Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.8 Hatchback or 1.8/2.0 Touring Sports

DaveMatt7

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If that were the case, it certainly hasn't worked for the saloon in the UK as it has now been discontinued in this market.

In fact Toyota targeted couples with the hatchback, families with the Touring Sport and execs with the saloon.

That’s what I think and whoever from Toyota uk make decisions what and how equipped to be to offer in UK market has got it all wrong imo. Saloons had a future Corolla particularly as is direct replacement for many executive but not with the equipment that was offered or the engine choices, they should had it in 2.0 hybrid in excel and GR trims., then sale figures might have been different. Trend is obviously towards suv and crossovers. 

• Thanks 1

I have driven the C-HR 1.8, Yaris 1.5, Corolla 1.8 HB and TS and 2.0 TS, as i work part time to de-fleet them i spend quite a lot of hours driving them.

As far as hybrid system is concern the Yaris 1.5 is amazing, it is the only hybrid system that can glide on EV mode over 60mph, I can manage 75+ without trying to hard and when i try my very best i get nearly 90mpg.

C-HR Hybird system seems a little different to the current 1.8 HB but more like the Auris 1.8 getting 70mpg in mix is a little bit difficult realistically more like 60-65mpg, however the TNGA platform amazes me so much on the handling i am tempted to buy one.

Now to 1.8HB, this is the best choice if you want efficiency and no rush, i manage 65+mpg on mix run and A roads plus city driving 75mpg is not hard. When push along the HB is still an ok car to drive.

1.8 TS and 2.0 TS difference is quite big, you will notice the extra omph. When floored the traction light goes on but you do not feel the car is skidding. when push the 2.0 surge like a diesel, you feel that you are moving but not quick by any means.

operation wise i feel the 2.0 tends to always have engine kick in for no obvious reason, the 1.8 kicks in EV mode more often.

i ended up buying the 2.0 TS because i do like the extra performance ( coming from a s212 E350)

Probably someone could share their thoughts?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, bear807 said:

I have driven the C-HR 1.8, Yaris 1.5, Corolla 1.8 HB and TS and 2.0 TS, as i work part time to de-fleet them i spend quite a lot of hours driving them.

As far as hybrid system is concern the Yaris 1.5 is amazing, it is the only hybrid system that can glide on EV mode over 60mph, I can manage 75+ without trying to hard and when i try my very best i get nearly 90mpg.

C-HR Hybird system seems a little different to the current 1.8 HB but more like the Auris 1.8 getting 70mpg in mix is a little bit difficult realistically more like 60-65mpg, however the TNGA platform amazes me so much on the handling i am tempted to buy one.

Now to 1.8HB, this is the best choice if you want efficiency and no rush, i manage 65+mpg on mix run and A roads plus city driving 75mpg is not hard. When push along the HB is still an ok car to drive.

1.8 TS and 2.0 TS difference is quite big, you will notice the extra omph. When floored the traction light goes on but you do not feel the car is skidding. when push the 2.0 surge like a diesel, you feel that you are moving but not quick by any means.

operation wise i feel the 2.0 tends to always have engine kick in for no obvious reason, the 1.8 kicks in EV mode more often.

i ended up buying the 2.0 TS because i do like the extra performance ( coming from a s212 E350)

Very comprehensive and objective comparison.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, bear807 said:

I think you've summarised the differences between the 1.8TS and 2.0TS perfectly. 👍

If fuel efficiency isn't crucial, I feel the 2.0 does provide a much more enjoyable drive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kental said:

We have a current shape Yaris and it is fantastic. Far brisker than the 1.8 Corolla I have on order. Unsurprising as the Yaris has a more powerful motor and bigger battery in a smaller car. The Yaris 3 cylinder engine is a modular cutdown of the 2.0 Corolla engine.

Our reasons for getting the 1.8 Corolla were:

The 2.0 hatchback has a boot only 15% bigger than the Yaris which isn’t that great. There are only the two of us so a TS is overkill.

At beyond our budget anyhow, I preferred a 1.8 Design to a 2.0 Icon that would have been a similar cost.

Where we live in Kent is less than a mile from Dual Carriageway so any chance to use ultimate performance is pretty academic anyway. Although the number of AMG Mercs, not just AMG Line models around here, you would think we were around the corner from the Nurburgring.

I am a press on driver, but even for me on town and dual carriageway roads the 1.8 is great. Only if your main drive includes single carriageway overtaking would I consider a lower spec 2.0 over a higher spec 1.8.

Living elsewhere in the country would have a different criteria of priorities, but to me, the current Yaris fits in everywhere.

Thanks Alan for your advice. OK the perhaps the 1.8 is back in the running. Most of my driving is a 50mph country road for 10 min which I dont often overtake on as its busy then the 70 mph dual lane bypass, most of which is uphill. I was originally also only interested in the HB as I don't really need the big boot anymore, as like you there are now only two of us. I also have loooked at Design spec, it is only really leather seats that I would loose going down from Excel to Desire. So will see if I can test drive the 1.8 HB and 2.0TS tomorrow.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

I love my Mk4 too - I haven't had a car since my Mk1 D4D that I can both hoon around AND get stupidly high mpg!

Toyota are just working magic with their 3-cylinder engines, and with the electric motors to cover off the low-RPM it makes the car feel so much more powerful than it actually is! And it still works when crawling through slow traffic too, without that feeling that you're wasting loads of petrol idling :biggrin: 

You can really feel the body improvements in the TNGA body compared to the previous ones too - The handling is so much better.

If you don't need the extra bulk and space of the Corolla, the Yaris is a far better car IMHO! In fact, I'd say the choice should be the Corolla TS or the Yaris, as the Corolla HB doesn't seem that much more spacious to me, esp. the back seats!

It does have more comfy seats tho', at least the one I tried compared to my Mk4 Excel (Which has easily the least comfortable seats of any Yaris I've owned!)

My wife is checking out the Yaris, so we will be test driving that anyway. I guess I should look at the two then side by side. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

A test drive in each is the best way to compare, sounds like you’ll prefer the 2.0 but you may find the 1.8 is all you need. 

If you’re still not sure then ask for a second, longer test drive the next day. I’ve done this on the last two cars I bought and can’t tell you how helpful it was. It’s hard to judge a car on first drive, esp if the dealer is with you. If you can drive it, go home and gather your thoughts that night then drive it again the next day it really helps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question on the Yaris (or rather the Yaris Cross).

I've toyed with downsizing from my Corolla to a Yaris because it seemed like it offered all that I wanted. But I found a review that implied the hybrid Battery was a bit small now we have someone saying it's a bigger size relative to the Corolla HB's..so which is it?

I like my Corolla HB but a bit more boot space and a narrower vehicle would be nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I've toyed with downsizing from my Corolla to a Yaris because it seemed like it offered all that I wanted. But I found a review that implied the hybrid battery was a bit small now we have someone saying it's a bigger size relative to the Corolla HB's..so which is it?

I like my Corolla HB but a bit more boot space and a narrower vehicle would be nice.

My thoughts too. A shorter vehicle but with a bigger boot and more room for rear passengers! Downside is the non opening glass roof ....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 50p said:

My thoughts too. A shorter vehicle but with a bigger boot and more room for rear passengers! Downside is the non opening glass roof ....

From a brief glance online it would appear that a Yaris Cross gives me everything I already have with the addition of:

* Slightly narrower.

* Better fuel consumption.

* Slightly bigger boot.

* Colour HUD?

I'm intrigued because honestly it seems like there's no longer any point in the Corolla HB other than it not being an 'SUV - like vehicle'.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I'm intrigued because honestly it seems like there's no longer any point in the Corolla HB other than it not being an 'SUV - like vehicle'.

Built in the UK & it's not a Yaris appeals to some people. 

I would have ordered a Corolla hatchback if blind spot monitoring had been available but alas Toyota UK just wont listen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I've toyed with downsizing from my Corolla to a Yaris because it seemed like it offered all that I wanted. But I found a review that implied the hybrid battery was a bit small now we have someone saying it's a bigger size relative to the Corolla HB's..so which is it?

We preferred Yaris Cross over Corolla as well, however 1) it is less powered than 1.8 litre corolla 2) its interior is not as good as corolla's- usual hard plastics of a vehicle class below. If these don't matter, then it is great buy. We went for CHR but Yaris Cross has more space than CHR as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kental said:

There are now mainly only the two of us, our daughter is at university (and has her own car) and the dog so rear space is not a priority.

For us the Corolla HB over the Yaris gains much bigger boot (in 1.8 form), much better front seats, fantastic ride quality and a bit more soundproofing. In the UK you can’t get a Yaris with 16” wheels and standard suspension along with parking sensors. The ride on ours is firm enough so wouldn’t want it any harder.

Yeah, that was a similar gripe I had - Unfortunately I wanted the HUD and parking sensors more so still went with the Excel spec, but the first thing I did was drop the 17" alloys and put on 15" steel rims and it's made the car sooo much better - NVH is vastly improved, I don't get kerbing anxiety and the tyres cost nearly half as much!

I keep arguing this with Toyota that putting massive boy-raceresque low-profile rims on a car that's supposed to be fuel efficient is just stupid and counter-productive, but they insist on it, not even willing to consider making them optional.

I guess people that think massive rims = better still greatly outnumber people who have functioning brains :laugh: 

7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Don't know if the Cross is the same, but I believe the Mk4 Yaris has the smallest hybrid Battery in terms of both size and capacity - It's only 700W (Not even a single kilowatt!), which sounds uselessly small, but it's turned out this is actually genius.

The obvious downside is it can't run on EV-only for any significant length of time, but it is much lighter than any hybrid pack that's come before it, and lightness = better mpg. It also means the engine cycles on and off more often, keeping it in operating temperature easier than hybrids with longer gaps between the ICE powering up, which again leads to better mpg.

Other plusses are it fits entirely under the passenger seat, so no intrusion into the boot, and it'll be much cheaper to replace than any of the other hybrid batteries in the infinitesimally small chance of it ever having a problem. (With the way the Battery is managed I expect it will outlive the car. It'll definitely outlive any EV Battery that sees similar mileage!)

I bought the 2L excel in November. I wanted the power as i didn't want a big drop in performance compared to my previous car. For the first month i drove as economically as i could keeping safety in mind ( like not being to slow when joining a motorway ). I got upto 49.6 mpg , from what I've read so far from other drivers who use a mixture of roads types thats about what you can expect at this time of year with the colder weather, (engine fetting to temperature, using heated seats etc)

However like yourself, im not a boy racer but i do enjoy driving,  so since January I've just driven without worrying about my fuel economy,  using the power as i would have in my previous car. My mpg has dropped to 47.6 and hasn't gone lower. I will do the same test when we have warmer weather but my figures should only improve. 

My driving style sounds similar to yours so i think you would find similar results to me. I enjoy using the power, i wouldn't trade the power for better fuel economy in the 1.8L, especially when the car is loaded up with my family and all our gear when we go away on trips etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, StreetHawk said:

A test drive in each is the best way to compare, sounds like you’ll prefer the 2.0 but you may find the 1.8 is all you need. 

If you’re still not sure then ask for a second, longer test drive the next day. I’ve done this on the last two cars I bought and can’t tell you how helpful it was. It’s hard to judge a car on first drive, esp if the dealer is with you. If you can drive it, go home and gather your thoughts that night then drive it again the next day it really helps. 

Good advice, yes was thinking along these lines. Off in an hour so will see how it goes.

4 hours ago, Tristan. S said:

I bought the 2L excel in November. I wanted the power as i didn't want a big drop in performance compared to my previous car. For the first month i drove as economically as i could keeping safety in mind ( like not being to slow when joining a motorway ). I got upto 49.6 mpg , from what I've read so far from other drivers who use a mixture of roads types thats about what you can expect at this time of year with the colder weather, (engine fetting to temperature, using heated seats etc)

However like yourself, im not a boy racer but i do enjoy driving,  so since January I've just driven without worrying about my fuel economy,  using the power as i would have in my previous car. My mpg has dropped to 47.6 and hasn't gone lower. I will do the same test when we have warmer weather but my figures should only improve. 

My driving style sounds similar to yours so i think you would find similar results to me. I enjoy using the power, i wouldn't trade the power for better fuel economy in the 1.8L, especially when the car is loaded up with my family and all our gear when we go away on trips etc. 

Your experience exactly matches my neighbours who has had his for 6 months now. I will try both 1.8 and 2.0 and see what I think. Thanks.

If possible please drive the 1.8 first then the 2.0. The reason is I drove the 2.0 first and was completely blown away with it. So when I drove the 1.8 afterwards it felt as flat as a pancake and probably got a bias impression of it.

• Like 1

1.8 is more than adequate for everyday use...but is adequate enough really? Always nice to have that extра bump in power

my 2.0 average yesterday was 5.9 l/100 (48mpg). Did about 200km, and at some point was blasting down an empty highway way above the limit. otherwise all time average is 5.5 L/100 which is 51.3 UK MPG. 

When comparing 50 and 65 mpg the difference sounds big in numbers, but is it really going to break the bank?

Honda were even worse with the top spec Jazz. They gave it halfway large tyres so you paid a premium for not having 'normal' tyres and an additional premium for not having really large tyres. I think mine were 185/60R14 and there was never much choice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RzrAzr said:

. When comparing 50 and 65 mpg the difference sounds big in numbers, but is it really going to break the bank?

If my maths is correct the difference between 50mpg and 65mpg is 30%.  If the government was going to increase the price of Petrol by 30% I am sure you wouldn’t be saying “that’s ok, it is not going to break the bank”. 😀

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RzrAzr said:

1.8 is more than adequate for everyday use...but is adequate enough really? Always nice to have that extра bump in power

my 2.0 average yesterday was 5.9 l/100 (48mpg). Did about 200km, and at some point was blasting down an empty highway way above the limit. otherwise all time average is 5.5 L/100 which is 51.3 UK MPG. 

When comparing 50 and 65 mpg the difference sounds big in numbers, but is it really going to break the bank?

That is a huge difference especially for high mileage drivers( company, taxi, delivery etc). My car is 1.8 and saves me an average of £2000 of fuel bill per year in comparison with what I had previously, and in 4 years time the savings from petrol actually paid off the car itself. I could have converted it to lpg and save an extra £1000 per year but didn’t want to touch what was a factory sealed car and still it is. I am doing 50+mpg winter and 60+ summer. For private use or up to 20k miles per year the 2.0 especially in TS variants will make a lot more sense 👍

• Like 2

I got my new ts 1.8 design 22 model and just refilled my first tank, measured 58 mpg pump to pump, however the computer was very close just 1,5 more, also this includes air con and heated seats and few cold mornings at 1-5 degrees, I'm happy with that and most of my trips are b-roads...everything works as expected and wireless Apple car play is amazing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ablackash said:

I got my new ts 1.8 design 22 model and just refilled my first tank, measured 58 mpg pump to pump, however the computer was very close just 1,5 more, also this includes air con and heated seats and few cold mornings at 1-5 degrees, I'm happy with that and most of my trips are b-roads...everything works as expected and wireless apple car play is amazing.

That is impressive economy considering the weather & use of heated seats - expect a decent improvement in the warmer months too 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Catlover said:

If my maths is correct the difference between 50mpg and 65mpg is 30%.  If the government was going to increase the price of Petrol by 30% I am sure you wouldn’t be saying “that’s ok, it is not going to break the bank”. 😀

When were we ever happy with a pointless increase in pricing of anything? 🙂 But 30% of monetary difference (and that is the best case scenario) won't make much of a difference for me, since I drive about a 1,000km per month. That's like what, 10-15 euros? And as far as I know, a lot of hybrid owners do double of that mileage at most. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That is a huge difference especially for high mileage drivers( company, taxi, delivery etc). My car is 1.8 and saves me an average of £2000 of fuel bill per year in comparison with what I had previously, and in 4 years time the savings from petrol actually paid off the car itself. I could have converted it to lpg and save an extra £1000 per year but didn’t want to touch what was a factory sealed car and still it is. I am doing 50+mpg winter and 60+ summer. For private use or up to 20k miles per year the 2.0 especially in TS variants will make a lot more sense 👍

of course I meant private use. If the vehicle is the source of the income then it is a completely different story...granted the driver knows how to operate said hybrid vehicle. Seen far too many taxi drivers thrash that 1.8 on Priuses. 

9 hours ago, RzrAzr said:

But 30% of monetary difference (and that is the best case scenario) won't make much of a difference for me, since I drive about a 1,000km per month. That's like what, 10-15 euros?

It’s an interesting point of view. I, too, am driving about 1000km per month. Relatively, the high price of fuel is not directly a major concern to me.

I am not sure everyone in a similar position to you and I, recently acquired new cars, would necessarily feel the same. I do know people who run out of fuel to get to a cheaper petrol station.

An aside, with a Yaris IV, the difference in price between the local village petrol stations and the supermarket has to be of the order of 0,20 € to make the roughly 40 km round trip worthwhile.