must park in the direction of the traffic. 

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I think not just not required but actually illegal. Indeed parking  lights are not required but you must park in the direction of the traffic. 

That's what I thought, it's been over 40 years since I lived in the UK, and the details of everyday life pass me by !

• Haha 1

All vehicles MUST display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).
Law RVLR reg 24

If parked in unlit road in fog sidelights must be used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Stopeter, or even a little lamp, red/white lens, plug into the cigarette lighter and clip on window. 

There is an innovative way of using parking lights round this neck of the woods consisting of pulling up on the wrong side of the road with headlights on, sometimes on full beam 😀

I do remember in the 70s breaking down with flat Battery among many other faults in some old banger and getting a ticket for no parking lights.

It was a country road so I see the point ,my fault for not maintaining the car properly.

The ticket was withdrawn however when I explained the circumstances.

• Like 2

Maybe I phrased my query badly.  My concern is that when parking I only have three options on the lighting switch.  These are Auto for automatic dipping and full beam headlights for driving at night. The second is daytime running lights which also turn on the instrument panel lights, The third is headlights without daytime running lights.  So my only option for parking is the second one which leaves all the instrument panel lights on.  Is there any way of leaving the daytime running lights on when parked, but turning off the instrument panel lights when the car is locked?

7 hours ago, Andrew Maynard said:

Maybe I phrased my query badly.  My concern is that when parking I only have three options on the lighting switch.  These are Auto for automatic dipping and full beam headlights for driving at night. The second is daytime running lights which also turn on the instrument panel lights, The third is headlights without daytime running lights.  So my only option for parking is the second one which leaves all the instrument panel lights on.  Is there any way of leaving the daytime running lights on when parked, but turning off the instrument panel lights when the car is locked?

I think the light options in the stalk are as follow: 

First option auto is for auto ON and OFF of the headlights 

Second option is for parking (side lights) 

Third option is for your headlights manually turned ON when raining for example 

note:  daytime running lights has no option to be turned on or off and they always come ON when you start the car (ready mode).👍

Thanks, I fully understand the three options on the stalk. But my question is can I turn off the instrument panel lights when using the second option and locking the car? I think FROSTYBALLS reply of "No" is correct but I still find it amazing that this hi tech car leaves all the panel lights on when the car is parked and locked.

16 minutes ago, Andrew Maynard said:

I think FROSTYBALLS reply of "No" is correct but I still find it amazing that this hi tech car leaves all the panel lights on when the car is parked and locked.

There's a few things like that, surprising on a hi-tech modern car, like the lack of auto lock on most models in the range. TBH, I was really surprised by your OP, but needs must, etc. The last time I can recall that I may have parked on an unlit road, was maybe two years ago, and I can't remember for sure whether it was lit or not.

It's a bind but, you can turn the dash illumination down to 0, that might help ? OTOH, I would also be worried about 12v Battery drain under those conditions, too.

No is the correct answer.👍 The second position on the stalk is for parking lights and they do always come with instrument lights on, if you compare to German cars that have an option to use one side of the car with parking lights on via the turn signal the Japanese cars does not have this extra. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

No is the correct answer.👍 The second position on the stalk is for parking lights and they do always come with instrument lights on, if you compare to German cars that have an option to use one side of the car with parking lights on via the turn signal the Japanese cars does not have this extra. 

That does seem to be a peculiarity of German cars (and Vauxhalls due to their Opel origins, plus Skoda and Seat as they are part of VW). I've not known this feature to be fitted on cars from any other part of the world. It is usual for the instrument panel lights to be on with the parking/postion lights on most cars.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

Vauxhalls due to their Opel origins

From April no Vauxhall cars will be built in the UK, and with the demise of the current Astra in March, and the next Insignia due for replacement by 2024, all of their range will be based on Stellantis (Peugeot) vehicles.

Luton currently builds vans and Ellesmere Port will be building electric vans.

If the lights are CANBUS controlled like they are on some EVs it might be possible to tell the sidelights to turn on but not the internal illumination with an ODB2 dongle, but that's something more up flash22's street of voodoo car hackery :laugh: 

• 2 weeks later...

How long were you looking to leaving the 'parking' lights on for?  

With the size of the 12volt Battery and its usual very light uncharged use, I would be concerned that it could drain down fairly quickly if used for an extended time.