Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.8 Hatchback or 1.8/2.0 Touring Sports

DaveMatt7

Hi. I am new on here and just looking for some honest views on the HB and TS, as well as on the 1.8 versus 2.0L engines. I have never owned a hybrid before but realise from reading a lot of the great info on this site that it requires a different driving style to get good mpg. My current car is a petrol Seat Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5L 150hp and I get a mpg of 41-45 just driving backwards and forwards to work (about a 30 min run at varying speeds 40-70 depending on traffic mostly uphill on the Edinburgh bypass going and downhill coming back). I guess I might be described as a more aggressive driver, although far from being a boy racer, particularly at my age (young 58 lol).

I have read alot on here about the poorer mpg with the 2.0L engine and speaking to my neighbour who bought the Excel TS 2.0 around 6 months ago, he is only getting 48 mpg with his relatively short trips everywhere, which is putting me of it - he did go back to the garage but they checked it but mpg hasn't improved. But then I read about people saying the 1.8L lacks acceleration going up hills and over revs. I am definitely a person overtaking in the outside lane when climbing hills rather than sitting in the inside lane, although I stick to speed limits. Any honest views on what might suit my driving style - although I will obviously change that with a hybrid to some extent.

When I went to the garage last week to look at a Yaris for my wife, I checked out both cars and preferred the smaller HB over the TS, although both look nice. I don't really need a very large boot anymore, but note that if I went for 2.0L the boot is tiny in HB because of the bigger Battery, so would have to go for the 1.8L if I decide to get the HB. 

Got an appointment for this Saturday for VIP event, so am thinking of getting either 1.8 HB or 1.8/2.0 SW in either Design or Excel trim (probaby latter for leather seats, auto tailgate and bi-LED headlights and if get good offer from garage). Like Obsidian Blue and Denim Blue colours, but not seen them in the flesh yet.

I know I tend to over think these things and probably research too much, but then I am a scientist! Are there people on here that have owned, driven and experienced both that can comment on how they perform. Or people who own a 1.8 HB or TS and dont regret buying that rather than the 2.0? I think I will test drive both if I can on Saturday or just the 1.8 to see how it handles.

Sorry this is so long! But thanks if you got this far.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DaveMatt7 said:

I have never owned a hybrid before but realise from reading a lot of the great info on this site that it requires a different driving style to get good mpg.

It's not that the car requires a different driving style, it's just that the car, literally, encourages a different driving style, IMO. The reason I went hybrid, was lower emissions and better fuel economy. There's a feature on the My T app that shows how you do, and I treat it as a game trying to get the the most EV time and distance on any given trip.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I test drove a 2 litre C-HR for an hour last week & still managed to get 56 mpg average during my test drive without trying.

I also had EV mode at 50 mph cruising on a dual carriageway for short distances.

It was a lot more responsive then the 1.8 C-HR I had tested previously.

Test drive both & see which suits your needs best before ordering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the 2.0 ST Excel in Obsidian Blue, with the JBL speaker upgrade and the Panoramic Moonroof and I couldn't be happier. I've lost count of the number of positive comments about the colour.

Mine's a company car though, and as I pay only 15p per mile personal mileage, that changes the complexion of the decision somewhat.

I do find the kick-opening tailgate especially useful! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2.0 TS average for the last 12months, is 55.8mpg. That’s with mixed driving, it’s around 60mpg in warm summer, and 48-50 with cold winter weather. 

I do a mix of very short trips, and longer country lane runs. It’s 54-56mpg on motorway runs. 

2.0 is a fine unit - very reasonable MPG considering the power output, smooth, responsive & plenty of performance 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good information given so far and probably more to follow.
I had owned neither of them but I am a hybrid driver, I had  a couple of Priuses and currently I drive an Auris 1.8, tbh the 2.0 hybrid will suit your driving style more than 1.8. The 1.8 hybrid it’s not a slow car and drives absolutely fine on motorways, however it is not suitable for fast motorway driving (German style, autobahn keep up with traffic), any speeds over 70-80mph and going uphill or wanting more and pushing it the car will scream and you gonna feel it more than if you have the 2.0 one, remember that later will also behave similarly and it’s down to how the whole hybrid system works and how the torque is created and transferred to the driving wheels, it’s not lack of power, it’s simply a type of power train, the bigger engine here wins obviously as it does produce more low end torque, it does have bigger Battery too but also will consume a bit more (5-10mpg an average against 1.8). If you about efficiency 1.8 is better, but if you about efficiency and performance then 2.0 is your winning bid. Touring sport also is probably the better choice too as it gives more room on the rear seats and obviously a larger boot. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's not that the car requires a different driving style, it's just that the car, literally, encourages a different driving style, IMO. The reason I went hybrid, was lower emissions and better fuel economy. There's a feature on the My T app that shows how you do, and I treat it as a game trying to get the the most EV time and distance on any given trip.

Ah OK thanks thats helpful to know

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I test drove a 2 litre C-HR for an hour last week & still managed to get 56 mpg average during my test drive without trying.

I also had EV mode at 50 mph cruising on a dual carriageway for short distances.

It was a lot more responsive then the 1.8 C-HR I had tested previously.

Test drive both & see which suits your needs best before ordering.

I will see if I can try both. I guess I dont fully understand how it all works yet, just going by what my neighbour has told me. Thanks for your reply, that is helpful.

1 hour ago, Extreme_One said:

kick-opening tailgate on my current I have the 2.0 ST Excel in Obsidian Blue, with the JBL speaker upgrade and the Panoramic Moonroof and I couldn't be happier. I've lost count of the number of positive comments about the colour.

Mine's a company car though, and as I pay only 15p per mile personal mileage, that changes the complexion of the decision somewhat.

I do find the kick-opening tailgate especially useful! 😁

Yes I think I am probably more drawn to the Obsidian Blue whichever I choose. Got some good quotes from Carwow to take with me with and without the speaker upgrade and panoramic roof. I have the kick-opening tailgate on my current Ateca and find that useful, so will likely go for the Excel trim anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

My 2.0 TS average for the last 12months, is 55.8mpg. That’s with mixed driving, it’s around 60mpg in warm summer, and 48-50 with cold winter weather. 

I do a mix of very short trips, and longer country lane runs. It’s 54-56mpg on motorway runs. 

2.0 is a fine unit - very reasonable MPG considering the power output, smooth, responsive & plenty of performance 

Thanks thats really helpful. I think I am moving towards the 2.0. The mpg is still better than than the 41-45 I am currently getting, especially once it gets warmer.

I have a 2.0 GR in obsidian blue, I'm really pleased with it. It's a good looking thing.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Good information given so far and probably more to follow.
I had owned neither of them but I am a hybrid driver, I had  a couple of Priuses and currently I drive an Auris 1.8, tbh the 2.0 hybrid will suit your driving style more than 1.8. The 1.8 hybrid it’s not a slow car and drives absolutely fine on motorways, however it is not suitable for fast motorway driving (German style, autobahn keep up with traffic), any speeds over 70-80mph and going uphill or wanting more and pushing it the car will scream and you gonna feel it more than if you have the 2.0 one, remember that later will also behave similarly and it’s down to how the whole hybrid system works and how the torque is created and transferred to the driving wheels, it’s not lack of power, it’s simply a type of power train, the bigger engine here wins obviously as it does produce more low end torque, it does have bigger battery too but also will consume a bit more (5-10mpg an average against 1.8). If you about efficiency 1.8 is better, but if you about efficiency and performance then 2.0 is your winning bid. Touring sport also is probably the better choice too as it gives more room on the rear seats and obviously a larger boot. 
Good luck 👍

Thanks that is really great advice and all makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining the torque rather than power point, that helps me understand it better - I really am a complete virgin when it comes to hybrids! I am definitely about efficiency, saving on fuel and being better on the environemtn in terms of CO2 output, but also still wanting performance out of the car. It is looking like the the 2.0 ST is the way to go for me then. Then to decide if its worth upgrading the Speakers and adding a sunroof!! Too many oiptions lol, but this will come down to the deal and my finances. 

Thanks for your help, you have all been very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I have a 2.0 GR in obsidian blue, I'm really pleased with it. It's a good looking thing.

Yes I considered that too, but not sure the reduced boot size is ok for me. But this colour seems to be very popular, it does look nice on the web. 🙂

Hi David. Reading between the lines I would say you are a 2.0 litre guy. But you really need to drive both the 1.8 and 2.0 to be sure. My Design TS 2.0 is simply a super effortless drive with bags of power when needed. Very quiet engine and lovely refined drive. Mine is silver and looks great too. I can easily get 50 mpg plus most of the time. My average over 8000 miles is 56.4. Mixed driving in all weathers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bigblock said:

Hi David. Reading between the lines I would say you are a 2.0 litre guy. But you really need to drive both the 1.8 and 2.0 to be sure. My Design TS 2.0 is simply a super effortless drive with bags of power when needed. Very quiet engine and lovely refined drive. Mine is silver and looks great too. I can easily get 50 mpg plus most of the time. My average over 8000 miles is 56.4. Mixed driving in all weathers.

Thanks Michael. I have a feeling from what you and others have said that you are probably correct and that the 2.0 will suit me best.  I will try and test drive both if I can - we also need to test drive a Yaris for the wife as well. 

29 minutes ago, DaveMatt7 said:

Thanks Michael. I have a feeling from what you and others have said that you are probably correct and that the 2.0 will suit me best.  I will try and test drive both if I can - we also need to test drive a Yaris for the wife as well. 

We have a current shape Yaris and it is fantastic. Far brisker than the 1.8 Corolla I have on order. Unsurprising as the Yaris has a more powerful motor and bigger Battery in a smaller car. The Yaris 3 cylinder engine is a modular cutdown of the 2.0 Corolla engine.

Our reasons for getting the 1.8 Corolla were:

The 2.0 hatchback has a boot only 15% bigger than the Yaris which isn’t that great. There are only the two of us so a TS is overkill.

At beyond our budget anyhow, I preferred a 1.8 Design to a 2.0 Icon that would have been a similar cost.

Where we live in Kent is less than a mile from Dual Carriageway so any chance to use ultimate performance is pretty academic anyway. Although the number of AMG Mercs, not just AMG Line models around here, you would think we were around the corner from the Nurburgring.

I am a press on driver, but even for me on town and dual carriageway roads the 1.8 is great. Only if your main drive includes single carriageway overtaking would I consider a lower spec 2.0 over a higher spec 1.8.

Living elsewhere in the country would have a different criteria of priorities, but to me, the current Yaris fits in everywhere.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love my Mk4 too - I haven't had a car since my Mk1 D4D that I can both hoon around AND get stupidly high mpg!

Toyota are just working magic with their 3-cylinder engines, and with the electric motors to cover off the low-RPM it makes the car feel so much more powerful than it actually is! And it still works when crawling through slow traffic too, without that feeling that you're wasting loads of petrol idling :biggrin: 

You can really feel the body improvements in the TNGA body compared to the previous ones too - The handling is so much better.

If you don't need the extra bulk and space of the Corolla, the Yaris is a far better car IMHO! In fact, I'd say the choice should be the Corolla TS or the Yaris, as the Corolla HB doesn't seem that much more spacious to me, esp. the back seats!

It does have more comfy seats tho', at least the one I tried compared to my Mk4 Excel (Which has easily the least comfortable seats of any Yaris I've owned!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DaveMatt7 said:

Yes I considered that too, but not sure the reduced boot size is ok for me. But this colour seems to be very popular, it does look nice on the web. 🙂

Mine is an estate, not a hatch.

Unless they faffed with the size of the 2.0 estate as well?

It's plenty big enough for what we need anyway 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

They moved the passenger seats back a bit in the estate which I think was a good choice. The HB could have done with a couple inches more passenger legroom. So could the Yaris for that matter - the boot is larger than any of my previous Yarisusesisus but tall passengers must leave their legs at the door :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try fitting an adult in the back of a GT 86, it's well worth it 🤣

• Haha 2

It seems to me Corolla hatch is made smaller on purpose to push people to buy saloons and estates, hatchback is the worst in class for rear seats leg room, shame really as previous Corolla and auris had been class leaders. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It seems to me Corolla hatch is made smaller on purpose to push people to buy saloons and estates

If that were the case, it certainly hasn't worked for the saloon in the UK as it has now been discontinued in this market.

In fact Toyota targeted couples with the hatchback, families with the Touring Sport and execs with the saloon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TS for me.

Sat in a Corolla hatch and rear seat room rather small. Sat in a 2020 Yaris and liked the interior space and layout. Could even sit in the back. I have a 1996 Volvo 940 estate and that is big! Estate for me, hence buying a 1.8 Auris Hybrid TS. I find it more than adequate. Power mode really livens it up. Run it in Normal mode, mostly. My Volvo has 135BHP. Auris about the same I think.

Volvo 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also had a long debate whether to get the 1.8 or 2.0.

😅😅

I test drove both, and yes the 2.0 shifted but the 1.8 also shifted nicely. 

I'm coming from a 2.0 TDI and I decided to go with the 1.8. My goal was to gain more efficiency and to cut cost. So sticking with the 2.0 defeats my goal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

I love my Mk4 too - I haven't had a car since my Mk1 D4D that I can both hoon around AND get stupidly high mpg!

Toyota are just working magic with their 3-cylinder engines, and with the electric motors to cover off the low-RPM it makes the car feel so much more powerful than it actually is! And it still works when crawling through slow traffic too, without that feeling that you're wasting loads of petrol idling :biggrin: 

You can really feel the body improvements in the TNGA body compared to the previous ones too - The handling is so much better.

If you don't need the extra bulk and space of the Corolla, the Yaris is a far better car IMHO! In fact, I'd say the choice should be the Corolla TS or the Yaris, as the Corolla HB doesn't seem that much more spacious to me, esp. the back seats!

It does have more comfy seats tho', at least the one I tried compared to my Mk4 Excel (Which has easily the least comfortable seats of any Yaris I've owned!)

There are now mainly only the two of us, our daughter is at university (and has her own car) and the dog so rear space is not a priority.

For us the Corolla HB over the Yaris gains much bigger boot (in 1.8 form), much better front seats, fantastic ride quality and a bit more soundproofing. In the UK you can’t get a Yaris with 16” wheels and standard suspension along with parking sensors. The ride on ours is firm enough so wouldn’t want it any harder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1