Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pedal

Black Black

Hi one day last week my brake pedal went to the floor it happened a few times on that day when I pumped the pedal it was correct, the following days the brakes were fine,? I took the car in for mot yesterday it passed no problems, I told the mechanic about the problem he said that there is a slight misting around the rubber boot on the master cylinder that might have caused it , he priced me £440,is that a fair price, I've got a 2014 toyota yaris trend 1.33 thanks. 

Hi, this fault sounds like the Brake Master Cylinder seals are getting worn out, expect it to happen again and get more frequent. Your mech's hourly rate is a bit pricey. I would hunt around for a smaller indepenant garage. It's fairly simple job for a home mech.

47 minutes ago, Bomber209 said:

Hi, this fault sounds like the Brake Master Cylinder seals are getting worn out, expect it to happen again and get more frequent. Your mech's hourly rate is a bit pricey. I would hunt around for a smaller indepenant garage. It's fairly simple job for a home mech.

I agree with Phil it’s very pricey I would expect to have it done for half that quoted.

OK thanks I'll look around for  a cheaper quote 

Was the quote for supplying & fitting a genuine Toyota supplied brake master cylinder OR an aftermarket part?

I've changed a few master cylinders in the past on various cars & older forklifts, I've always fitted genuine parts apart from once on a mk 4 Fiesta - guess which new master cylinder failed within 3 weeks after fitting 🙄

Took it back to the motor factor for a refund & then got a genuine Ford supplied part. 

• Like 1

It may well be the master cylinder, however the symptoms of the pedal going to the floor are the exact same as happened on our old Corolla (2003) back in 2013. It had had new front discs and pads fitted in the summer of that year and was fine for some weeks afterwards including a week in the Isle of Man where there were some serious brake testing descents.

All was good until driving off the ferry when the pedal went to the floor. It happened intermittently on the journey home and the following day.

I suspected a master cylinder and so did Toyota but when examined they apologised and said it was just a small airlock in the system and that occasionally and despite all the best efforts this can occasionally happen when brake work is done. That was 9 years ago and its been fine ever since.

So yes, although it is symptomatic of a master cylinder issue it also may be something else.

• Like 1

Blueprint are as good as oem regarding master and slave cylinders, and most other parts for Japanese cars. 👍

10 hours ago, Black Black said:

Hi one day last week my brake pedal went to the floor it happened a few times on that day when I pumped the pedal it was correct, the following days the brakes were fine,? I took the car in for mot yesterday it passed no problems, I told the mechanic about the problem he said that there is a slight misting around the rubber boot on the master cylinder that might have caused it , he priced me £440,is that a fair price, I've got a 2014 toyota yaris trend 1.33 thanks. 

Have you you used Toyota for service since 1st June 2021 if you have you should have a Relax warranty from Toyota which should cover a faulty Brake master cylinder.

• Like 1

Hi everyone I've had look under the brake pedal we're there's dust cover , at the back of the brake booster when I pulled the cover back there's fluid leaking slowly, so I think bomber was right, it's the master cylinder fault, I can only get this part from the main dealer at a price of £263, so it's going in next week to get done,the car as only done 39,000 miles this shouldn't go on that mileage should it .

Not really about mileage on it's own. If the car you're talking about is 2014, it will be 7 years-old, so could be down to age also. In saying that, I certainly wouldn't expect to change master cylinder after that period of time. These days, they should last 10+ years, at least.

If you have full service history, I'd try talking to Customer Relations and ask them if they feel it's fair wear & Tear. You may get at least a contribution from Toyota. It may have even missed a recall.

Just saying: the master cylinder in our 2003  Yaris is original and works perfectly so far (MOT passed again today)

• Like 2

Has the fluid level dropped ? if not the master should be fine, the booster maybe the issue - if it has dropped it may have dumped it into the booster

Hi thought I'd let you know, had new master cylinder fitted today, the old one was leaking, done by independent garage at a cost of £430, there was no recall on that problem, think I was just unlucky that's all , thanks all .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for letting us know and giving some closure! :thumbsup:

Sometimes these things happen; May have been damaged by some road debris being thrown up (Smeg knows I've been terrified of all the knocking sounds from under my car these past few days from all the storm debris on the roads!)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Thanks for letting us know and giving some closure! :thumbsup:

Sometimes these things happen; May have been damaged by some road debris being thrown up (Smeg knows I've been terrified of all the knocking sounds from under my car these past few days from all the storm debris on the roads!)

Cat plate helps a lot in situations like that. I hit once a glass bottle and the impact was huge exactly on the plate and a loud bam like something exploded, surprisingly the bottle remained intact and flew away from behind. , must had been from a old scotch whiskey 🥃😂👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1